283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Well thanks for setting me straight that the vocal minority is always right but isn't how this nickname/logo mess started to begin with?

.........and my looks have been questioned often too in case you're wondering. 

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.  Please continue to fabricate statements out of thin air on my behalf.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Is it a race?  Like the window for selling merchandise needs to open on 8/1 and is closing soon after?  WTF are you even talking about.  Funny how people now think the interlocking ND is the greatest logo ever.

What part of "the whole package is coming in the near future" don't you understand?  

Maybe UND should release a new "updated" Fighting Hawks logo that is so awful, that people will be begging that they don't switch to it and keep the original Fighting Hawks logo!!  :D

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Maybe UND should release a new "updated" Fighting Hawks logo that is so awful, that people will be begging that they don't switch to it and keep the original Fighting Hawks logo!!  :D

Come on now, you're asking for the impossible.  let's stay within the realm of reality.  :D

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

You are giving those involved in logo process way way too much credit if you actually think this was the thought process from the get go.

Spend $50k on something that you know will need immediate improvements...........don't think so. 

Just sharing my take on it.  I've been in the design field for 20 years, and this looks like a pretty common tactic.  And it's not "improvements", so much as it is just getting to see the full library of uses.

Again...just my opinion.  I have no insider knowledge.

6 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Just sharing my take on it.  I've been in the design field for 20 years, and this looks like a pretty common tactic.  And it's not "improvements", so much as it is just getting to see the full library of uses.

Again...just my opinion.  I have no insider knowledge.

It is a smart tactic.  UND knew that no matter what they released, people would rip on it.  Releasing a base logo now and letting that stew a little bit is smart.  People can get all their frustrations out about the logo.  Then in mid August when the merchandise comes out with slight modifications that make it look better on shirts, hats, etc, then people will be much more receptive to the new logo.  Genius idea if that is what UND is doing.  Lucky coincidence if not!! Etiher way, the logo when on new merchandise is going to look a heck of a lot better than the shirt Ed was wearing a couple weeks ago!!

40 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It is a smart tactic. ...

Plus, they got to hear (and see) feedback from people who really, truly do care. (If you're ripping on it, you do care*.)

My guess is you'll see an outlined version where the N is cleaned up (to have an upper right feature) and the "D" has a center. My next guess is the hawk will be overlaid onto an outline of the State. (Note use of word "guess" twice; no inside knowledge here either.) 

*Remember, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. 

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Plus, they got to hear (and see) feedback from people who really, truly do care. (If you're ripping on it, you do care*.)

My guess is you'll see an outlined version where the N is cleaned up (to have an upper right feature) and the "D" has a center. My next guess is the hawk will be overlaid onto an outline of the State. (Note use of word "guess" twice; no inside knowledge here either.) 

This sounds exactly like what I said on June 23rd.

Can someone with some skill trim the letters in black on the logo and make the "D" look like the "D" shown in the script below. It just doesn't look finished to me.

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You're basically saying they released a rough draft of the logo.  I dare say that may be wishful thinking.  

But I agree with your suggested changes and think they are common sense changes most reasonable people could get behind.  But I doubt the changes will be that drastic.  They'll probably just be an outline for certain color backgrounds and that will be it.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My "guess" is that the logo will look just like it does now but with different backgrounds, and outlines. 

Basically the same differences you see with each interlocking ND logo above. 

geaux_sioux, you have a right to your opinion just as those in the news story have a right to theirs, please don't be so condescending when you reply to things with which you don't agree.  You are very good at wielding that as weapon when you disagree with a statement; it could be construed as a subtle form of bullying.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

O look another terrible alternate logo. 

Generic to be sure. But it looks like a sports logo as compared to the Generic corprate logo SME got $50,000 to  create. Now I will admit I have seen some adjustments on here that make it look like a decent shoulder patch logo, but not a good primary logo. However the current logo dosen't even work well a shoulder patch logo.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Generic to be sure. But it looks like a sports logo as compared to the Generic corprate logo SME got $50,000 to  create. Now I will admit I have seen some adjustments on here that make it look like a decent shoulder patch logo, but not a good primary logo. However the current logo dosen't even work well a shoulder patch logo.

It sure seems like they were given a set of criteria & thoughts to work by.  Meaning it seems like UND wanted the logo to be simple and clean.  If UND wanted detail they would have detail.

5 hours ago, Hawk E said:

geaux_sioux, you have a right to your opinion just as those in the news story have a right to theirs, please don't be so condescending when you reply to things with which you don't agree.  You are very good at wielding that as weapon when you disagree with a statement; it could be construed as a subtle form of bullying.  

The opinions and the "bullying" (your word not mine) go both ways, sir/ma'am. Thicker skin might be in order. Just saying..... 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I would agree that looks more like a sports logo. Generic.....yes but how many ways can one invent a logo for completely overused sports nickname...Hawks. All that being said I'd be much more willing to purchase something with that Hawk logo vs what we have now. Just my opinion but if UND had this newly created Hawks logo and kept the interlocking ND logo as an alternative I think from a marketing standpoint it would be much better off. I have yet to find one person I have actually talked face to face with.......UND supporter or not...... that likes the current logo. Not one.