SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Definitely, if they are out handing them out, then I agree. With these playoff tickets the students have to go pick them up, so there's at least some effort involved. You aren't going to go out of your way (even a little) to just pick up a ticket you aren't going to use. If somebody has them when you walk into the Union and asks if you want one, then yes, those most likely wouldn't be used.

I do hope I am wrong. Hindsight that post probably wasn't necessary - thanks to those who ponied up for the students. 

Did you guys read that article on attendance. This may be the biggest game in our DI history but attendance during the playoffs has not been the greatest in the pat even in late round playoff games. If we get 9k that would say a lot for the new kid on the block team in its first playoff run. We just got to keep improving and the fans will show up.

4 hours ago, sprig said:

http://siouxsports.com/football/history/postseason.htm

Not sure where you'd find attendance,  but I believe you're remembering the 75 game vs Livingston. I was there,  it was nasty

I was there too.  Was 14 years old and rode a bus from the KC club with my dad.  I remember them carrying someone back on the bus after the game.  He got a little too deep into the blackberry brandy.

5 hours ago, sprig said:

To each their own. For a $5/ticket donation it's worth a try to get more students at the game. Spending $5 is not much skin in the game either.

To purchase student tickets, call Caitlyn Marshall at 701-777-0256, office hours 10-6. I've already done mine. Nodak Nation will pick them up and distribute them from the Union ticket office.

Thanks for the info.  I will call and buy some tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but the biggest problem with free tickets for anything is that the person with the tickets has no skin in the game and the possibility of that ticket getting used is pretty low. It's 5 bucks those that are interested will find the money. If you ask a student if they want a free ticket they will probably take it but the odds that they will use it and stay past half time are pretty low. 

Unfortunate truth, I'm afraid. 

Nevertheless, this is a start.

On 11/27/2016 at 5:51 PM, nodak651 said:

FYI, I just ran a dot counting software program to count the remaining seats available on ticketmaster.  Came back at 3,761 available seats.  This doesn't count the student section.  Not sure how accurate it is though ;)

Richmond Sunday.JPG

3115 Currently Left, 646 sold in just over two days. If ticket sales remain steady, we should be looking at not much available for all sections not in the end zone come game time. Leaving only student / opposing team seats left to question. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AJS said:

3115 Currently Left, 646 sold in just over two days. If ticket sales remain steady, we should be looking at not much available for all sections not in the end zone come game time. Leaving only student / opposing team seats left to question. 

So does this mean we are just under 10k at this point?

16 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I'm still not 100% sure I'm able to make it, but planning on it (so haven't got my ticket yet).  I'm guessing there are plenty in similar situations.  I think we should be able to surpass 10k.  Would love to see more......

I'm 100% sure I'm going but haven't bought my ticket yet. I would guess there's a lot of other procrastinators out there also!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, siouxfbfan said:

So does this mean we are just under 10k at this point?

Currently, none of the unused student section seats or Richmond seats are included in the 3,115 number.  Right now, it's looking like that's another 2,000 empty seats (5,000+ total empty).  Still plenty of time for that to improve though.

1 minute ago, GreenWing said:

I'm 100% sure I'm going but haven't bought my ticket yet. I would guess there's a lot of other procrastinators out there also!

Agreed.  I've got 5 going with me.  None have purchased tickets yet, nor will they until we get to GF (screw ticketmaster fees).

12 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Did you guys read that article on attendance. This may be the biggest game in our DI history but attendance during the playoffs has not been the greatest in the pat even in late round playoff games. If we get 9k that would say a lot for the new kid on the block team in its first playoff run. We just got to keep improving and the fans will show up.

"We just need to get above .500 and the fans will show up......"

"We just need to win a conference championship and the fans will show up......"

"We just need to make the playoffs and host a playoff game and the fans will show up......."

Unfortunate that we have to keep moving the goalposts in regards to attendance for football.  Not sure what more this team could do to get people excited and to fill the Alerus for a playoff game!!!  I guess we could have gone 11-0 and been a top 4 seed, but that might not have changed anything!!  I am beginning to believe that the "Winning solves everything" solution to attendance may not be enough.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I am beginning to believe that the "Winning solves everything" solution to attendance may not be enough.  

If you win enough and do it consistently, it does eventually. It isn't an overnight switch though.

Relatively speaking, the mighty FargoU had terrible attendance for their first ever home playoff game (the dome was 2/3's full). And spare me the Thanksgiving weekend excuse, it effects every school but the bandwagon wasn't full yet. And while they got close, they didn't sell out their first playoff game the following season either (~95% full). Will be interesting to see how many student and visitor tickets they release tonight.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

If you win enough and do it consistently, it does eventually. It isn't an overnight switch though.

Relatively speaking, the mighty FargoU had terrible attendance for their first ever home playoff game (the dome was 2/3's full). And spare me the Thanksgiving weekend excuse, it effects every school but the bandwagon wasn't full yet. And while they got close, they didn't sell out their first playoff game the following season either (~95% full). Will be interesting to see how many student and visitor tickets they release tonight.

I realize that it takes time.  Just can't figure out why it takes so long these days.  Being a fan of sports teams is important to me.  Unfortunate that maybe the passion that I had as a student isn't there for students these days.  At least for the majority of them.  I am willing to be patient.  Just feel like this team deserves a full crowd cheering them on this weekend given where they were 3 years ago and all that they have accomplished this season.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I realize that it takes time.  Just can't figure out why it takes so long these days.  Being a fan of sports teams is important to me.  Unfortunate that maybe the passion that I had as a student isn't there for students these days.  At least for the majority of them.  I am willing to be patient.  Just feel like this team deserves a full crowd cheering them on this weekend given where they were 3 years ago and all that they have accomplished this season.

I am guessing the New York hockey game is affecting the football game by over 1,000 butts in seats.  Just tragic timing......many will be watching from New York.

19 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I am guessing the New York hockey game is affecting the football game by over 1,000 butts in seats.  Just tragic timing......many will be watching from New York.

I am tired of hearing this rationalization. There are a lot of people who either cannot afford to go to NYC or couldn't make it work with their schedules. There also are people who cannot afford hockey tickets who probably could afford football tickets that we could get hooked on football if we just get them in the door a couple of times. Those are the people we need to target. Not just for Saturday's game, but for future games. There is a lot of untapped potential for this program when it comes to building the fan base.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I am tired of hearing this rationalization. There are a lot of people who either cannot afford to go to NYC or couldn't make it work with their schedules. There also are people who cannot afford hockey tickets who probably could afford football tickets that we could get hooked on football if we just get them in the door a couple of times. Those are the people we need to target. Not just for Saturday's game, but for future games. There is a lot of untapped potential for this program when it comes to building the fan base.

Not rationalizing, just know personally 15 folks that will be in NY that made most football games this year.  And those 15 folks have family and friends that went to football games because of those folks.  So just a 1st hand account.

I totally agree with the rest of your post.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I like the overall point of your message, I just think the post you quoted doesn't make any sense. I don't really think there's an argument to be made that the hockey team being in NYC is going to have an adverse effect on ticket sales, that's just a fact. There would be a considerable amount (500/1000) that would have attended the Football game this weekend if it weren't for the hockey team being in NYC.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It isn't a rationalization, it is reality: There is a large contingent of the fan base going to NYC that would otherwise definitely be at the football game. That doesn't have anything to do with the rest of your post, because it isn't an either/or thing. Building the fan base remains true regardless of other things effecting attendance and I don't think you'll find anyone disagreeing with the need to continue to work on that.

• Upvote 1