283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That mindset says an awful lot. Reminds me of a battered spouse...'sure, he beats me, but I'm pretty lucky to be married at all, and I'm afraid to be out on my own.'  This is really a reach but you can run with it if you want.  Why are we a battered spouse for using our own logo?  I say stand up and fight for what you have and have always had.  Why do you want to run a way like a scared child?

What's regional about D1 athletics? - We can pretend that the nation as a whole cares about UND but that would be wrong.  how often are we in the same conversation with Notre Dame?  Very seldom..How many times have we played each other in the last 10 years?

What's regional about licensing goods into the stream of global commerce? - because we sell 99% of our stuff in our region.

What's regional about having one of the top aerospace programs in the world?  Nothing.  How does that impact using the interlocking ND?  

The interlocking ND is not UND's identity. Yes it is and has been since long before either of us were alive.  I wore it on my football helmet for 4 years and love the logo.  It is as much our identity as anything else we use.  You obviously are newer to UND and don't value our history as much as I do. For once, wouldn't you like to walk into a sporting goods store and buy your team's hat without double-checking the back for an embroidered leprechaun?  I haven't seen that as a problem.  Look for the UND section if you need some guidance.  That will take care of 99% of the issue.  You will still have to check on the other 1%.

I found Kelley's "Exceptional" mantra to be a bit much at times, but UND is striving to be more. UND has sought to create an identity.

Fighting Sioux, regional thinking, and being Notre Dame's bitch are in the past.  I doubt many people feel that way and don't get the connection.  How are we Notre Dame's bitch because we kept using the logo we developed prior to their use?  Backing down from them when they challenged us would have made us their bitch.  We did the opposite and fought back.

UND is looking to the future, and I applaud that.  Let's look to the future but why do we need to ignore our past?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

... being Notre Dame's bitch are in the past.

UND is looking to the future, and I applaud that.

Honest question, because I do not know the answer...

When was Notre Dame's last National Championship? What sport was it?

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Honest question, because I do not know the answer...

When was Notre Dame's last National Championship? What sport was it?

You are trying to disparage a powerful, worldwide institution like Notre Dame with a comment like that?  (facepalm)

17 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So someone out there with some photoshop skills.  Can you mock up some shirts, hats, etc with the new logo on it?  Would be curious to see what it looks lilke on merchandise.

Just watch the press conference of the logo. Mr Ed shows it off nicely.................

The logo will not appear on the front of the jersey, as shown in the presentation.  I think we can all agree that the most likely place for it on the jersey is on the shoulder. (Might see it on the helmets as well).  Wondering if theya re going to do a new jersey with the new script SME developed?  Or will they just stay with what they got.  

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

So one day "we" hate the logo because it's too plain and the next "we" hate the logo because "we" could have just had a block letter instead.  My spider senses are telling me "we" were committed to hating this logo no matter what.

Speaking just for myself, I don't like it because it sucks.   I was looking forward to the reveal and having an identifying symbol for our new name. 

This logo is worse than any I have seen on siouxsports and elsewhere, and beyond all imagination  

It's a peaceful dove.  Really?

Who has an all white logo besides the klan?   

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I agree with the haters when it comes to placing a huge version of the new logo on the chest of a t-shirt or jersey.  But I do believe it will look good on hats, polos, and shorts and on hockey jerseys as a shoulder patch.

I think in general you and I are on the same page on this topic.  I do think if you put this logo on a trucker hat it will look like it's from a seed dealer or the ND farm bureau.  

20 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Speaking just for myself, I don't like it because it sucks.   I was looking forward to the reveal and having an identifying symbol for our new name. 

This logo is worse than any I have seen on siouxsports and elsewhere, and beyond all imagination  

It's a peaceful dove.  Really?

Who has an all white logo besides the klan?   

jack russell weinstein 3,2,1...

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I agree with the haters when it comes to placing a huge version of the new logo on the chest of a t-shirt or jersey.  But I do believe it will look good on hats, polos, and shorts and on hockey jerseys as a shoulder patch.

We finally agree on something when it comes to the logo. Happy one week logo release day!

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The logo will not appear on the front of the jersey, as shown in the presentation.  I think we can all agree that the most likely place for it on the jersey is on the shoulder. (Might see it on the helmets as well).  Wondering if theya re going to do a new jersey with the new script SME developed?  Or will they just stay with what they got.  

I wonder if they would put HAWKS in diagonal with a number on the front? Kind of like what Boston College does with their Gold jersey. 

1 hour ago, UND1981 said:

I don't embrace the thinking that our new logo isn't as bad as some others.  It's still just plain bad and in no way is unique to North Dakota.

It would be tough to make a logo for the fighting Hawks unique to North Dakota... It all started with choosing that name

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I will be buying the new apparel and wearing it proudly. That's just me. Everyone else do whatever the hell they want to or don't want to. Go UND! Go Hawks!

I bought my first Hawks pull over from Scheels back in April. I figured what the hell. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

It would be tough to make a logo for the fighting Hawks unique to North Dakota... It all started with choosing that name

Not hard at all.  Hire a North Dakota native, no pun intended, to sketch the new logo. Hiring Ben Brien would have been the best bet, not only can Sioux fans transition on, but he could make it beautiful like his original Sioux logo.  I've seen probably  7 different logos that were created prior to the launching of the logo that would have been unique and easy to rally around.    

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:05 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

not sure what was on Delaware's football helments were before the "homage to Michigan" but can you imagine und paying homage to Colorado state and adding horns on our helmets....

Here is a history of Delaware's football helmets-

DELAWARE

Delaware_OLD2.gif Delaware_OLD1.gif Delaware_OLD3.gif
c.1959 - 1969 1969 - 1976 1977 - 1983

Delaware_OLD4.gif Delaware.gif
1984 - 2003 2004 -

Delaware began using the "winged" helmet design in 1951, and has used it continuously ever since, with only a few changes to the facemask color and perhaps some slight modifications to the shades of blue and gold having been made during the intervening years. The change from a darker blue to a nearly royal blue in 2004 is the most substantial change to the blue color of which I am aware.

Some players were using facemasks as early as 1954, but they were apparently not standard issue until about 1959. The dates of transition between facemask colors listed above are not precise, because at each change, some players continued to use the previously-used color for another year or two, or even longer. The years listed above are the approximate dates when each new color became predominant.

During at least some games in 1965 a small "D" logo was added to Delaware's helmets (photograph below); the color of the "D" is unknown to me.

delaware1965.jpg

Check out the website-very interesting-

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

9 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That mindset says an awful lot. Reminds me of a battered spouse...'sure, he beats me, but I'm pretty lucky to be married at all, and I'm afraid to be out on my own.'

What's regional about D1 athletics?

What's regional about licensing goods into the stream of global commerce?

What's regional about having one of the top aerospace programs in the world?

The interlocking ND is not UND's identity. For once, wouldn't you like to walk into a sporting goods store and buy your team's hat without double-checking the back for an embroidered leprechaun?

I found Kelley's "Exceptional" mantra to be a bit much at times, but UND is striving to be more. UND has sought to create an identity.

Fighting Sioux, regional thinking, and being Notre Dame's bitch are in the past.

UND is looking to the future, and I applaud that.

Never in my life as a North Dakota fan in a store hat shopping have i wondered if the hat I was looking at was a Note Dame hat or a Sioux hat. Seriously get glasses or contacts.