SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

BF better step up and announce at the end of the season Jones is gone.

Are you going step up and announce you are contributing to help fund the the buyout?

Or are you just venting because UND got a non-conference road win when you predicted that wouldn't have any the rest of the season?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are you going step up and announce you are contributing to help fund the the buyout?

Or are you just venting because UND got a non-conference road win when you predicted that wouldn't have any the rest of the season?

why do you love Jones so much? He has 3 winning seasons over 9 years all in the GWC. UND could do so much better, but then I am sure you thought Mussman was a good coach too.

• Upvote 1

So the Junior Athletic Directors are pretty quiet. I'm not saying that beating Bradley was a great accomplishment - it was a nice road win and we saw some new faces step up and show their talent. According to the play-by-play we got hosed in several key calls, had some really stupid plays by young players and still pulled it out - not sure how you blame the coach for a player getting a technical or a guy jumping in the lane too early on a cruicial free throw but some will find a way.

I will stand on my soapbox again and say that the "Fire the Coach" threads do nothing to support or improve the program. But as gets shared here quite often - it's a free country, I don't have to read here, I'm accepting mediocrity so as the old Budweiser commercials used to say "Carry on Junior Athletic Directors, you are the ones that sit in your armchair, never played the game yet have the unique skills to know what every coach should have done after the fact..this Bud's for you!" 

I suppose you still think Mussman should have the FB head coaching job? If you answer "yes" to that question, then you really haven't learned the lessons of history, have you?

Nice road win, but we'll have to wait and see what happens the rest of the season before we can call this the start of a turnaround.

• Upvote 1

I got news for you, Mr. Conscience of SS.com, but it isn't our job to come up with the buyout money. It's Faison's...and the Alumni Association's as well. That is how we got rid of Mussman. Of course, our benefactors need to know that the need for buyout funds exists and that once again is on the Athletic Department....not me and not you.

As for what I would contribute, I can't contribute much, but I probably would throw in a token check to help move matters along.

• Upvote 2

Craig was not good enough for UND to even interview? Signature Win for Craig and USD, Do we have one...?

That was the result of Mr. Tom Buning and his asinine criteria he used to hire Jones to replace Rich Glas. I think it included "minimum five years Division I experience" and "a Master's Degree". The fact is, every coach starts out someplace small and then gets bigger jobs as they build on their resumes. Craig Smith is one example of that.

• Upvote 1

And surprisingly the Gophers were the ones who had to come back to tie it. As I believe, USD led at halftime and later in the game.

Big Ten probably looking at not scheduling any more "low/mid major" teams. :lol:

I call the B1G's rule against scheduling FCS teams "The Minnesota Rule". You can thank Tim Brewster and NDSU for making that possible.:D

• Upvote 1

why do you love Jones so much? He has 3 winning seasons over 9 years all in the GWC. UND could do so much better, but then I am sure you thought Mussman was a good coach too.

Have never stated I loved him (nor am I his wife or brother for that matter). I've stated I believe he's coaching for his job and without a pretty good showing, there's a good chance it is his final year on the bench for UND. I said the same thing on Mussman. He did just enough to get an extension and it didn't work but he wasn't going to be let go with multiple years remaining on his contract.

I got news for you, Mr. Conscience of SS.com, but it isn't our job to come up with the buyout money. It's Faison's...and the Alumni Association's as well. That is how we got rid of Mussman. Of course, our benefactors need to know that the need for buyout funds exists and that once again is on the Athletic Department....not me and not you.

Of course it is, but there's still a budget and it doesn't have a ton of room to pay two head coaches for multiple years which is why it wasn't likely that he was going to be let go with multiple years remaining on his contract.

Objectively speaking, it is my belief that since Faison paid for the extension that may or may not have been warranted, he can also pay for the buyout that may or may not be forthcoming.

This is fair. Guessing there was a concession on the salary for an additional year or two on the extension, which in hindsight was a roll of the dice that did not work out.

• Upvote 1

Oh don't worry, some of us have played plenty of games at the high school and collegiate level in multiple sports. Some of us have played for and seen good solid coaching and can easily tell the difference when we see it.  Not too hard to identify.

But not likely many of the 5 who up voted your post.;)

Craig was not good enough for UND to even interview? Signature Win for Craig and USD, Do we have one...?

The jury is still out if this is a signature win - if Minnesota doesn't even make the NIT not so much - however it could qualify as an NCAA "Quality Loss" for Minnesota if USD progresses :) 

So the Junior Athletic Directors are pretty quiet. I'm not saying that beating Bradley was a great accomplishment - it was a nice road win and we saw some new faces step up and show their talent. According to the play-by-play we got hosed in several key calls, had some really stupid plays by young players and still pulled it out - not sure how you blame the coach for a player getting a technical or a guy jumping in the lane too early on a cruicial free throw but some will find a way.

I will stand on my soapbox again and say that the "Fire the Coach" threads do nothing to support or improve the program. But as gets shared here quite often - it's a free country, I don't have to read here, I'm accepting mediocrity so as the old Budweiser commercials used to say "Carry on Junior Athletic Directors, you are the ones that sit in your armchair, never played the game yet have the unique skills to know what every coach should have done after the fact..this Bud's for you!" 

It was a road win, and with this young group, we'll take it and be happy. No reason to rip into Coach Jones, even when there are instances you could point out that were questionable decisions (i.e. substitutions, or lack thereof. OB plays not changing).  But, they made a change defensively that helped them get a ROAD WIN.  Let them enjoy the win, I am betting there will be plenty more opportunities to post about firing Coach Jones. 

Regarding this thread does nothing to support or improve the program.  I would argue to the contrary.  It is typical for the "fanatics", and die-hard fans to be the most vocal and generally lead these discussions.  When there is enough support for a change, admins usually listen.  I will say again, the admin is aware of the situation and I am optimistic that it will be dealt with at the end of the season. 

• Upvote 2

Well, I guess we can change the name to the "Friendly hhat about how everyone feels about the honorable Coach Brian Jones - be respectful please" thread!!:)

What some may not realize is this thread was created after the numerous posts in game threads calling for Jones's head 2 years ago. I only created the thread to centralize those posts, and here we are in Jones' tenth year talking about the same stuff we were in his 8th year.