SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I just looked at Jones' assistants: very young. That echos to me of when Mussman protected himself by having two young, inexperienced coordinators (neither ready for an "interim" tag). 

I won't be fooled by that again, nor should Brian Faison. 

I say put the "interim" title on Shawn Dirden and start doing due diligence. 

Faison could give himself all the time he needs if he pulls the trigger now.  

Jones needs to be let go as soon as possible. Some believe that the team will be more successful without him.  It certainly can't get worse. He has given multiple games to use for reasoning to be let go, including just recently.  But the most recent, glaring issues, I believe, happened yesterday.  He sat down in the first half and stopped coaching entirely, he became a spectator.  I have never see a coach become that disinterested.  Then, he had a terrible interview and took no blame for the loss, pushing it all on his players.  Again, I have never seen a coach who takes that bad of a loss and not take the blame.  That is exactly when he should say he failed preparing them  I could give plenty more instances, but the most recent ones are reason enough to be let go.  If a coach is ill-prepared and/or disinterested for a game like that, either way it shows he just doesn't care or is not suited for the position.

• Upvote 2

Name one time that a Jones team had a team strategy, a recognizable offense, or played together as a unit.  We are digging ourselves another Musshole and condemning another program to over a decade of mediocrity and crappy play.  Absolutely no leadership from Jones or Faison.  Time to contact the AD. 

• Upvote 2

I don't know where we'd be if timing had been different with Ben Jacobson. Maybe he takes over UND and coaches here until he's old and gray?? Maybe Ben coaches at UND and moves on to bigger and better anyway (UNI)? Or maybe he never had a desire to be the head coach at UND? I always have felt that UND let Ben get away. 

This is the guy that UND athletics admin has to pursue. http://www.msumdragons.com/coaches.aspx?rc=558

Don't let this guy get away. 

Friend of mine made  me laugh with all this mess. He said, when Ben Jacobson got the applause it pissed off Jones. So Jones decided to show them how well the team could do without him coaching them.   :)

What was your friend's reasoning for all of the other debacles over the years?

This is Jones' tenth season. That means he's completed 9 full seasons. 

Put another way, he has 18 "campaigns" behind him (9 regular seasons, 9 conference seasons).

In those 18 "campaigns", how many times has his team finished above 0.600?

One.

Career marks at UND: Conference 0.452, Overall 0.454

With a percentage like that he'd be a bad weather forecaster. Even they bat 0.500.

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 2

It's funny to see the comments early on in this thread calling for more time and this team is young and all the other excuses but yet one factor never changed and it was the poor coaching each team got from Jones. From the 13-14 team all the way to this team today. This program is headed down the tubes like the football program did and it's Faison's fault for not canning Jones last season. It was nice to see Bubba in the stands supporting the kids on the court. 

Edited by darell1976

I don't know where we'd be if timing had been different with Ben Jacobson. Maybe he takes over UND and coaches here until he's old and gray?? Maybe Ben coaches at UND and moves on to bigger and better anyway (UNI)? Or maybe he never had a desire to be the head coach at UND? I always have felt that UND let Ben get away. 

This is the guy that UND athletics admin has to pursue. http://www.msumdragons.com/coaches.aspx?rc=558

Don't let this guy get away. 

While his stint with Lickliter might have stalled his career a bit, he's done very well at MSUM. He would be an excellent choice. 

Are our teams getting better? Are we getting better players to come to UND to play? Does the team have the support necessary to be successful? Such as scholarships, facility, coaches pay, president's commitment, marketing etc? Are players  and coaches representing UND the way they should? Is attendance at games adequate?

I just looked at Jones' assistants: very young. That echos to me of when Mussman protected himself by having two young, inexperienced coordinators (neither ready for an "interim" tag). 

I won't be fooled by that again, nor should Brian Faison. 

I say put the "interim" title on Shawn Dirden and start doing due diligence. 

To be honest, I think it has very little to do with protecting himself and pretty much everything to do with the assistant coach salary pool, which is a correlation to the low salary Jones has. He hasn't done anything to earn an increase, so unfortunately the assistant salary pool stays low. It was the driving reason behind Coach Ahelegbe going to USD. It wasn't all that different than one of the issues Mussman faced and a big reason that part of the deal with Bubba was an increased pool including diverting some of what could have been his salary towards the assistant pool. That being said, I'm not going out on a limb by assuming that an increased assistant pool wouldn't have a huge effect on the underlying problem.

Barring some major off-court issues, I really don't see any way that Jones being let go before the season is over. Not my opinion on what should or shouldn't be done, it is my opinion on what will happen. I can't think of a time when UND let a coach go mid-season though I'm sure it has happened. Right or wrong, he'll get the conference schedule to try to make some noise with the team. Not an excuse, but everyone knew the team was going to be young this year, though that is partially on the coach, he built the roster and the W-L have been about as expected, maybe one more win (Youngstown), maybe not depending on how people expected them to fair against Bowling Green. The UNI game was an eye opener. I wasn't able to watch in person, but I did catch some large chunks of it. No way you should be embarrassed like that on your own court. Tomorrow's game against Waldorf won't be a very good measure of how the team responds, but Saturday's game against Bradley will.

Now if UND had some LSU-type boosters who pooled together some money to cover the whole buyout and maybe a little extra to bump up the basketball budget and brought it into Faison's office, I'm sure that would change things.

To be honest, I think it has very little to do with protecting himself and pretty much everything to do with the assistant coach salary pool, which is a correlation to the low salary Jones has. He hasn't done anything to earn an increase, so unfortunately the assistant salary pool stays low. It was the driving reason behind Coach Ahelegbe going to USD. It wasn't all that different than one of the issues Mussman faced and a big reason that part of the deal with Bubba was an increased pool including diverting some of what could have been his salary towards the assistant pool. That being said, I'm not going out on a limb by assuming that an increased assistant pool wouldn't have a huge effect on the underlying problem.

Barring some major off-court issues, I really don't see any way that Jones being let go before the season is over. Not my opinion on what should or shouldn't be done, it is my opinion on what will happen. I can't think of a time when UND let a coach go mid-season though I'm sure it has happened. Right or wrong, he'll get the conference schedule to try to make some noise with the team. Not an excuse, but everyone knew the team was going to be young this year, though that is partially on the coach, he built the roster and the W-L have been about as expected, maybe one more win (Youngstown), maybe not depending on how people expected them to fair against Bowling Green. The UNI game was an eye opener. I wasn't able to watch in person, but I did catch some large chunks of it. No way you should be embarrassed like that on your own court. Tomorrow's game against Waldorf won't be a very good measure of how the team responds, but Saturday's game against Bradley will.

Now if UND had some LSU-type boosters who pooled together some money to cover the whole buyout and maybe a little extra to bump up the basketball budget and brought it into Faison's office, I'm sure that would change things.

The last UND coach I can think of who was let go prior to the end of a season was Shantel Rivard.