SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

12 minutes ago, sprig said:

To each their own. For a $5/ticket donation it's worth a try to get more students at the game. Spending $5 is not much skin in the game either.

To purchase student tickets, call Caitlyn Marshall at 701-777-0256, office hours 10-6. I've already done mine. Nodak Nation will pick them up and distribute them from the Union ticket office.

Thanks for the info, just bought 5 for the students.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

South Dakota State has 8,400 seats still available.  Their overall capacity is 19,340.   

That 8,400 doesn't include 1,200 club seats, in which un-purchased tix aren't available yet and 3,300 student tickets, which they will get nowhere near that number.  

I would say SDSU has sold 9,000 tickets, tops.  

In Brookings for an outdoor game, I didn't think they'd draw that many.

Slightly related to this topic: Can anyone tell me the LOWEST reported attendance to a UND home football game (regular season or playoff) since 1970?

I remember attending a game in a snowstorm at Memorial Stadium (probably in the 1970's) with less than 100 in the stands, but I can't remember the date/opponent or other details.

Can someone out there help or point out a source I could check?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, 70MilesFromCanada said:

Slightly related to this topic: Can anyone tell me the LOWEST reported attendance to a UND home football game (regular season or playoff) since 1970?

I remember attending a game in a snowstorm at Memorial Stadium (probably in the 1970's) with less than 100 in the stands, but I can't remember the date/opponent or other details.

Thanks.

http://siouxsports.com/football/history/postseason.htm

Not sure where you'd find attendance,  but I believe you're remembering the 75 game vs Livingston. I was there,  it was nasty

24 minutes ago, 70MilesFromCanada said:

Thanks.

I remember something about that, there's probably no record of who actually showed up for the game, and most definitely not for who stayed for the most of the game. No scanners. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they go by ticket sales, and did back then also, except in special occasions like FB playoffs when AD's would have an accounting misfire and numbers really come up short, or rumor has it.  

This is why the B1G did as good as they did in attendance in hockey last year,  I looked this up at the end of the season. You take UND out of the equation and compare the 7 NCHC teams left and add Notre D to the B1G  and compare 7 teams on each side.  Their attendance was like 2,000 more per game than NCHC. Now that's sold tickets, not people that actually showed up.

Pretty sure same thing happened with this game, the record of attendance would be much higher than couple hundred. I'll also add, if I remember correctly,  that there was a fair showing at the start of the game, but many fans left shortly after landing, and some even did touch and goes. Not a good day for walk ons.

1 hour ago, sprig said:

http://siouxsports.com/football/history/postseason.htm

Not sure where you'd find attendance,  but I believe you're remembering the 75 game vs Livingston. I was there,  it was nasty

I was there too.   Drove in 25 miles on ice to get there.   I remember they introduced the Livingston team at the Friday night hockey game, the night before.  We all kind of chuckled thinking they weren't going to be able to handle the cold the next day.   But they did.  

I'm glad we'll be inside on Saturday :)

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but the biggest problem with free tickets for anything is that the person with the tickets has no skin in the game and the possibility of that ticket getting used is pretty low. It's 5 bucks those that are interested will find the money. If you ask a student if they want a free ticket they will probably take it but the odds that they will use it and stay past half time are pretty low. 

Definitely, if they are out handing them out, then I agree. With these playoff tickets the students have to go pick them up, so there's at least some effort involved. You aren't going to go out of your way (even a little) to just pick up a ticket you aren't going to use. If somebody has them when you walk into the Union and asks if you want one, then yes, those most likely wouldn't be used.

25 minutes ago, AJS said:

How are student tickets counted into the regular season attendance? Is it number actually picked up and scanned? Or since they are free, they just count them all, even if lets say the student section is half full?

I see them in line at the Al ticket windows before games, that's why it's always so jammed on ground floor coming into the FB games. So they must get something that's scanned to get by the scanners. Then who knows how that's counted.

5 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I see them in line at the Al ticket windows before games, that's why it's always so jammed on ground floor coming into the FB games. So they must get something that's scanned to get by the scanners. Then who knows how that's counted.

They do, they show their ID at the ticket window. and are given a ticket that's scanned

18 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

In the early playoff years of the Al, I remember something to the effect that if the student section is sold out and the rest of the stadium isn't, on Friday, the ticket office can sell additional student tickets and seat then outside of the student section for $5. 

That is still the case for football, vb, bb, and women's hockey. Doubt that they've used up the student seats recently for any event, however.

14 minutes ago, sprig said:

That is still the case for football, vb, bb, and women's hockey. Doubt that they've used up the student seats recently for any event, however.

I remember being at a game that they did. I think I had to pay.  Maybe the blackout Montana game on parents weekend.