SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

A lot of people believed that he did, based on the low attendance numbers announced to the media. And I think there may be something to it.

I don't remember that but it's awesome. 

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Maybe they were under-counting to keep more of the gate? Terry Wanless was a master of that back in the 1990's.

There was a lot of talk in the Wanless days that playoff game under-counting was going on. It was so obvious for anyone who went to a game and then seen the attendance numbers in the paper the next day.  We would actually laugh how bad that was!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Richmond game had 3,200 people.

So, which is it, 3200 or really 6400? Is under-counting still going on? Keeping in mind, NCAA wants 75% of the gate. Ticketmaster quits selling tickets at 10:00 AM for a 1:00 AM game at the Alerius, Be interesting to see how many seats are available 3 hours prior to Saturday's UND game and factor in an estimate of how many walk-ons show up, and then compare to what attendance is reported?

9 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

UND hockey had 10,867 for a Saturday night game against Michigan St, I understand there will be people go to NY next week but we could only get around 8,000? That would be embarrassing but not surprising.

...........and there was no student section last night.

But if for one evening next Saturday the students show up, the deer hunters stop making sausage, the beet farmers stop counting their money and hockey-only fans not in NYC get off their couches IMO 8000 is a realistic, albeit pathetic, number.

(BTW did I miss any excuses?)

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

UND hockey had 10,867 for a Saturday night game against Michigan St, I understand there will be people go to NY next week but we could only get around 8,000? That would be embarrassing but not surprising.

I think the point has been made..less than 10,000 disappointing, less than 9,000 gnashing of teeth and tearing of clothes, less than 8,000 pit hforks and torches. Personally all i can do is show up and make noise.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

...........and there was no student section last night.

But if for one evening next Saturday the students show up, the deer hunters stop making sausage, the beet farmers stop counting their money and hockey-only fans not in NYC get off their couches IMO 8000 is a realistic, albeit pathetic, number.

(BTW did I miss any excuses?)

Game is too early or too late 

• Upvote 4

After 13 years as a season ticket holder, which has spanned one of the best eras of UND football and one of the worst, and rarely missing a home game in that time, I would personally be very pleasantly surprised if 8,000 people turned out for this game.  I think it will probably be significsntly less. I hope I am wrong,  sad but true IMO, it is what it is.

36 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I have followed this program since 1993, as a student and a season-ticket holder, and I will continue promoting this team and encouraging people to show up and support them. Just shrugging your shoulders and saying "Just the way it is" and "It is what it is" won't change the fan culture in Grand Forks and in North Dakota. Continuing to talk this team up will change it.

Preaching to the quire doesn't necessarily help either.  I'm sure he has encouraged plenty of people to attend games in his time as a season ticket holder.  Go talk to the hockey fans about it.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

No real excuses needed.  Just the way it is.  For the first time everyone needs to actually buy a ticket.  Not getting 10,000 people to do it, IMO.  

Maybe in a couple years after winning some playoff games and becoming a contender.

We aren't a contender now? Shame on you. Don't feed the pessimists.

CONFIDENCE. CONFIDENCE. CONFIDENCE. 

The teams in Missoula, Bozeman, and Fargo were all at one time "non-contenders" that ended up winning their first DI national championship. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

After 13 years as a season ticket holder, which has spanned one of the best eras of UND football and one of the worst, and rarely missing a home game in that time, I would personally be very pleasantly surprised if 8,000 people turned out for this game.  I think it will probably be significsntly less. I hope I am wrong,  sad but true IMO, it is what it is.

Spread the word, buy some tickets for family and friends or just hand the suckers  out.

Be proactive.

Culture change has to start somewhere. It's not even on all the supporters for the big first step; Bubba and the team have already completed the initial steps. 

Dont settle for the lazy excuse of contemporary inadequateness.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Preaching to the quire doesn't necessarily help either.  I'm sure he has encouraged plenty of people to attend games in his time as a season ticket holder.  Go talk to the hockey fans about it.

Many UND hockey fans are NDSU football fans. What do they have in common? They both aren't true fans and they settle for winners (bandwagon fans). 

Until NDSU football CLEARLY goes behind UND via a head-to-head loss, it may be tough to convert UND hockey-only fans. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Most UND hockey fans are NDSU football fans. What do they have in common? They both aren't true fans and they settle for winners (bandwagon fans). 

Until NDSU football CLEARLY goes behind UND will a head-to-head loss, it may be tough to convert UND hockey-only fans. 

Doubt that.  There are no doubt hockey fans that like NDSU football, but I would bet that most don't follow FCS football in general.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Doubt that.  There are no doubt hockey fans that like NDSU football, but I would bet that most don't follow FCS football in general.

There are a good 500 to 1000 "NDSU fans" at every UND hockey game. It is what it is. Those 500 to 1000 would sure make a nice impact at the Alerus if they followed UND football. 

All I was saying is "if" there is only 8-9k people there, you should know why.  I am as passionate about UND football as anyone.

Just stating what I believe to be a legitimate reason why.  Not proud of thinking that way or anything.  I think there should 12K there.

42 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

....beating on the "hockey-only fans" again. Never gets old does it?

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

....beating on the "hockey-only fans" again. Never gets old does it?

I'm not the one telling a season ticket holder to buy other people tickets...  Don't look at me.  I was just pointing him in the right direction if he wants to be angry at somebody for not having a sellout.

I understand that it takes time to build a fan base.  And I'm not telling other people what to do.  I fully understand that it is not realistic to have a sellout at this point in Bubbas tenure.  And I accept that, although it is disappointing.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I'm not the one telling a season ticket holder to buy other people tickets...  

Hmmmmmmmmm......I did that and from a "FB-only fan" that can't make it Saturday and I then got them to someone who would use them. It's not difficult.