SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

You are correct on James coaching but there was still no buyout required to move Boots along, they just didn't renew his contract and he wasn't very happy about it.  James was also the likely next head coach until they found out that they could get Smith for what they got him for. 

I don't think anyone would complain if we had Smith but I haven't seen people step up to pay the buyout of the current head coach's contract that would have been necessary.  Same thing with getting Walthall. 

I would at least hope that Faison has made an actual effort to raise the buyout funds that are only necessary due to his monumentally bad decision to extend Jones' contract so far into the future. 

• Upvote 3

USD didn't have to pay a buyout due to their state law only allowing 1 year contracts for state employees.

And while USD had a winning record, they went from 12-18 to 17-16, the same kind of "winning" record that Jones has rightfully been ripped for. An improvement for a first year coach no doubt, but had it not been for 2 sub D-1 games, they would have had a losing record.

If it wasn't for 2 sub D1 games in 2013-14, Jones would've had a losing season.

If it wasn't for 2 sub D1 games in 2013-14, Jones would've had a losing season.

Yes.  And did you read any of the rest of what I wrote?  I specifically stated that Jones has rightfully been ripped for some of his "winning" seasons and to turn around and give Smith credit for one that was almost exactly the same is pretty hypocritical outside of it being a decent improvement for a first year head coach.

Yes. And did you read any of the rest of what I wrote? I specifically stated that Jones has rightfully been ripped for some of his "winning" seasons and to turn around and give Smith credit for one that was almost exactly the same is pretty hypocritical outside of it being a decent improvement for a first year head coach.

There is a big difference in year 1 and year 9 of coaching, especially at the DI level. .500 for year 1 is good, .500 at year 3 post transition ( and 9th year overall) is not good.

Did Rich Glas have any time left on his contract when he departed? Because I don't recall any talk of a buyout.

If I recall correctly, everyone other than the hockey coach was on one year contracts until Buning got here. I seem to remember press releases around that time that Roebuck and Lennon were the first coaches (other than hockey) to get multi year contracts.

If I recall correctly, everyone other than the hockey coach was on one year contracts until Buning got here. I seem to remember press releases around that time that Roebuck and Lennon were the first coaches (other than hockey) to get multi year contracts.

You may very well be correct on that. I know when  Rivard was let go, she only had about six months left on her contract. I suppose that does make for a much easier decision for an a.d. But like I've said before, unless you're really, really confident in a coach's ability, don't hand out a contract extension if you're not pretty confident you can raise the funds necessary to buy it out if things go bad.

You may very well be correct on that. I know when Rivard was let go, she only had about six months left on her contract. I suppose that does make for a much easier decision for an a.d. But like I've said before, unless you're really, really confident in a coach's ability, don't hand out a contract extension if you're not pretty confident you can raise the funds necessary to buy it out if things go bad.

I wonder how much the Mussman buyout effects Jones?

Probably only in the sense that whichever alums/boosters who footed the bill for Mussman's buyout may not feel quite as compelled to bail out Faison's poor decisions twice in such a short period of time.

Probably only in the sense that whichever alums/boosters who footed the bill for Mussman's buyout may not feel quite as compelled to bail out Faison's poor decisions twice in such a short period of time.

That was my thoughts, especially since they have probably been hit up for funds for the IPF as well. I am thinking he stays due to money

It was worth it, Bubba has things turned around, too bad one program sinks another, in the 90's and early 2000's, the major programs were all flying high, hockey, M&W basketball, and football.

It was worth it, Bubba has things turned around, too bad one program sinks another, in the 90's and early 2000's, the major programs were all flying high, hockey, M&W basketball, and football.

Football absolutely was but for how often some of these guys get hit up, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Jones one more year.

I think this article explains, to a large extent, the thinking behind the now infamous contract extensions for Mussman and Jones: http://www.bakkentoday.com/event/article/id/396398/publisher_ID/1/

Most of UND’s high-profile coaches were given contract extensions last summer, including Jones, football coach Chris Mussman, men’s hockey coach Dave Hakstol, women’s hockey coach Brian Idalski and volleyball coach Ashley Hardee.

Some of those contract extensions, Faison said, were partly a trade-off for UND’s salary shortcomings.

“One reason was to provide stability given where we are with salary,” Faison said. “At the end of the day, we have to continue to work on salaries of both our head coaches and assistant coaches.” 

Makes sense, but hurts when only 1 of the 4 works out.

If I'm a coach and think I'm being underpaid relative to my peers, why do I want to extend my low-paying contract even longer? I suppose the thinking is--if I do badly, the lengthy contract guarantees me a decent buyout. And if I do well, they'll have to renegotiate, or risk losing me. Either way, the coach is in a better position than the school. 

Wouldn't 1 year be a small sample size to say a coach has turned a program around? I like Bubba and believe he will do a nice job but too early to say he has turned the program around.

Football absolutely was but for how often some of these guys get hit up, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Jones one more year.

Agreed.  Much easier to clamor for a coach to be let go when someone else is footing the bill for the buyout even if a change in directions is justified. 

Wouldn't 1 year be a small sample size to say a coach has turned a program around? I like Bubba and believe he will do a nice job but too early to say he has turned the program around.

I think its quite apparent that he has turned football around already.  Only one year, true, but you could tell a difference in the players. And you could see the difference on the field.   Hopefully that equals more wins, but the program is in a better place.

I think its quite apparent that he has turned football around already.  Only one year, true, but you could tell a difference in the players. And you could see the difference on the field.   Hopefully that equals more wins, but the program is in a better place.

And he did a lot of housecleaning; guys that weren't on board either left or were given the boot.

• 7 months later...