SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

This thread is going on 2 years and it's the same crap by Jones. Faison better do something and quick or else we have another major program that will need to be rebuilt from the ground up and we saw how football hasn't fully recovered with the attendance and fan base. People get canned early in the year in other sports why not let the assistant coaches try something new with the young guys maybe they know something that Jones isn't doing.

After awhile, you just have to ask yourself "Is Jones the best UND can do in terms of leadership for men's basketball?" 

Of course, the answer is no. Hopefully this has been dragged on due to financial/contract limitations and nothing more, because Brian Jones is not a good leader of men or a proper representative of UND athletics. Period. 

Obviously, the season must play itself out still, but my opinion of Jones has been the same for a few years now; he doesn't have the qualities. Time to move on, Mr. Faison. 

• Upvote 1

So we are all aware obviously that UNI is an excellent program, in fact this year's team is likely the best basketball team that's ever been in the Sioux Center.   Even knowing that, seriously a 46 point loss on our home floor?  The game was basically over by the 2nd media timeout.  Even while acknowledging how good UNI is, this has to rank right up there as one of the most embarrassing losses of the Jones era.  Ranks right up there with the time he lost to Mayville on our home floor IMO.  I know he has quite few embarrassing losses under his belt over his decade of coaching here, so feel free to add to the list.

I didn't hear the interview but it certainly appeared on TV that Jones, in shaking hands with Jake, kept walking with no eye contact.  It looked to me like Jake wanted to have a brief conversation.  Very classless on Jones' part!

Man, I noticed the same thing, thought I was just being dumb since he just got worked, but yeah, show more class I guess.

give jones a raise and extension ..lucky to have him... 

I agree. Jones coaches the team to a National Championship every year, its just his players that ruin his great coaching. Just ask him. I would personally love to see him get an extension, but he should be fired before the end of the season. Don't give him any reason to keep him, like maybe finishing around .500 in a league you should be doing better in. His interview after the game should at least give Faison a reason to talk to him. You can't blame everything on your players.

I agree. Jones coaches the team to a National Championship every year, its just his players that ruin his great coaching. Just ask him. I would personally love to see him get an extension, but he should be fired before the end of the season. Don't give him any reason to keep him, like maybe finishing around .500 in a league you should be doing better in. His interview after the game should at least give Faison a reason to talk to him. You can't blame everything on your players.

agreed.  To not take any credit as a coach when you get run off the court in the first 10 minutes is chicken !@#$. He has to go.  It's embarrassing.  Lots of very good D2 coaches in the area looking for an opportunity. 

agreed.  To not take any credit as a coach when you get run off the court in the first 10 minutes is chicken !@#$. He has to go.  It's embarrassing.  Lots of very good D2 coaches in the area looking for an opportunity. 

Walthal from MSUM would be a great hire for UND, but I think time is running out until he gets a D1 offer. He has D1 experience at Iowa. I personally hope you don't get him, but he would be turn your current talent into a top 2 BSC team immediately. 

Walthal from MSUM would be a great hire for UND, but I think time is running out until he gets a D1 offer. He has D1 experience at Iowa. I personally hope you don't get him, but he would be turn your current talent into a top 2 BSC team immediately. 

He is going to get snatched this year.  Zero question. Where he will go.... who knows?

• Upvote 1

"That was an embarrassing performance, not only for themselves (his players), for their families, for this program, ummm because they are better than that". 

Nothing said about himself at all.  Completely throws his players under the bus while taking zero blame himself, just saying "the program" all the time.

The only thing embarrassing has been the multiple blow-out losses that we are all supposed to poo-poo away every year.  :silly:

"That was an embarrassing performance, not only for themselves (his players), for their families, for this program, ummm because they are better than that". 

Nothing said about himself at all.  Completely throws his players under the bus while taking zero blame himself, just saying "the program" all the time.

The only thing embarrassing has been the multiple blow-out losses that we are all supposed to poo-poo away every year.  :silly:

wwe111.png

• Upvote 2

I have been advocating for Jones to retain his job and wait to see what he does with all the young talent he had coming in.  After watching the game and seeing things that you should never see any head coach do (and hoping to see some adjustments most coaches figure out), then watching the video...I say fire him!  I will be contacting Faison Monday AM, I suggest everyone contact as many people they can and ask them to do the same.  The most effective example to use for a reason is the drubbing on the court, leading to the interview where he takes no blame.  THAT IS  NOT A LEADER OF YOUNG MEN!

compare that response in a difficult situation to the one below. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3889465-und-football-big-sky-dumbfounded-fcs-playoff-picks

I just looked at Jones' assistants: very young. That echos to me of when Mussman protected himself by having two young, inexperienced coordinators (neither ready for an "interim" tag). 

I won't be fooled by that again, nor should Brian Faison. 

I say put the "interim" title on Shawn Dirden and start doing due diligence. 

• Upvote 2