283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

48 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

if the prices seemed high doesn't UND have an art department that maybe could of thought of something, I mean God forbid they ask their art department if they can come up with something, it's not like they're not creative or can draw

Sure, so we could all shi!t on the design of some poor local art student instead of some corporate office (SME) a thousand miles away. It seems the only reason people like the local designs is because there's no way at this point they will be picked. 

• Upvote 2

Strange thing is, some of the most recognized and iconic logos in sports are fairly simple and two or three colors. 

The Dallas Cowboys star. The St. Louis Blues note. The Texas longhorn. The Yankees interlocked "NY". 

The Seattle seahawk.*

*That's a bird done ugly. 

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The only ones you are supporting by purchasing this are the idiots that are selling this stuff.  You are definitely not supporting UND by any means.  So if that is the case, what is the point of buying this crap?

Because they're going to show UND that the new logo sucks by purchasing this junk.  Yah!!  That will show 'em.  UND will for sure change the entire logo and start over.  For sure, bro.  

• Upvote 3

The whole issue with this logo is that it's not ours, it Mr. Schafer's. It wasn't selected by the students or alumni, or anyone else for that matter. Mr. Schafer was the sole person with "hands on" involvement. This is a symbol of Mr. Schafer and that's it. That's why people are having a hard time excepting it. Unlike the nickname, WE didn't choose it.

Anyone see this article in the GF Herald?! http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/op-ed-columns/4066032-jim-whitehead-light-and-law-smoke-and-mirrors-und

Here's a line near the end of the letter that sums it up: And let's hope Schafer's personal logo selection will be the last instance of dictatorial decision-making at UND for a long, long time

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, bertram said:

Here's a break down of the last re-brand effort the bobcats faced

xNXanJv.jpg

Montana State paid $18,000.00 for that?

Tell me again how $50k for a new logo and wordmarks and lettermarks is that outrageous.

12 minutes ago, SiouxFan9 said:

The whole issue with this logo is that it's not ours, it Mr. Schafer's. It wasn't selected by the students or alumni, or anyone else for that matter. Mr. Schafer was the sole person with "hands on" involvement. This is a symbol of Mr. Schafer and that's it. That's why people are having a hard time excepting it. Unlike the nickname, WE didn't choose it.

Anyone see this article in the GF Herald?! http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/op-ed-columns/4066032-jim-whitehead-light-and-law-smoke-and-mirrors-und

Here's a line near the end of the letter that sums it up: And let's hope Schafer's personal logo selection will be the last instance of dictatorial decision-making at UND for a long, long time

Read what I previously wrote below:

On 6/28/2016 at 4:44 PM, UND1983 said:

To start it was Kelley who was the idiot who chose to make sure EVERYONE had a say in selecting the new name.  Now its Schafer who was the idiot who dared to select the new logo himself based on all the input he had in front of him, instead of holding an all-inclusive, annoyingly long process.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Unreal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The only ones you are supporting by purchasing this are the idiots that are selling this stuff.  You are definitely not supporting UND by any means.  So if that is the case, what is the point of buying this crap?

Ah yes, the self righteous defender of the administration. First off I never said that I would be spending money on the alternative logo, of course, I certainly wouldn't be spending money on the SME Logo that was put out by the administration. As far as supporting buying athletic related media and goods, let's see I don't live in the Grand Forks area anymore. Actually I live on the other side of the globe, that means all the football games and hockey games I watch have to be purchased online, additionally there is all the Fighting Sioux merchandise I bought prior nickname going away in addition to the no nickname stuff i have bought and may continue to buy as finances and need allow, not to mention the thousands of dollars spent in tuition, room, and board while I was a student at the University.  So please get off your high horse, or based on your avatar take off you cape, I along with the overwhelming majority of people who like and hate the new logo have done our part to support the university, and it is a bit presumptuous to assume that I or anyone else is obligated to buy new merchandise, with a logo that we do not like simply to support the University of North Dakota, if the university is that in need of funds I would personally rather write a check for 30 bucks than spend 30 bucks on a hat I don't like.

As to your last assertion " The only ones you are supporting by purchasing this are the idiots that are selling this stuff." True the proceeds from the sale would not go to the university but instead, go to a local business that is printing a logo designed by a UND senior and future alumnus, which I sure can't be bad for his resume. As for the "idiots" comment I wouldn't say he is an idiot, the person already has a custom clothing business, so he is capitalizing on a segment of the public's distaste for the new UND logo with an alternative logo that many people do like, if I remember correctly someone else did that with the whole "Fighting Suhaki" thing, it didn't last forever, but I am sure they made some money off it. Now if you don't like it don't buy it, do what you want with your money, just as I will with mine. In reality, I probably won't be buying any of this because shipping from the US to Asia is expensive as $hit;.

• Upvote 1

Nothing says "unity" like people wearing THREE different logos to a game (new hawk, faux hawk, sioux) and yelling out two different names (hawks, sioux).

I like the color blue, and i think they should be called the stars.  Maybe I'll make my own logo and march and chant "stars" at the games.  It's just as valid as anything else, right?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Nothing says "unity" like people wearing THREE different logos to a game (new hawk, faux hawk, sioux) and yelling out two different names (hawks, sioux).

I like the color blue, and i think they should be called the stars.  Maybe I'll make my own logo and march and chant "stars" at the games.  It's just as valid as anything else, right?

Go for it, if you think you have a market and can make profit, than by all means go for it. If you want Unity "North Dakota" or "UND" still works.

On 6/28/2016 at 4:44 PM, UND1983 said:

To start it was Kelley who was the idiot who chose to make sure EVERYONE had a say in selecting the new name.  Now its Schafer who was the idiot who dared to select the new logo himself based on all the input he had in front of him, instead of holding an all-inclusive, annoyingly long process.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Unreal.

Prof. Whitehead is pissed that Ed Schafer is not Capt. Picard, the great consensus personality. Whitehead wants the inmates to run the asylum.

But we've seen what happens with that approach: Kelley's "everyone's voice" process, a vote where we end up with another < adjective bird >, and having to deal with budgets that someone else has to fix because Kelley was "chronically scrotally void" and couldn't say no to spending. 

I will take a leader, even a leader I may not 100% always agree with, over milquetoast one hundred out of one hundred times. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, SiouxFan9 said:

You're pretty naïve about the whole situation but I guess that makes it easier to toss blame around. While Gov. Schafer may have had the final say in the logo, there were many people from various stakeholder groups that had input on the design and those focus groups shaped the way the logo looked. I believe the final design was significantly different than the first draft presented and the input on the secondary logo that was designed caused it to be scrapped for now. And as UND1983 stated, Kelley got ripped for being all-inclusive (and it is how we ended up with the Fighting Hawks nickname) and now Schafer is getting ripped for not being more inclusive (even though there was quite a bit of outside input on the design/development). Again, it makes it easier to blame someone when there is no right way.

As for the op-ed, Whitehead has an axe to grind and is using the emotion of the nickname/logo to do so, nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Prof. Whitehead is pissed that Ed Schafer is not Capt. Picard, the great consensus personality. Whitehead wants the inmates to run the asylum.

But we've seen what happens with that approach: Kelley's "everyone's voice" process, a vote where we end up with another < adjective bird >, and having to deal with budgets that someone else has to fix because Kelley was "chronically scrotally void" and couldn't say no to spending. 

I will take a leader, even a leader I may not 100% always agree with, over milquetoast one hundred out of one hundred times. 

I don't like the logo or the name.  But on reflection, I think it's time to eat this admittedly s#! $ sandwich and move on.  I appreciate President Kennedy's take on this.  Its over.  Get over it.  

Bigger fish to fry. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You're pretty naïve about the whole situation but I guess that makes it easier to toss blame around. While Gov. Schafer may have had the final say in the logo, there were many people from various stakeholder groups that had input on the design and those focus groups shaped the way the logo looked. I believe the final design was significantly different than the first draft presented and the input on the secondary logo that was designed caused it to be scrapped for now. And as UND1983 stated, Kelley got ripped for being all-inclusive (and it is how we ended up with the Fighting Hawks nickname) and now Schafer is getting ripped for not being more inclusive (even though there was quite a bit of outside input on the design/development). Again, it makes it easier to blame someone when there is no right way.

As for the op-ed, Whitehead has an axe to grind and is using the emotion of the nickname/logo to do so, nothing more, nothing less.

It reminds me of the ending of War Games, where the computer learns about MAD.  A strange game... the only winning move is not to play

Because of the "dictatorial" decision by Gov. Schafer, President Kennedy can now play the winning move.  This didn't need to drag on anymore and Kennedy didn't need to deal with this.  Beside a vote would have cost more $$$$ and with how the nickname vote was handled, can you blame me for NOT wanting another?

Agreed on the op-ed, came off as sour grapes.  Loved the part where he complained about the spending... because fixing the Steam Plant and improving O'Kelly was wasteful.....

11 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

I don't like the logo or the name.  But on reflection, I think it's time to eat this admittedly s#! $ sandwich and move on.  I appreciate President Kennedy's take on this.  Its over.  Get over it.  

Bigger fish to fry. 

Agreed. Budget, freshman retention, etc. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Ah yes, the self righteous defender of the administration. First off I never said that I would be spending money on the alternative logo, of course, I certainly wouldn't be spending money on the SME Logo that was put out by the administration. As far as supporting buying athletic related media and goods, let's see I don't live in the Grand Forks area anymore. Actually I live on the other side of the globe, that means all the football games and hockey games I watch have to be purchased online, additionally there is all the Fighting Sioux merchandise I bought prior nickname going away in addition to the no nickname stuff i have bought and may continue to buy as finances and need allow, not to mention the thousands of dollars spent in tuition, room, and board while I was a student at the University.  So please get off your high horse, or based on your avatar take off you cape, I along with the overwhelming majority of people who like and hate the new logo have done our part to support the university, and it is a bit presumptuous to assume that I or anyone else is obligated to buy new merchandise, with a logo that we do not like simply to support the University of North Dakota, if the university is that in need of funds I would personally rather write a check for 30 bucks than spend 30 bucks on a hat I don't like.

As to your last assertion " The only ones you are supporting by purchasing this are the idiots that are selling this stuff." True the proceeds from the sale would not go to the university but instead, go to a local business that is printing a logo designed by a UND senior and future alumnus, which I sure can't be bad for his resume. As for the "idiots" comment I wouldn't say he is an idiot, the person already has a custom clothing business, so he is capitalizing on a segment of the public's distaste for the new UND logo with an alternative logo that many people do like, if I remember correctly someone else did that with the whole "Fighting Suhaki" thing, it didn't last forever, but I am sure they made some money off it. Now if you don't like it don't buy it, do what you want with your money, just as I will with mine. In reality, I probably won't be buying any of this because shipping from the US to Asia is expensive as $hit;.

I was ripping on two people in my post.  The person who came up with this alternative logo and the people that are buying it.  Since you are neither, no need to get offended.  Wasn't referring to you.

I have no problem with people selling something to make a profit.  Capitalism is a great thing.  The guy can do what he wants.  My point is what he is doing is not helping unite UND fans.  As one poster already said, do we really want the stands filled with Sioux gear, Fighting Hawks gear, and this alternative logo?  Uniting the fanbase to cheer for one name under one logo may be the most difficult part of this entire nickname process that has plagued the University and its fanbase for over a decade.  

Funny how people can rip the new official logo, but if I dare take issue with some alternative logo only meant to further divide our fanbase, then I am "on my high horse".  

You don't have to like the new logo.  But people can at least make an attempt to respect the fact that UND has a new name and logo and not undermine it by producing merchandise like this only meant to take advantage of peoples emotions and make a quick buck from those people.  If the guy can make money from those emotionally charges suckers, good for him.  But, like I said, he is not helping the situation by any means.