SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Saw the article about the Champion's Club lunch tomorrow and list of speakers, and got me wondering about Jones.  Did a little look back and didn't see his name on the docket for any prior meetings in the past year?  Hakstol, Berry, Bubba, Idalski, Pryor, Brewster all there at one time or another.  Maybe I'm missing something.  

Edited by Shawn-O

Saw the article about the Champion's Club lunch tomorrow and list of speakers, and got me wondering about Jones.  Did a little look back and didn't see his name on the docket for any prior meetings in the past year?  Hakstol, Berry, Bubba, Idalski, Pryor, Brewster all there at one time or another.  Maybe I'm missing something.He   

I can confirm that he is usually there if the men's team is in town, same as the other coaches.

• Upvote 1

USD beat the Gophers today. That Craig Smith guy can coach a little bit, huh?

And surprisingly the Gophers were the ones who had to come back to tie it. As I believe, USD led at halftime and later in the game.

Big Ten probably looking at not scheduling any more "low/mid major" teams. :lol:

• Upvote 1

And surprisingly the Gophers were the ones who had to come back to tie it. As I believe, USD led at halftime and later in the game.

Big Ten probably looking at not scheduling any more "low/mid major" teams. :lol:

It's okay we have our signature win this year against the Big...well MAC.

So the Junior Athletic Directors are pretty quiet. I'm not saying that beating Bradley was a great accomplishment - it was a nice road win and we saw some new faces step up and show their talent. According to the play-by-play we got hosed in several key calls, had some really stupid plays by young players and still pulled it out - not sure how you blame the coach for a player getting a technical or a guy jumping in the lane too early on a cruicial free throw but some will find a way.

I will stand on my soapbox again and say that the "Fire the Coach" threads do nothing to support or improve the program. But as gets shared here quite often - it's a free country, I don't have to read here, I'm accepting mediocrity so as the old Budweiser commercials used to say "Carry on Junior Athletic Directors, you are the ones that sit in your armchair, never played the game yet have the unique skills to know what every coach should have done after the fact..this Bud's for you!" 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So the Junior Athletic Directors are pretty quiet. I'm not saying that beating Bradley was a great accomplishment - it was a nice road win and we saw some new faces step up and show their talent. According to the play-by-play we got hosed in several key calls, had some really stupid plays by young players and still pulled it out - not sure how you blame the coach for a player getting a technical or a guy jumping in the lane too early on a cruicial free throw but some will find a way.

I will stand on my soapbox again and say that the "Fire the Coach" threads do nothing to support or improve the program. But as gets shared here quite often - it's a free country, I don't have to read here, I'm accepting mediocrity so as the old Budweiser commercials used to say "Carry on Junior Athletic Directors, you are the ones that sit in your armchair, never played the game yet have the unique skills to know what every coach should have done after the fact..this Bud's for you!" 

I still say fire him. Yes it was a win, but that win doesn't excuse what he has done (or not done) in the now 10 years of coaching. He has this program free falling and BF better step up and announce at the end of the season Jones is gone. Recruiting, attendance, media, all could be better with a new coach as we saw with the football team. If you want to hang on to Jones because of a double OT win against big bad Bradley, then by all means go for it, while I and others can still see this as a long season just like last year. If we can stay within 10 of NDSU I will be impressed.

• Upvote 1

us Junior Athletic Directors are looking at the body of work over 9.5 years rather than pointing to a particular game.   I know what the ceiling is with Jones.  We all do; whether we want to admit to knowing what that ceiling is or not is what determines our outlook on the future of the program with or without him. 

• Upvote 4

us Junior Athletic Directors are looking at the body of work over 9.5 years rather than pointing to a particular game.   I know what the ceiling is with Jones.  We all do; whether we want to admit to knowing what that ceiling is or not is what determines our outlook on the future of the program with or without him. 

Those that "will stand on my soapbox" in this thread are the same ones that felt Muss should have been given more of an opportunity leading the FB program.

#greatwesttitlesrock

• Upvote 4

We beat a 1-7 Bradley team and it took 2 overtimes? Who is responsible for Team discipline? (the players?) Some mistakes happen over and over again with no adjustment. 

Anyone focus on our warm-up drills it looks like a "Dunk Contest", do not see UNI doing that?

All being said you get what you pay for, until UND wants to pay 500,000 a year for a D1 Coach (Miles, Jake, Mac), we will be what we are.

We do not even pay our Hockey Coach 500,000 and  we are a Hockey School, sad but true.

We beat a 1-7 Bradley team and it took 2 overtimes? Who is responsible for Team discipline? (the players?) Some mistakes happen over and over again with no adjustment. 

Anyone focus on our warm-up drills it looks like a "Dunk Contest", do not see UNI doing that?

All being said you get what you pay for, until UND wants to pay 500,000 a year for a D1 Coach (Miles, Jake, Mac), we will be what we are.

We do not even pay our Hockey Coach 500,000 and  we are a Hockey School, sad but true.

USD, SDSU and NDSU don't even pay 200k.  Look what they get.  

• Upvote 1