SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

1 minute ago, mj23 said:

They were sloppy for a few games early on.  I never said every game. 

Maybe because they had no f'n clue how to stop the triple option?  it was embarrassing for their entire program watching them try to stop that.  Coaching.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mj23 said:

Big Skys current #1 team was getting blown out by the MVFC 7th place team until they choked in the 4th quarter.  It's not as easy as just a simple head to head.  SDSU was garbage to start the year and have been a much better team since then.  Cal Poly wouldn't beat them again if they played.  UNI was dismantling EW who is the #1-2 team in the big sky and UNI is 4th or 5th. That same 7th place SD team also beat your #3 team.  I would take the top teams in the MVFC over the top Big Sky teams all day.

It seems silly to be talking about what almost happened in those games but ignore what did happen.

• Upvote 3

Sagarin and Massey seem (at least to my eye) have a lot of "prior year" weight early in the season. By this point in the season it should be gone; however, that's my only explanation for where UNI keeps showing up ... or are they this year's "quality losses" Western Illinois. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Does "SDSU 28, USD 21" say more about SDSU or USD right now? 

It's a quality win for SDSU.  All MVFC conference wins are quality wins.  Non-conference wins and losses against MVFC teams are only quality if they were against ndsu though.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mj23 said:

Big Skys current #1 team was getting blown out by the MVFC 7th place team until they choked in the 4th quarter.  It's not as easy as just a simple head to head.  SDSU was garbage to start the year and have been a much better team since then.  Cal Poly wouldn't beat them again if they played.  UNI was dismantling EW who is the #1-2 team in the big sky and UNI is 4th or 5th. That same 7th place SD team also beat your #3 team.  I would take the top teams in the MVFC over the top Big Sky teams all day.

Great logic.  I guess if an MVFC team leads in a portion of the game that is more important criteria to the committee than an actual victory.  The truth is the BIG SKY TEAMS won more of the head-to-head battles with the MVFC.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

Always love the MVFC logic how everyone in the conference is so good they beat each other.  that's how good they are!!  Or maybe they are all equally as bad or average.  

But when a NAU, UNC, or Weber knocks off Montana, Cal Poly, etc. it's because Montana and Cal Poly are actually garbage and just got lucky when they beat the mvfc squads.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

But when a NAU, UNC, or Weber knocks off Montana, Cal Poly, etc. it's because Montana and Cal Poly are actually garbage and just got lucky when they beat the mvfc squads.

Good point. I have noticed that for some reason if Montana happens to be down, the general public seems to think the Big Sky is down. They just cannot accept that other teams might be better that year.

Also- It is now safe to say that Montana did not play US this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Good point. I have noticed that for some reason if Montana happens to be down, the general public seems to think the Big Sky is down. They just cannot accept that other teams might be better that year.

You should be careful before you get banned from the internet. UND is lucky they didn't play MT or EWU this year. UND had a soft soft soft schedule, and does not deserve to be ranked, nor in the playoff talk, nor in college football at all. UND only beat Cal Poly because Joe Protheroe did not play. And we play in the Big Fluffy so in reality our 9-0 conference record would equate to about 0-9 in the MVFC.

Did I cover everything?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

You should be careful before you get banned from the internet. UND is lucky they didn't play MT or EWU this year. UND had a soft soft soft schedule, and does not deserve to be ranked, nor in the playoff talk, nor in college football at all. UND only beat Cal Poly because Joe Protheroe did not play. And we play in the Big Fluffy so in reality our 9-0 conference record would equate to about 0-9 in the MVFC.

Did I cover everything?

Haha I think you covered everything!

7 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Montana is still a really tough team to play when they are at home. They've struggled a lot though on the road, so a lot of playing Montana is where.

15 minutes ago, AJS said:

Montana is still a really tough team to play when they are at home. They've struggled a lot though on the road, so a lot of playing Montana is where.

I agree but I am tired of hearing all of the pundits say that we avoided Montana which is why we have a solid record. This year I am all about avoiding EWU because they are impressive and that argument about us avoiding them is valid. 

51 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Always love the MVFC logic how everyone in the conference is so good they beat each other.  that's how good they are!!  Or maybe they are all equally as bad or average.  

Exactly, take NDSU out of that conference and what have they done?  Nobody other than NDSU in that conference has won a National Championship in the past 15 years.  They all lose to NDSU you every year during the regular season, but one team in the conference knocks them off once a year.  Well every team gets a crack at NDSU every single year, so yes most likely a MVFC team is going to be the one to beat them eventually as they know their style and play them every year.   But just the fact that the other teams play NDSU and lose, the other teams in the conference are somehow all better.  MVFC is a very good conference no doubt, I just don't believe they are head and shoulders above the rest like they think they are, and facts don't lie.....Big Sky has a better record of them head to head this year. 

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Does "SDSU 28, USD 21" say more about SDSU or USD right now? 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400871380

The final score likely has more to do with mistakes (including a fumble in the end zone) by SDSU. When you look at the final stats SDSU ran the ball 52 times for over 400 yards and had 630 total yards to USD 353.

Our coaching staff have been working on building up a running game to go with a top 5 FCS passing game. If we get to come to Grand Forks it should be fun. Indoors, turf...

I'll now take my leave and let you continue with your pity party.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, mj23 said:

Just how stupid that post was.  Who said UND didn't belong in the playoffs this year?

It wasn't directed at you man, relax :)

It was more of an exaggerated general joke, about several things that we have hear over the year..... Satirical humor.

Satire is a technique employed by writers to expose and criticize foolishness and corruption of an individual or a society by using humor, irony, exaggeration or ridicule. It intends to improve humanity by criticizing its follies and foibles.

... Kind of goes along the same lines as the "quality losses" jokes that have been on this forum since last year.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, mj23 said:

If this happens you will likely end up playing SDSU for the chance to go to Fargo.  That would be an interesting matchup.

Not sure UND can beat either of them but matchup wise I would rather play NDSU than SDSU and I would rather play either of them than EWU.....not saying one is better than the other and all 3 are tough but UND's best matchup on defense anyway is with NDSU.

8 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400871380

The final score likely has more to do with mistakes (including a fumble in the end zone) by SDSU. When you look at the final stats SDSU ran the ball 52 times for over 400 yards and had 630 total yards to USD 353.

Our coaching staff have been working on building up a running game to go with a top 5 FCS passing game. If we get to come to Grand Forks it should be fun. Indoors, turf...

I'll now take my leave and let you continue with your pity party.

Pity party?  We are stating facts about the Big Sky vs. MVFC this season.  You know, like your game vs Cal Poly which you lost  

• Upvote 3