Logo Reaction - Grade it!  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The only input that occurred was a ruse so that Schafer could say he had input. Apparently the past artist, students, athletes, alumni, and fans suggestions were ignored during this process. Mr. Schafer took it upon himself to make the selection. He and he alone decided what the symbol would be and was “very hands-on” with the design and outcome. He had his “favorite going in” to the process and nobody was going to persuade him otherwise, not even past logo creator Bennet Brien and UND hockey standout Troy Stecher. People that came forward saying they were called in all said "they didn't listen" to them. In the end, after all the fan fair with Mr. Schafer patting himself on the back for a job well done, eerily reminiscent of what’s done every two years at the state capitol, Mr. Schafer will have forcibly left HIS mark on the school.

As for me, if I have a choice in something that will effect me (even a choice that doesn't include what I'd like; nickname. Yes, I did vote; RR), I will be a little more excepting of it rather than getting it shoved down my throat; freedom of choice approach (with independence day being yesterday - lol). That's what causes these types of issues...   And we do have the option of changing the logo. That's the whole point! Even the Fighting Sioux logo changed over time. Ed can keep his logo.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxFan9 said:

The only input that occurred was a ruse so that Schafer could say he had input. Apparently the past artist, students, athletes, alumni, and fans suggestions were ignored during this process. Mr. Schafer took it upon himself to make the selection. He and he alone decided what the symbol would be and was “very hands-on” with the design and outcome. He had his “favorite going in” to the process and nobody was going to persuade him otherwise, not even past logo creator Bennet Brien and UND hockey standout Troy Stecher. People that came forward saying they were called in all said "they didn't listen" to them. In the end, after all the fan fair with Mr. Schafer patting himself on the back for a job well done, eerily reminiscent of what’s done every two years at the state capitol, Mr. Schafer will have forcibly left HIS mark on the school.

As for me, if I have a choice in something that will effect me (even a choice that doesn't include what I'd like; nickname. Yes, I did vote; RR), I will be a little more excepting of it rather than getting it shoved down my though; freedom of choice approach (with independence day being yesterday - lol). That's what causes these types of issues...   And we do have the option of changing the logo. Even the Fighting Sioux logo changed over time. Ed can keep his logo.

He didn't listen to Troy Stecher?  WUT?   :ohmy:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SiouxFan9 said:

As for me, if I have a choice in something that will effect me (even a choice that doesn't include what I'd like; nickname. Yes, I did vote; RR), I will be a little more excepting of it rather than getting it shoved down my throat; freedom of choice approach (with independence day being yesterday - lol). That's what causes these types of issues...   And we do have the option of changing the logo. That's the whole point! Even the Fighting Sioux logo changed over time. Ed can keep his logo.

The die had been cast by Kelley. There was a bid process. SME won that. I know at least one local company entered (Ad Monkeys).

If Ed had stepped away from that SME would still be owed the $50,000.00 and then the bills would start with the new provider. 

11 minutes ago, SiouxFan9 said:

Do you have any proof of all this stuff you are claiming? If input wasn't taken, I can with 100% certainty tell you that the logo that was released would not look like it does and people would be even more upset. The fact that it wasn't a cartoon character bird tells me that they definitely did listen to outside input.

You're going to believe what you're going to believe, but just because you don't like the end result doesn't make your version of the story correct. Of course everyone wasn't going to get what they wanted because as with everything, opinion's are subjective. Getting everyone's input is exactly how we ended up being the Fighting Hawks. I can't even begin to imagine how a designer would 100% use everyone's input on a logo.

It was also no secret that the logo was going to be rolled out before Schafer left. The plan was always to give Kennedy a clean slate to start with, which with how big of a mess the nickname issues has been for the last decade plus, was absolutely the right call.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, SiouxFan9 said:

It will be interesting to see what comes of the logo petition...any guesses??!

Change.org petitions are slightly more effective than arguing on Facebook or sending sternly worded tweets. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Do you have any proof of all this stuff you are claiming? If input wasn't taken, I can with 100% certainty tell you that the logo that was released would not look like it does and people would be even more upset. The fact that it wasn't a cartoon character bird tells me that they definitely did listen to outside input.

You're going to believe what you're going to believe, but just because you don't like the end result doesn't make your version of the story correct. Of course everyone wasn't going to get what they wanted because as with everything, opinion's are subjective. Getting everyone's input is exactly how we ended up being the Fighting Hawks. I can't even begin to imagine how a designer would 100% use everyone's input on a logo.

It was also no secret that the logo was going to be rolled out before Schafer left. The plan was always to give Kennedy a clean slate to start with, which with how big of a mess the nickname issues has been for the last decade plus, was absolutely the right call.

I'm basing it on the TV interviews and articles of people that supposedly had input into the logo and they all say the same thing, "they didn't listen to what we had to say".

You're right, opinions are subjective, and you never will satisfy everyone. We've all heard that before. However, when nearly 71% of people who responded to a poll voice their objection something is wrong, or don't you think so?

A clean slate, really??! Do you really buy that argument?! It was his intent to leave his logo on the school all along. An interim present is supposed to ensure the day to day functions of the university are addressed until a permanent replacement can be found. Their job is not to make decisions that will affect the university for decades to come. You think that just because Ed put his logo out there that it would instantly end all the controversy and everyone would be happy??!!  All Ed did was flame the fires and walk out the door with a storm of controversy and upheaval for the in coming present do deal with - thanks Ed.

• Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Change.org petitions are slightly more effective than arguing on Facebook or sending sternly worded tweets. 

yeah, I agree...nothing. I'm curious to see how the new president address the issue though.

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I missed that one, thanks! 

I like his comment about this being an institution of higher learning and wanting to focus on those greater issues. I also like the comment about not having an issue with those who wish to hold on to the prior nickname.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

So the new UND president comes out and says (paraphrasing) "we'll see how this logo goes for now and in a few years we might (or be open too) tweak it."

That's not a shock.  Schools change logos all the time.  I'd expect this one to be around for 3-4 years.

14 minutes ago, southpaw said:

That's not a shock.  Schools change logos all the time.  I'd expect this one to be around for 3-4 years.

Given the amount of time and money spent on developing this logo, I would be surprised to see UND spend the money to develop an updated logo that soon.  Especially given the longevity of previous logos.

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

So the new UND president comes out and says (paraphrasing) "we'll see how this logo goes for now and in a few years we might (or be open too) tweak it."

Is there a different article you're getting that from? Not saying that won't happen, because as @southpaw correctly pointed out, it is somewhat common, but nothing in the linked article seemed close to him saying that.

15 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Agreed whatever fans do, alternate logo, petitions, etc, you are not going to see an instant change, even something as simple as the minor edits that people on the forum have done won't happen right away, but in a couple of years you'll probably see the logo modified or an additional logo will come out.

25 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Some logos, not all. Some people don't know that. He could have said that in his answer, but the radio never reported any of that. 

Leaves the door (hope) open for some people.

Headline on the Radio was something like (again off memory) "Don't like the new UND logo? You might not have to wait that long for a new one."

While not putting gas on the fire, some could see it as stirring the coals a little bit.....His words are going to be interpreted differently by the masses. 

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Is there a different article you're getting that from? Not saying that won't happen, because as @southpaw correctly pointed out, it is somewhat common, but nothing in the linked article seemed close to him saying that.

Radio. No link.... Running on the "News Headlines" which is every half hour (?) or so on 1310.

Might be an article tomorrow? IDK.

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

WDAY channel six at ten starts the news cast stating:

"New UND President doesn't slam the door on changing the UND logo."

Hmmmmmmmm..........I guess the Kool-Aid ran out on campus before he showed up.

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hmmmmmmmm..........I guess the Kool-Aid ran out on campus before he showed up.

Whoever drank that last glass musta also took the memo stating we rolled this logo out early so he didn't have to deal with it.......and then his second day in office rolled around.

15 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Agreed whatever fans do, alternate logo, petitions, etc, you are not going to see an instant change, even something as simple as the minor edits that people on the forum have done won't happen right away, but in a couple of years you'll probably see the logo modified or an additional logo will come out.

They are happening.  They are working with different border colors for different backgrounds.

43 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

They are happening.  They are working with different border colors for different backgrounds.

The fact that we need to change the logo depending on the background, goes to show how poor of a logo we have. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1