283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

7 hours ago, Hawk E said:

So we have 2 UND graduates that are passionate about the name and school that want to try to design a logo for pretty much free and get turned down so the school can hire an outside company for 50k to come up with one of the most bland pc logos there is, smethings not right there

49 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

So we have 2 UND graduates that are passionate about the name and school that want to try to design a logo for pretty much free and get turned down so the school can hire an outside company for 50k to come up with one of the most bland pc logos there is, smethings not right there

Did they submit the rest of the required materials?

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I would agree that looks more like a sports logo. Generic.....yes but how many ways can one invent a logo for completely overused sports nickname...Hawks. All that being said I'd be much more willing to purchase something with that Hawk logo vs what we have now. Just my opinion but if UND had this newly created Hawks logo and kept the interlocking ND logo as an alternative I think from a marketing standpoint it would be much better off. I have yet to find one person I have actually talked face to face with.......UND supporter or not...... that likes the current logo. Not one.

Kind of like I have never talked face to face with anyone that voted for Fighting Hawks as the nickname.  If you voted for Fighting Hawks and are dissapointed by the logo, I really don't feel bad for you.  With all the bird logos out there, UND didn't want to have just another version of a bird in the school colors.  This one that these guys came up with isn't horrible, but falls into the group of other bird logos out there.  Even if you have the new logo, you can at least recognize that it is unique compared to all the other hawks, eagles, etc. logos out there.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hawk E said:

geaux_sioux, you have a right to your opinion just as those in the news story have a right to theirs, please don't be so condescending when you reply to things with which you don't agree.  You are very good at wielding that as weapon when you disagree with a statement; it could be construed as a subtle form of bullying.  

Don't post anything if you don't want to see how people feel about it

1 hour ago, Emerald joker said:

I like what we have better than there's. What they tried to submit is far more generic. It's just their take on Philidelphias logo. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

No, we had a company that didn't follow the protocol for having their design considered. Again, UND didn't request a logo, they requested an entire new graphic identity package. And the $50k was peanuts compared to some of the bids. The only local company that bothered submitting a proposal had a fee 3x that and their proposal was pretty lacking to say the least.

I think it's pretty confusing and amusing that everyone was so dead set on the new logo being unique, yet everyone is all of the sudden in favor of all these alternatives that look exactly like any other hawk minus the occasional extra set of feathers on their head.

I think most people were just expecting something more than what a kindergartner could come up with. Let's draw an ND and throw a white bird head in the middle of it. I think I'm going to become a logo designer, it doesn't look like you have to put much thought in it and you can charge an absurd amount of money, good idea!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

I think most people were just expecting something more than what a kindergartner could come up with. Let's draw an ND and throw a white bird head in the middle of it. I think I'm going to become a logo designer, it doesn't look like you have to put much thought in it and you can charge an absurd amount of money, good idea!

Again, UND could have gone with just another bird logo like the many of them that are out there.  But instead, the chose something unique that shows a hawk head embedded in our state's initials.  Would you be more satisfied if UND came out with just another generic bird logo that looks like every other bird logo out there?

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Again, UND could have gone with just another bird logo like the many of them that are out there.  But instead, the chose something unique that shows a hawk head embedded in our state's initials.  Would you be more satisfied if UND came out with just another generic bird logo that looks like every other bird logo out there?

Every bird logo that I've seen is different from the next so I don't know why people are trying that argument. And I think we now have the most generic looking one and it is just another bird logo

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The nickname has been voted on and chosen.  The logo has been made.  Neither are going to be changed anytime in the near future.  The sooner everyone realizes that, the better off we will be.  

Agree - we need to move on.  Neither of these will change in the short term.   I am sick of the whole thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

would agree that looks more like a sports logo. Generic.....yes but how many ways can one invent a logo for completely overused sports nickname...Hawks. All that being said I'd be much more willing to purchase something with that Hawk logo vs what we have now. Just my opinion but if UND had this newly created Hawks logo and kept the interlocking ND logo as an alternative I think from a marketing standpoint it would be much better off. I have yet to find one person I have actually talked face to face with.......UND supporter or not...... that likes the current logo. Not one.

I talked to a guy yesterday who is a big donator to The champions club (Director level). He told me he thinks the logo looks great. So you've found zero, I've found 1. The the most important thing to remember is, it doesn't mean jack s#$%. The name and logo are staying and the teams that will be successful are the ones who understand that and put in the work to be successful. UND will be fine, there is leadership here in at least two of the sports that matter.

The alternate "logo" being produced in Grand Forks includes what would be deemed Native American imagery (feathers) and wouldn't be allowed.  The one in Bismarck is bland and could be mistaken for any other hawk logo. At least the one that UND chose would be recognized as North Dakota with the "ND" on it.  Hopefully, their clean-ups or tweaks leave us with something a little bit better.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The nickname has been voted on and chosen.  The logo has been made.  Neither are going to be changed anytime in the near future.  The sooner everyone realizes that, the better off we will be.  

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Agree - we need to move on.  Neither of these will change in the short term.   I am sick of the whole thing.

I have been one to fiercely oppose the change from the Sioux name to the Fighting Hawks. I was disappointed with the process and how everything from the nickname to the logo were handled. I was underwhelmed by the new logo when it was released and still am not thrilled about it.

That being said, I'm sick of this crap. I'm fully ready to support the University of North Dakota 'whatever you want to call them's'. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I'm confused.  Did UND pay 50k for a logo, or a small shoulder patch?   The majority dislike it altogether, and it sounds like nearly everyone who is ok with it has already relegated it to shoulder patch status. 

Who are the people that like it and have relegated it to "shoulder patch status"?   Seems the opposite to me.

• Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, NeedHockey said:

There may be hope that at least we keep our interlocking ND logo.  This appeared in the aroUND post.  The tradition continues.

around_alumni_7_6_16.png

This homecoming logo was produced before the new logo came out.  So the new logo wouldn't be on it.  They said that they are going to use the interlocking ND logo this year, so this is nothing to hold on hope to in regards to the interlocking ND going away.

30 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Who are the people that like it and have relegated it to "shoulder patch status"?   Seems the opposite to me.

tumblr_m724dcyIIl1qd1dbso1_400.gif

For hockey jerseys I think it'll serve better as a shoulder patch than as a large logo on the chest.

• Upvote 2