SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

2 hours ago, AJS said:

New Playoff Projection from Craig Haley. Tonight is obviously more important where they are ranked, but Craig seems to be as knowledgeable as it gets (believe he was the only one who predicted that UND wouldn't make it last year).

Playoff Projection.jpg

Nice looking bracket. Obviously this won't be spot on, but I still like the match-ups and obviously UND getting a top 8 seed. 

6 minutes ago, Kap said:

Your arrogance is showing when you say things like "how cute". It shows where you think you are compared to the UND fan thru condescension.

You are an ass, plain and simple. Isn't there a thread for the trolls?

No thread, just don't feed the trolls; especially Bison trolls (or Gopher trolls)!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

They weren't a playoff team because of their loss to UND.

They weren't a playoff team because they lost four games. 

A team that is 7-4 is not a great team, they are good and probably a bubble team. That said any win at the UNI Dome is a great win. 

44 minutes ago, mj23 said:

I agree, 7-4 with a D2 loss shouldn't make the playoffs.

And if they didn't play UND that year they would have run through the 'vaunted' MVFC with only 2 losses, and an FBS loss and would have likely been ranked around number 10 and made the playoffs.  Kind of makes the point.  It certainly wasn't the best team they ever had but they were able to roll through the MVFC and only lose twice.  If all of the other teams were so tough shouldn't they have lost some more games in conference? 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Westside said:

For those that will be scoreboard & game watching Saturday during UND's bye....

Looks like UCA @ SHSU is 2:30 on espn3.  SDSU @ UNI 4:00 on espn3. 

Add Richmond @ William & Mary at 11am.

Nice separation between each games start times.

Richmond @ William & Mary - 11am

UCA @ SHSU - 2:30pm

SDSU @ UNI - 4pm

If two out of the 3 teams that are in bold win, UND is a lock for a seed. If only one wins, then it'll be interesting. IMO, I'm still not sold that Richmond or SDSU would get a seed before UND with a win on Saturday. Would prefer there not to be a discussion though with both losing on Saturday. Love the start times to these games!

13 minutes ago, AJS said:

Add Richmond @ William & Mary at 11am.

Nice separation between each games start times.

Richmond @ William & Mary - 11am

UCA @ SHSU - 2:30pm

SDSU @ UNI - 4pm

If two out of the 3 teams that are in bold win, UND is a lock for a seed. If only one wins, then it'll be interesting. IMO, I'm still not sold that Richmond or SDSU would get a seed before UND with a win on Saturday. Would prefer there not to be a discussion though with both losing on Saturday. Love the start times to these games!

Wouldn't we want Sam to beat UCA since Sam is rated higher? I would think a UCA loss would drop them out of the top 8. I am probably wrong so someone please chime in.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Wouldn't we want Sam to beat UCA since Sam is rated higher? I would think a UCA loss would drop them out of the top 8. I am probably wrong so someone please chime in.

Yes we would, not sure why I did that, fixed on my original post.

17 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I tend to agree with you but the committee this year seems to be more concerned with who you beat than the quality of your loss (last year's committee).  With that in mind, Sam hasn't beaten anybody of note.  But again, will the committee look on their loss to a highly ranked UCA team as one which shouldn't drop them out of the top 8?  Who knows?

When it comes to SDSU and UND for seeding, I would absolutely not put the Jacks ahead of UND (if they beat UNI).  Yes, their win is better but they would have 3 losses with one of those losses coming at home to someone UND has beaten.  Your W/L record has to be the first criteria, then you start parsing the details after that.  Also, we aren't talking about which team is the last team in the playoff field here...we are talking about seeding.  Otherwise we would be REALLY arguing about SOS and whose wins are better.  As it stands, the Jacks will still have any opportunity to prove it on the field.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

I tend to agree with you but the committee this year seems to be more concerned with who you beat than the quality of your loss (last year's committee).  With that in mind, Sam hasn't beaten anybody of note.  But again, will the committee look on their loss to a highly ranked UCA team as one which shouldn't drop them out of the top 8?  Who knows?

When it comes to SDSU and UND for seeding, I would absolutely not put the Jacks ahead of UND (if they beat UNI).  Yes, their win is better but they would have 3 losses with one of those losses coming at home to someone UND has beaten.  Your W/L record has to be the first criteria, then you start parsing the details after that.  Also, we aren't talking about which team is the last team in the playoff field here...we are talking about seeding.  Otherwise we would be REALLY arguing about SOS and whose wins are better.  As it stands, the Jacks will still have any opportunity to prove it on the field.

I can see arguments for both SDSU and UND. I keep pointing to Tuesdays rankings, because imo, if you think SDSU has a better resume, then you put them at #9, UND #10. Winning against a team that would finish under .500 should not move a team ahead of anyone. If that happens, UND fans will have the right to be upset.

1 minute ago, AJS said:

I can see arguments for both SDSU and UND. I keep pointing to Tuesdays rankings, because imo, if you think SDSU has a better resume, then you put them at #9, UND #10. Winning against a team that would finish under .500 should not move a team ahead of anyone. If that happens, UND fans will have the right to be upset.

I agree with that, except the committee has shown themselves to be schizophrenic from week to week.  The rankings have made little sense.

I'll throw another curve ball at you:

What happens to the rankings if ndsu loses this week?  That could knock someone out even with a win (or a bye) as the line shifts downward.

i"ll hang up and listen.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is the thing, I am not sure what to think anymore in terms of ranking. I have a feeling that if Sam lost they would still be in the top 8. Their SOS is not good but the committee seems to have a thing for them and Jacksonville State...who also has a poor SOS. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I agree with that, except the committee has shown themselves to be schizophrenic from week to week.  The rankings have made little sense.

I'll throw another curve ball at you:

What happens to the rankings if ndsu loses this week?  That could knock someone out even with a win (or a bye) as the line shifts downward.

i"ll hang up and listen.

NDSU losing will have no effect on UND or anyone looking at the 7 & 8 spot, they'll just drop down to #4 or #5 and everyone else will shuffle up a spot.