283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

20 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

The fact that we need to change the logo depending on the background, goes to show how poor of a logo we have. 

Having to add a border to the logo so it looks better on different backgrounds doesn't make the logo bad.  Just surprised SME didn't do that for UND and those options were not released 2 weeks ago at the logo presentation.  Small detail, but still an important one.

Show the people the sterile version...they'll hate it.  Then show the jazzed up versions and they'll start to accept it.

Show the jazzed up version from the start, knowing people are going to probably hate anything that's shown, and you leave yourself nowhere to go.

It's a sales strategy.  And it's actually a pretty smart one to use in this instance. 

Just a guess as to how this was planned out.

7 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Show the people the sterile version...they'll hate it.  Then show the jazzed up versions and they'll start to accept it.

Show the jazzed up version from the start, knowing people are going to probably hate anything that's shown, and you leave yourself nowhere to go.

It's a sales strategy.  And it's actually a pretty smart one to use in this instance. 

Just a guess as to how this was planned out.

You are giving those involved in logo process way way too much credit if you actually think this was the thought process from the get go.

Spend $50k on something that you know will need immediate improvements...........don't think so. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

You are giving those involved in logo process way way too much credit if you actually think this was the thought process from the get go.

Spend $50k on something that you know will need immediate improvements...........don't think so. 

What immediate improvements?  It's part of a friggen' graphics package.  They spent $50k on the entire package.  These aren't changes, these are finishing out the initial graphic package.

I'm thankful it didn't go to a fan-vote or have significant fan input.  Lots of "graphics experts" these days who know little to nothing about any part of the process.

The new Vikings stadium had a grand opening where people could tour the stadium.  But not every tiny bit of the stadium was done at that point.  That doesn't mean they're making changes to the stadium, it means they're finishing the job they were hired to do.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, southpaw said:

What immediate improvements?  It's part of a friggen' graphics package.  They spent $50k on the entire package.  These aren't changes, these are finishing out the initial graphic package.

I'm thankful it didn't go to a fan-vote or have significant fan input.  Lots of "graphics experts" these days who know little to nothing about any part of the process.

The new Vikings stadium had a grand opening where people could tour the stadium.  But not every tiny bit of the stadium was done at that point.  That doesn't mean they're making changes to the stadium, it means they're finishing the job they were hired to do.

But we hate the logo and we're committed to hating the logo.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:

The fact that we need to change the logo depending on the background, goes to show how poor of a logo we have. 

Who ever heard of rotating the color scheme of a logo to work in the context it's being applied. 

Big+Sky+colleges.png

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2016 at 8:19 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

The only ones you are supporting by purchasing this are the idiots that are selling this stuff.  You are definitely not supporting UND by any means.  So if that is the case, what is the point of buying this crap?

I hope everyone gets these

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

I hope everyone gets these

Get as many of this merch as you want!  Get excited about being a fan of green birds.  You can choose to wear whatever you want.  #goparrots

As for me, I will choose to wear the the logo that represents the University teams that I cheer for.  #fightinghawks

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Interlocking.jpg

So come up with 3 alternative Hawks combinations soon and put them exclusively up against appearal vs. the 3 above at Scheels in GF and Fargo for 1 month starting 8/1 in a back to school promo and see which one sells more.

..........oh wait that can't happen because we are stuck with ONE atrocious logo.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So come up with 3 alternative Hawks combinations soon and put them exclusively up against appearal vs. the 3 above at Scheels in GF and Fargo for 1 month starting 8/1 in a back to school promo and see which one sells more.

..........oh wait that can't happen because we are stuck with ONE atrocious logo.

Is it a race?  Like the window for selling merchandise needs to open on 8/1 and is closing soon after?  WTF are you even talking about.  Funny how people now think the interlocking ND is the greatest logo ever.

What part of "the whole package is coming in the near future" don't you understand?  

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Is it a race?  Like the window for selling merchandise needs to open immediately and is closing soon??

What part of "the whole package is coming in the near future" don't you understand?  

I understand it well..........trust me. No race or window needed. "Whole package"......whatever because anyone who looks at this current situation objectively really understands why the interlocking ND was cut out of circulation. What part of that don't you understand?

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I understand it well..........trust me. No race or window needed. "Whole package"......whatever because anyone who looks at this current situation objectively really understands why the interlocking ND was cut out of circulation. What part of that don't you understand?

Is there a reason it was cut other than wanting to have a graphics package that was solely UND's and not shared with any other school?  

Does there need to be another reason?

3 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Is there a reason it was cut other than wanting to have a graphics package that was solely UND's and not shared with any other school?  

Does there need to be another reason?

Strawman argument..........go back in this thread and follow all the multiple schools the use a variation of the capital "M".

UND could have the bird logo and the ND logo. I think for some this would be more palatable then force feeding this bird logo exclusively.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Strawman argument..........go back in this thread and follow all the multiple schools the use a variation of the capital "M".

UND could have the bird logo and the ND logo. I think for some this would be more palatable then force feeding this bird logo exclusively.

Why do you want the ND back so bad?  They still own and it can bring it back anytime they want.  It obviously makes sense to push the new logo without any static from an old version.

Gee, reading all this I'm recalling words that some poster put out long ago. 

"Control what's yours to control." 

Instead, back then, folks were petulant in the belief that UND would defeat the NCAA when it was clear it was lost. Rather than making lemonade, many were holding onto lemon that they were sure would magically recast into daisies. And during that time, rather than taking control, the (long, overdone, but very visible) process went on without them. 

And now those same folks are sure they could've done better (name, logo). So where were they? Why didn't they engage in the process (be it more vocal during the voting, or getting their logo submitted when the process was in place for that) when they could be part of, engage, the process. Notice I didn't say control the process, because that was already long gone (see prior paragraph). 

Instead now we have folks who are sure they could do better. So where were they when it mattered? Why didn't those now wailing and gnashing teeth the loudest, when they still could, ...

"Control what's yours to control." 

Now, after this diatribe of mine, I close with my most favorite phase. You see, "Control what's yours to control" is not my favorite phrase.

My favorite phrase is:

I. Told. You. So.

Just now, UND1983 said:

Why do you want the ND back so bad?  They still own and it can bring it back anytime they want.  It obviously makes sense to push the new logo without any static from an old version.

Your last sentence is a big issue to many...........again trust me.

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I still ask... just because some other schools use a similar logo, does that mean it's right for UND to do it as well?

And don't be naive and think a letter M is anywhere similar to the interlocking ND.  If Michigan and Missouri State were the only two schools to use an M logo, in a very similar font do you think there would be any confusion?  Absolutely, there would be.  Just like there is with the Interlocking ND.

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Apples and Oranges.  The M's are associated with colleagues of the B1G. Meanwhile a school that was D2 for almost ever used an interlocking ND more than 60 years before one of THE name brand institutions in all of the land. Notre Dame football was about the biggest thing in sports for a long long time and UND was an irrelevant D2 school in Canada. I love the interlocking ND because it is ours and always will be. But I get why they want UND to have graphics that cannot be confused with anyone else.  I get it.... but it's like pulling teeth for me.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Trust me, you and a lot of UND fans are punch drunk from the nickname and logo fight.  Can't see straight, can't think straight. 

Well thanks for setting me straight that the vocal minority is always right but isn't how this nickname/logo mess started to begin with?

.........and my looks have been questioned often too in case you're wondering. 

• Upvote 1