SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

Unless SDSU or UND get a seed, I'd say it's about 95% that they get matched up in the first round.  And the most likely result would be the winner going to Fargo.  Would love to be matched up with a Western Illinois with the winner getting sent to Sam or out east - so we can play some other teams.....

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Unless SDSU or UND get a seed, I'd say it's about 95% that they get matched up in the first round.  And the most likely result would be the winner going to Fargo.  Would love to be matched up with a Western Illinois with the winner getting sent to Sam or out east - so we can play some other teams.....

You have 6 teams(C. Arkansas, Chattanooga, Villanova, Richmond, SDSU, and UND) who are likely in the hunt for the 7 and 8 seeds which would logically lead you to these teams are your 7th through 12th best teams.......unfortunately for SDSU and UND, if they don't get one of these 2 seeds they will effectively get slotted between 15 and 18 in the playoff brackets.

1 hour ago, BigGame said:

I think SDSU loses at least one more game.  They have some great playmakers on offense but defensively they are very questionable.  If UND beats NAU this weekend I would hope we get into the top 8. 

Question from a newb, if we get into the top 8 do we get a bye in the 1st round?

And what are the chances we could get that bye?

Just now, YourInSiouxCountry said:

With the bye week coming the last week of the season, I don't know if a top 8 would be a good or bad thing.  We do have some guys that sure could use the time off but having 2 weeks off between games is a long time to wait for those guys to get back on the field.

I also have a feeling a couple guys will sit out this week against NAU to heal up, effectively giving them three weeks off until playoffs. I don't think a top 8 seed would be ideal...I also dont think we get one even if we beat NAU. But, a top 8 seed guarantees us a home playoff game.

15 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Question from a newb, if we get into the top 8 do we get a bye in the 1st round?

Yes, it's a 24 team field.  Top 8 seeds get a buy the first week while the other 16 teams face each other.  Right now I would guess we would be 3rd or 4th in line to get the last seed.  Top 6 seeds are pretty much set.  Only way UND gets a seed, imo, is if we win on Saturday and have a few teams lose a game or two in the last two weeks of the season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Yes, it's a 24 team field.  Top 8 seeds get a buy the first week while the other 16 teams face each other.  Right now I would guess we would be 3rd or 4th in line to get the last seed.  Top 6 seeds are pretty much set.  Only way UND gets a seed, imo, is if we win on Saturday and have a few teams lose a game or two in the last two weeks of the season.

Good info, thanks!

15 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yes.  And because our regular season schedule includes a bye in the last week of the regular season, we would end up with 2 bye weeks in a row.  The FCS has 24 teams make the playoffs, top 8 get a bye the first round, bottom 16 play each other.  Due to heavy regionalization (FCS playoffs are a money loser for the NCAA, so they try to operate as cheaply as possible) it rarely works out that the #9 team plays the #24 team.  For example, right now several mock brackets have UND (11) playing at South Dakota State (15) in the first round.

I'd say around 15%.

• Upvote 1

Not playing the last week definitely doesn't help our cause to get a top 8 seed.  Would need 2-3 loses by some really good teams.  So we are most likely looking at playing that first weekend.  That being said, having that bye week at the end of the season is going to be an advantage to whoever we have to play.  This team badly needs a week off to heal up. 

A playoff bye would end up being more like 3 weeks between games. Sure we would be well rested but we'd run into a team that was sharp enough to win a playoff game the week before. I'd say it's a good thing if we can get a w in that first game because our guys would have the advantage of the extra week of rest over other teams late in the playoffs. It's a true catch 22. Let's just beat NAU.

• Upvote 1

I think we'll have a lot better idea come Thursday when the FCS Committee releases their updated rankings. There should be one opening this week with Charleston Southern losing, although Richmond lost, it was to JMU, so they'll stay. I just don't know where UND is ranked in the Committee's mind, compared to teams like SDSU, ect. If they are in this weeks Top 10, I'd put them at 50% for a seed w/ a win this Saturday.

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

A playoff bye would end up being more like 3 weeks between games. Sure we would be well rested but we'd run into a team that was sharp enough to win a playoff game the week before. I'd say it's a good thing if we can get a w in that first game because our guys would have the advantage of the extra week of rest over other teams late in the playoffs. It's a true catch 22. Let's just beat NAU.

This was my concern as well. Great to get rested and healthy, but sucks to be a little rusty heading into a playoff game. 

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

In all reality a seed would be gigantic for UND, a true game changer. It's ridiculous that a spot or two is a difference between getting a first round bye / home game in the second round or playing at SDSU / Montana week 1!

100% agree. I'll take an extra bye week if it means playing in the Alerus Center at home with students back on campus vs. traveling to Brookings or Missoula in round one. You guys are crazy if you don't want UND to get seeded. Would be huge. Need to win Saturday to have a chance.

• Upvote 2

Minimum of one guaranteed home game with a bye.  That game would likely be against a MVFC team or Montana/Poly.  I'll take that any day over a little rust.  

The last few weeks I'm also watching a team that is dealing with injuries every play it seems.   Give them an extra weeks rest, as long as we don't have any Seibel incidents with the additional time off.  

Only concern for me would be conditioning. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, homer said:

Minimum of one guaranteed home game with a bye.  That game would likely be against a MVFC team or Montana/Poly.  I'll take that any day over a little rust.  

The last few weeks I'm also watching a team that is dealing with injuries every play it seems.   Give them an extra weeks rest, as long as we don't have any Seibel incidents with the additional time off.  

Only concern for me would be conditioning. 

Conditioning? Baukol would be running them and having them left quite a bit, especially after the first week. They'd probably get into better shape.