SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Football, just as it is everywhere else in the country, is the most popular sport in North Dakota (just assess the number of NFL/Vikings fans). The $100 M Ralph Engelstad Arena and its amenities bring in several folks who are not diehard hockey fans, or not even hockey fans at all for that matter. So, where are all these football fans for UND home games? Well, the NDSU vs. UND argument occurs in the minds of many; when UND produces an obvious advantage over NDSU then I would expect UND will increase their attendance a bunch. In the meantime, its important for UND marketing and us - the supporters - do get the word out as much as possible that UND is quickly closing the gap with NDSU. All of these factors combined, along with UND doing the essential which is to continue winning, will lead to better attendance. 

The most disappointing thing in this whole attendance issue is that we've seen over 10,000 THIS SEASON (in fact, UND had over 11,000 vs USD this season); therefore, you would think UND could get at least that for their first DI playoff game!!!

Ever been pestered by the Herald at Hugos to sign up for their newspaper?  UND should be selling tickets there in the same way with general admission tickets (that they should have).  The ticket office is not creative, and they do not go TO the potential client.  UND needs to ask potential clients to take action, rather than hope they show up.  It's not the solution, but it would help bring in some additional fans, for little to no extra cost.  

Another option: Look what UND Hockey does with the Subway Holiday Classic - combine the hockey incentive with a football incentive.

In regards to NDSU, the best thing that could happen for us, is for them to lose.  Many casual fans drive past UND on their way to the games in Fargo.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

I think we will hit 10,000 but regardless of the number of people who are there, if everyone there is loud on every down, not just third down, we will have a fantastic atmosphere and big advantage.  To everyone complaining about the attendance, commit to stay standing and make some noise on first and second down before you spend any more time griping.  

Attendance was 9,000 vs. NAU and there was a minimum of two false starts forced by the crowd. 

It's game week, below is the current chart. Obviously, there are a lot of seats remaining. Let's break it down into three different sections:

Season ticket sections (202-208, 215, 216) - 1000 Remaining

Student / Opposing team (212-214, 217) - 1900 Remaining

Other (209-211, 201, 218) - 2500 Remaining

Give or take there's around 5,400 tickets available. What's everyone's guess on how many are sold out of each of the 3 groups over the next week?

My guess:

Season Ticket sections - 700 (300 Remaining)

Student / Opposing - 800 (1100 Remaining)

Other - 0 (2500 Remaining)

My guess is pretty middle of the road, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I hope the University really brings it with marketing this week.

1128 Seating Chart.PNG

1128 Seating Chart, II.PNG

So just for fun, I decided to use the above map and count the number of seats that were sold/available.  The numbers are a little skewed because the number of fans in the visitors and the student section are unknown.  But as of right now (give or take a few if some were sold as I was counting) there are 2938 available seats left for the game on Saturday.  

For fun, lets just assume that the student section and the visitor section is going to be full.  That would put the current attendance total for the game at 9345.  And that is with 5 days left to go.  There are a lot of great seats that opened up that season ticked holders did not claim.  Now that Thanksgiving weekend is over and it is game week, I expect there to be a significant increase in ticket sales.  Especially walk up crowd.

Given the numbers of tickets sold already, I don't think that its unrealistic to see a crowd over 10,000. 

5 coming from Minot on Saturday... buying walk up .... guessing should see a nice walk up crowd day of game....after attending this past weekend hockey series going to make trip to watch in person versus staying home to watch football/hockey...hockey effort Friday/Saturday sold 5 tickets for  the football game Saturday ... don't mind losing but not with that effort

• Upvote 4

Listening to 740 this morning I heard "UND Sports Today" with Tim H.  Gave a full report on the hockey weekend vs MSU and interview clips with coach B (which is understandable given the FB team was idle), and finished by letting me know there's a game at MSG vs BC on Saturday.

No mention of FB home playoff game.

Missed opportunity to start the week.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

Listening to 740 this morning I heard "UND Sports Today" with Tim H.  Gave a full report on the hockey weekend vs MSU and interview clips with coach B (which is understandable given the FB team was idle), and finished by letting me know there's a game at MSG vs BC on Saturday.

Deffinetly missed opportunity, this week needs to have emphasis on attending the FB game here in GF, pretty much too late for gaining fans to attend MH game @ MSG, being it's so far away.  those fans already made their decissions and sounds like UND fans will show well, would have liked to gone myself. Kudos to them!!!!!! 

The community needs to get behind this game, this is life blood stuff for UND sports. Opportunities like this should be taken advantage of. I encouraged 2 people at work to go to the game with their spouses and they bought tickets on line this morning. We have so many potential fans that just need that little boost, Let's encourage them. Maybe many of these get hooked, and then buy season tickets.  This is a great time to buy them also, becuase this team is rapidly getting better and therefore season tickets sales will increase and therefore great seats will slowly disapear.

I'm pretty fortunate that the Vikings are playing Dallas this Thursday in the Cities! Received tickets a couple of months ago. This game could of just as easily been at noon on Sunday, which would of made it difficult for me to watch both (UND FB). So, Vikes Thurday night. We'll be coming back to GF Friday. Deep Frying DL Walleye at noon Saturday, then going to pre-game tailgateing, wacthing an exciting FB game, keeping eye on MSG game, then vigorously posting on here for another week for a game in E. Wash or possible at home?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Free student tickets sold out!

Maybe more like the free wons are already all given away. That's great! Now students have to pay $5 which shouldn't be a deterent for a game like this.  Like I mentioned here before, cost of ticket is just like the price of 1 drink downtown. Hope to see that sudent section full.

33 minutes ago, AJS said:

600 down, about 1500 to go. It was mentioned before that the Athletic Department should think a little outside the box and go to the people, not have the people come to them. That philosophy should also be used for the students. I get the Ralph is basically on campus, but sadly, I bet that's a chore for some. I don't understand why they don't take a couple hundred tickets, set up a table at Gamble Hall and sell them for a couple hours. There are thousands of students that go through Gamble every day. Make it convenient for them to buy them on the way to and from class. Seems like a no-brainer. All it would take is a folding table, a couple signs and one intern to sell them.  

Can't you get tickets at the Chester Fritz as well?

2 hours ago, Matt said:

He did promote the fb game during the hockey broadcast on Saturday night. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Does the H in Tim H. stand for Hockey?

Tim Hockey would fit Hennessy nicely. 

Nevertheless, I am just kidding for those sensitive about hockey. 

Go Fighting Hawks!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Looking at the ticket map... Lots of good tickets available

Also all free student tickets were given out, but that's still only about 700 tickets... We need more students than that.

There needs to be a lot of marketing for this game, the team deserves a packed house for the first ever D1 playoff game.

GO HAWKS

16 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Looking at the ticket map... Lots of good tickets available

Also all free student tickets were given out, but that's still only about 700 tickets... We need more students than that.

There needs to be a lot of marketing for this game, the team deserves a packed house for the first ever D1 playoff game.

GO HAWKS

I would imagine a large % of student tickets will be walk ups?  Perhaps they could add a ticket table in the student tailgating lot to ease congestion at the student entrance, where it's always a huge mess before games.  This would make it easier for students to get tickets and there would not be such a big rush at the ticket office before the game.  Not that it would increase attendance a whole lot, but it would make the experience more enjoyable.   It would also funnel more people through the tailgating lot.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Shouldn't about 100 of those student seats be accounted for because of the band?

Good point, band used to get in free, don't know if that applies for playoffs. So this could be an additional 100 fans in the Hawks' Nest that aren't counted yet? This could be getting close to half the student section taken up?  I've been on SpiderNation and a few fans claim they bought tickets through Richmond U. We might have a respectable crowd.

40 minutes ago, PATRIOT said:

Attendance numbers for 2016 FCS Playoffs - First Round

This was Thanksgiving weekend so that played a big factor, but still, the numbers are pretty unimpressive.

Attendance     Capacity       % Filled        

St Francis @ Villanova            2059            12500              17%

Lehigh @ New Hampshire        2240           11015               20%

Illinois St @ C. Arkansas          3165             9000               35%

NC A&T @ Richmond               3281             8700               38%

Charleston S. @ Wofford          2605           13000               20%  

Samford @ Youngstown St       5322            20630              26%

San Diego @ Cal Poly              3356            11075              30%

Weber St @ Chattanooga        5238            20668              25%