SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

Everyone is trying make the selection process scientific. Problem is that it isn't. Everyone wants to make points that their team is the exception to the process if it helps their team. If the exceptions don't help "your" team then the exceptions don't make sense. How can anybody really know who should be ranked where? The committee needs to makes decisions on situations that are impossible to evaluate scientifically. I always thought that team momentum counted - winning nine in a row should count a lot - cause it helps my team.

3 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Regarding your point above about when a team was ranked, I use Poly as an example.  They were playing outstanding football when they ran all over SDSU and came into the Alerus Center two weeks later.   Slowly, teams have gotten tape on them and slowed down the option.  

Does that mean Poly wasn't one of the Top 10 teams in the country for the first 5-6 weeks of the year?  Not in my mind.  It means their staff hasn't adjusted to what teams are doing, they are having injuries, etc.  

That's definitely a point that is worth discussing. Teams do change a lot as the season progresses. To be able to measure something as nebulous as that seems like the type of thing that would be impossible to be objective about. When USD beat NDSU last year, did they really beat the best team in the country? Based on how NDSU played that day I would say no, but how much of that was due to USD making them look bad? So hard to say.

So, what you're saying absolutely has merit, just have no idea how you would objectively use that information in your assessment of wins and losses.

13 minutes ago, AJS said:

New Playoff Projection from Craig Haley. Tonight is obviously more important where they are ranked, but Craig seems to be as knowledgeable as it gets (believe he was the only one who predicted that UND wouldn't make it last year).

Playoff Projection.jpg

There are some tantalizing matchups there. Chattanooga and us. SDSU EWU. The Citadel Chuck South. Poly and Sam Houston. And then the possible in state quarterfinal.

11 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I actually was going to add that the one year Illinois State played them in the championship so I was going to give them that.  But I got a work call and had to just hit send lol.

UNI is often considered one of your toughest game every year, and probably considered one of the traditional conference power houses am I right?  Roughly 35 years at the FCS level they have one Championship game appearance, with a loss.  That said UNI has a very good program, but they are not mini LSU like some NDSU people like to think just because they usually give you a tough game.   Heck UND beat them at their house in the early 2000's when we were DII. 

The previous couple of years the MVFC I think most could say was the best conference, this year just doesn't bare that out that the conference is head and shoulders above the rest. 

UNI wasn't that great when you beat them and they aren't that great this year, they've had some great teams and wasted a lot of talent. Farley can't get out of his own way, they would be a playoff team this year if he had stuck with a QB that could complete a forward pass earlier this season. 

7 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

UNI wasn't that great when you beat them and they aren't that great this year, they've had some great teams and wasted a lot of talent. Farley can't get out of his own way, they would be a playoff team this year if he had stuck with a QB that could complete a forward pass earlier this season. 

We beat the #3 UNI team in 2006 that finished 7-4 and ranked #17.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

New Playoff Projection from Craig Haley. Tonight is obviously more important where they are ranked, but Craig seems to be as knowledgeable as it gets (believe he was the only one who predicted that UND wouldn't make it last year).

Playoff Projection.jpg

I like this bracket a lot, as you would get to see a lot of matchups that aren't regionalized.  I would love to see Cal Poly take on SHSU, Richmond/Jax State, SDSU/EWU, UND/Chatty or Maine, The Citadel/CSU.  Although I'm still guessing we have SDSU/NDSU/UND in a little pod so that only one makes it through the quarterfinals.

9 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I like this bracket a lot, as you would get to see a lot of matchups that aren't regionalized.  I would love to see Cal Poly take on SHSU, Richmond/Jax State, SDSU/EWU, UND/Chatty or Maine, The Citadel/CSU.  Although I'm still guessing we have SDSU/NDSU/UND in a little pod so that only one makes it through the quarterfinals.

The best of this bracket is a clear shot at the Big Sky title in Frisco. 

10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So know you are ranking teams based on potential?  Any team that plays on top of their game is going to be good.  

Did you eat paint chips as a kid? :D

All MVFC teams should be ranked on potential because they are just obviously better than everybody else, regardless of results on the field.  Other teams gotta win to prove it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

All MVFC teams should be ranked on potential because they are just obviously better than everybody else, regardless of results on the field.  Other teams gotta win to prove it.

Who are we trying to kid, even when other teams win, it still hasn't mattered. See: Big Sky 4, MVFC 3 for proof.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1