SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

7 minutes ago, mj23 said:
Rank Team       Overall Record Conference Record   Sagarin Ranking Massey Ranking Strength of Schedule vs. AGS Top 25 FBS Record Division 1 Wins
#1 Eastern Washington Eagles       9-1 7-0   2 2 3 3-1 1-0 9
#2 North Dakota State Bison       9-1 6-1   1 1 1 5-1 1-0 9

When all the dust settles, NDSU will be a 1 or a 2 seed.  Home games throughout the playoffs.  Bison fans really need just calm down and quit their bitchin!!  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Our receivers didn't seem to be any more open in the 4th quarter than the first three. Studs just decided to trust and throw at them and we went up and got the ball. There were many completions that the defense was right on us.

NAU receivers caught a lot of balls in traffic, too, just shows that's part of the game.  It will be fun watching our young WR's bulk up a little.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

All of Izzo, McFeely, Kolpack, and Peterson thinks UND will get a seed.  Kolpack critical of UND's schedule.  McFeeley thinks UND is one of 5-6 teams that could make it to Frisco.  Kolpack critical of UND's schedule.   Izzo thinks UND and Wichita are headed to MVFC.  Kolpack critical of UND's schedule.  McFeeley was gushing about UND's defense.  Kolpack critical of UND's schedule.

So, what'd Kolpack think of UND's schedule? :lol:

What's more likely this weekend:

NDSU losing at South Dakota
or 
EWU losing at Portland State

NDSU is going to come in hating USD from last season; Portland State will be pulling out all the stops. There's NDSU's #1 seed*.

*And #1 NDSU and #8 UND in Fargodome. 

The final rankings will be announced tomorrow night at 9:00 on ESPNU instead of Thursday like the past couple weeks.

My prediction:

1. EWU

2. NDSU

3. Jacksonville St

4. James Madison

5. Sam Houston

6. The Citadel

7. UND

8. Central Arkansas

9. Richmond

10. SDSU

41 minutes ago, mj23 said:

lol, no it's not.  Big Sky is one of the top conferences for sure but they aren't the better conference.

Your reading comprehension sucks.  He said the Big Sky is better head to head.

40 minutes ago, mj23 said:
Rank Team       Overall Record Conference Record   Sagarin Ranking Massey Ranking Strength of Schedule vs. AGS Top 25 FBS Record Division 1 Wins
#1 Eastern Washington Eagles       9-1 7-0   2 2 3 3-1 1-0 9
#2 North Dakota State Bison       9-1 6-1   1 1 1 5-1 1-0 9

Any ranking system that has UNI ranked in the Top 15 when they're 5-5 can be thrown out.

A win over the #20 FBS team in the country and a lone OT loss to the #2 FCS team on the road is better than a win over an unranked FBS team and a loss at home to a 7-3 FCS team.

Both teams have beat all but one of the AGS Top 25 they've played this year.

• Upvote 2

The teams in contention for the eight seed:

und- (9-2) season complete- 5 wins in sagarins top 40. One fcs lose #48 sagarin, stony

sdsu-(6-3) @ uni-  5 wins in sagarin top 40. Two fcs loses- #25 cal poly, #12 Illinois st.  

Central Arkansas-(9-1) @ Sam Houston-  no top 40 wins (one fbs win) one fcs lose #15 Samford 

chatty-(8-2)- @ Alabama- two top 40 sagarin wins- two fcs loses #13 citadel and #16 wofford

Think it comes down to if central Arkansas beats Sam Houston ...if not, UND looks like the front runner.  Sam would be their only win over a top 40 team all year plus Arkansas st which is an fbs team.  

I could see UND slipping by Richmond for the seventh seed as well.  We have one fcs loss, they have two, one of which is an ass kicking by stony.  

13 minutes ago, mj23 said:

What is confusing about that chart?  5-1 > 3-1 in the top 25.  Head to head win also.  55 Sagarin rating for NDSU to 69 for EW.  You can argue the strength of losses all you want. 

Outside of NDSU one could argue the MVFC is slightly over rated so their are a few more top 25 opponents by voters.  Last year it was all about head to head vs other conferences.  Why not this year?  

1 minute ago, mj23 said:

Big Skys current #1 team was getting blown out by the MVFC 7th place team until they choked in the 4th quarter.  It's not as easy as just a simple head to head.  SDSU was garbage to start the year and have been a much better team since then.  Cal Poly wouldn't beat them again if they played.  UNI was dismantling EW who is the #1-2 team in the big sky and UNI is 4th or 5th. That same 7th place SD team also beat your #3 team.  I would take the top teams in the MVFC over the top Big Sky teams all day.

thanks for your analysis...

25 minutes ago, mj23 said:

What is confusing about that chart?  5-1 > 3-1 in the top 25.  Head to head win also.  55 Sagarin rating for NDSU to 69 for EW.  You can argue the strength of losses all you want. 

2 minutes ago, mj23 said:

Big Skys current #1 team was getting blown out by the MVFC 7th place team until they choked in the 4th quarter.  It's not as easy as just a simple head to head.  SDSU was garbage to start the year and have been a much better team since then.  Cal Poly wouldn't beat them again if they played.  UNI was dismantling EW who is the #1-2 team in the big sky and UNI is 4th or 5th. That same 7th place SD team also beat your #3 team.  I would take the top teams in the MVFC over the top Big Sky teams all day.

I like the NDSU consistency on head to head.

Sagarin is crap.

EWU's biggest win is bigger than NDSU's biggest win.  Or does that not matter that much?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mj23 said:

And who you would take is even more arbitrary than the polls and rankings.  Not worth the bandwidth it took to post it

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

The teams in contention for the eight seed:

und- (9-2) season complete- 5 wins in sagarins top 40. One fcs lose #48 sagarin, stony

sdsu-(6-3) @ uni-  5 wins in sagarin top 40. Two fcs loses- #25 cal poly, #12 Illinois st.  

Central Arkansas-(9-1) @ Sam Houston-  no top 40 wins (one fbs win) one fcs lose #15 Samford 

chatty-(8-2)- @ Alabama- two top 40 sagarin wins- two fcs loses #13 citadel and #16 wofford

Think it comes down to if central Arkansas beats Sam Houston ...if not, UND looks like the front runner.  Sam would be their only win over a top 40 team all year plus Arkansas st which is an fbs team.  

I could see UND slipping by Richmond for the seventh seed as well.  We have one fcs loss, they have two, one of which is an ass kicking by stony.  

I get the feeling that if NDSU is the #1, UND will be #8, and if NDSU is #2, UND will be #7.  I just don't see them not on a collision course for the quarterfinal stage.

12 minutes ago, mj23 said:

Last year it was results.  Moving the goal posts again.  

MVFC is a very good league with teams that would/will present huge challenges to UND should they face one.  I'm just staying consistent to last season that OOC performance is worth something.  Last year the Big Sky didn't compete and didn't get a seed.  Not the case this season.  Results

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

All of Izzo, McFeely, Kolpack, and Peterson thinks UND will get a seed.  Kolpack critical of UND's schedule.  McFeeley thinks UND is one of 5-6 teams that could make it to Frisco.  Kolpack critical of UND's schedule.   Izzo thinks UND and Wichita are headed to MVFC.  Kolpack critical of UND's schedule.  McFeeley was gushing about UND's defense.  Kolpack critical of UND's schedule.

Just read through this and there was almost more UND talk than NDSU. What's with McFeely crushing on UND? Not complaining, its fun to see UND get some attention overall in the region.

Not the overall view of Bison fans, but there are a few on there who said they don't want to play us. I was actually kind of surprised by it all, but thats what makes football fun. Would love to play NDSU in the playoffs. I think that would be a great game and a fun matchup.

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just read through this and there was almost more UND talk than NDSU. What's with McFeely crushing on UND? Not complaining, its fun to see UND get some attention overall in the region.

Not the overall view of Bison fans, but there are a few on there who said they don't want to play us. I was actually kind of surprised by it all, but thats what makes football fun. Would love to play NDSU in the playoffs. I think that would be a great game and a fun matchup.

For sure.  We are definitely on their radar.  At this point, I still think we are 2-3 touchdown underdogs to NDSU, but maybe with newfound health, it could be a game.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

For sure.  We are definitely on their radar.  At this point, I still think we are 2-3 touchdown underdogs to NDSU, but maybe with newfound health, it could be a game.

Maybe, and frankly I would like to see them in the playoffs regardless. Not saying we would win, but even if we lose, it shows you about where you are on the talent scale. Playing a rival and a 5 time national champ with a chance to knock them off; Who wouldn't want that. If UND does go to Fargo, I already have my ticket lined up.

Would definitely be fun.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Maybe, and frankly I would like to see them in the playoffs regardless. Not saying we would win, but even if we lose, it shows you about where you are on the talent scale. Playing a rival and a 5 time national champ with a chance to knock them off; Who wouldn't want that. If UND does go to Fargo, I already have my ticket lined up.

Would definitely be fun.

Yes, I want to meet them in the playoffs, no matter at what stage.

38 minutes ago, mj23 said:

Chilly xmas.JPG

20 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The only reason McFeely is talking UND up so much, is because it drives a lot of NDSU fans crazy. McFeely is a guy that will always take the opposite side of what the majority feels. He'd say the opposite thing if he was doing this with the Herald and UND fans were asking questions.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, mj23 said:

Yeah, let's just see how many teams from each conference makes the playoffs and what happens then.  I think SDSU traveling to UND is a strong possibility after this weekend.  I think UNI will win that game and might even sneak in the playoffs themselves.

UNI is 0-2 vs the Big Sky this year.  Got their wins vs MVFC teams. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mj23 said:

SDSU was garbage against TCU?

• Upvote 1