Logo Reaction - Grade it!  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

seems odd to me some of the same people who were up in arms about Hawks being a poor choice because it is an oft used, boring name, are now trying to convince themselves and others that a bland, boring logo is ok because there are evidently worse ones out there.

a newly released logo shouldn't need tweaks and changes right out of the gate in an attempt to make it tolerable.  They didn't hold a news conference to release a rough draft; they released THE logo.   

• Upvote 4

Votes and committees = fighting hawks

So if it's voted on, people aren't happy.  If one person decided it all, people wouldn't be happy.

I'm good with the new logo.  The sioux head was cool...but i don't sacrifice lambs at its alter.

can't wait for seasons to start so focus gets back where it should be.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There are many of these that I would classify as more "boring" and "corporate" than our logo.

logo.jpg

All of those are corporate except the University of Wyoming's Steamboat bucking horse.  That one is perfect....  ;)

3 hours ago, tho0505 said:

At what point? When the decision for the logo was taken out of the alumni / students hands? The release of the new logo? Or since the majority wanted to keep North Dakota (without adopting a nickname) they forced a nickname?

When they took out North Dakota and gave us this crap to vote on.  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Look at how many of those logos are simply nothing more than a letter or letters. That is why UND did not need a logo with a bird on it. They could have and should have continued on with the ND logo.

I agree.  For example, your beloved favorite team, the Minnesota Golden Gophers, is partial to their "M" logo over the running squirrel-gopher-platypus character. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Yes, great example. Michigan is another school that uses nothing more than a letter M, simple and to the point. Just because a school's nickname happens to be Gophers or Wolverines or whatever does not automatically mean that said animal absolutely must be featured in the logo.

Yah.  Nothing says UND Fighting Hawks like continuing to use Notre Dame's logo.  Everyone knows it as theirs, regardless of what we think.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Couple of realities, 

1. The Fighting Sioux Nickname is never coming back... it sucks but that is just reality.

2. The Fighting Hawks is what we are stuck with for the foreseeable future. 40 or 50 years down the line, who knows, but for now we are stuck with it.

3. They will not admit that they made a mistake this early on the logo. Its only been a week since they relieved  the logo, they are not going to say "We fucked up" this early in the game. So we are stuck with Postal the Generic Hawk for now.

4. Changing logos is a much more realistic prospect than changing a nickname, sports teams and companies do it all the time for a number of reasons. 

So if we don't like the logo we can get them to change it, it won't happen tomorrow, but two years down the line is very possible. There are three things we can do to help change that. First and probably the best option is to put pressure on the alumni association to create an alternate logo for use by the alumni association. This is how we got the last fighting Sioux logo that was loved by the overwhelming majority of fans. The second thing we can do is to voice our disapproval, petitions, op-ed's and letters to the editor won't do a lot directly but they do help to build a case that a new logo is needed. The Final thing that can be done is don't by the new logo. This one is obviously controversial as some will associate refusing to buy the logo with not supporting the university. That said when it comes to apperal, team gear is not cheap, therefore as consumer If I do not want to spend my hard earned money on a gear bearing a logo I don't like that is not my fault. All three of these things working together could easily make the university decide to seek out an additional logo or replace the current logo in a few years time.

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Couple of realities, 

1. The Fighting Sioux Nickname is never coming back... it sucks but that is just reality.

2. The Fighting Hawks is what we are stuck with for the foreseeable future. 40 or 50 years down the line, who knows, but for now we are stuck with it.

3. They will not admit that they made a mistake this early on the logo. Its only been a week since they relieved  the logo, they are not going to say "We fucked up" this early in the game. So we are stuck with Postal the Generic Hawk for now.

4. Changing logos is a much more realistic prospect than changing a nickname, sports teams and companies do it all the time for a number of reasons. 

So if we don't like the logo we can get them to change it, it won't happen tomorrow, but two years down the line is very possible. There are three things we can do to help change that. First and probably the best option is to put pressure on the alumni association to create an alternate logo for use by the alumni association. This is how we got the last fighting Sioux logo that was loved by the overwhelming majority of fans. The second thing we can do is to voice our disapproval, petitions, op-ed's and letters to the editor won't do a lot directly but they do help to build a case that a new logo is needed. The Final thing that can be done is don't by the new logo. This one is obviously controversial as some will associate refusing to buy the logo with not supporting the university. That said when it comes to apperal, team gear is not cheap, therefore as consumer If I do not want to spend my hard earned money on a gear bearing a logo I don't like that is not my fault. All three of these things working together could easily make the university decide to seek out an additional logo or replace the current logo in a few years time.

Logo's mean a lot to you.  

9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Yah.  Nothing says UND Fighting Hawks like continuing to use Notre Dame's logo.  Everyone knows it as theirs, regardless of what we think.

Most people in our region (Dakotas and Minnesota) think of North Dakota when they see the interlocking ND.   About 90% of the stuff I see with that logo in the Twin Cities is UND related.  Probably different if you go to Alabama but who cares.  We are a regional school.

We have a great history of using it and I would hate to see it retired.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So one day "we" hate the logo because it's too plain and the next "we" hate the logo because "we" could have just had a block letter instead.  My spider senses are telling me "we" were committed to hating this logo no matter what.

I'm not sure if this was a reply to my post but if so my stance wasn't very clear.  

I think the new logo is pretty unimaginative but accept it and think there will be other versions eventually.   I don't think the new logo and the interlocking ND are mutually exclusive.  We used the interlocking ND in the past in conjunction with all of the different logos we have had.  

58 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Most people in our region (Dakotas and Minnesota) think of North Dakota when they see the interlocking ND.   About 90% of the stuff I see with that logo in the Twin Cities is UND related.  Probably different if you go to Alabama but who cares.  We are a regional school.

We have a great history of using it and I would hate to see it retired.  

Let me grab the point and drag it back over to you.

A school doesn't put out an entire new name/marketing campaign and then use the old logo secondary logo that became the defacto primary logo.  

If they keep it around fine, but they weren't going to use it as main logo.

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Let me grab the point and drag it back over to you.

A school doesn't put out an entire new name/marketing campaign and then use the old logo secondary logo that became the defacto primary logo.  

If they keep it around fine, but they weren't going to use it as main logo.

Your last line - that is what  I am asking for.  Not as a main logo but it looks like it will be retired completely.

We did that successfully with the Blackhawk logo, the geometric logo, the Brien loga.....and everything previous to that.    I always took a lot of pride in the interlocking ND, especially when I was a player at UND even though it wasn't our primary logo.  I would like to keep some continuity with our history.   I guess we can disagree on that.

I really don't buy the confusion with Notre Dame argument.  That was part of my original point.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That mindset says an awful lot. Reminds me of a battered spouse...'sure, he beats me, but I'm pretty lucky to be married at all, and I'm afraid to be out on my own.'

What's regional about D1 athletics?

What's regional about licensing goods into the stream of global commerce?

What's regional about having one of the top aerospace programs in the world?

The interlocking ND is not UND's identity. For once, wouldn't you like to walk into a sporting goods store and buy your team's hat without double-checking the back for an embroidered leprechaun?

I found Kelley's "Exceptional" mantra to be a bit much at times, but UND is striving to be more. UND has sought to create an identity.

Fighting Sioux, regional thinking, and being Notre Dame's bitch are in the past.

UND is looking to the future, and I applaud that.

Just be really really carful that you don't hurt the futures feelings, otherwise you might be in big big trouble. 

I wonder when every single college athlete is going to start getting participation trophies so nobody's feelings get hurt cuz they might get offended. No more national trophies.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

So one day "we" hate the logo because it's too plain and the next "we" hate the logo because "we" could have just had a block letter instead.  My spider senses are telling me "we" were committed to hating this logo no matter what.

That's what I was telling people. I told some buddies that I thought we could have released the Sioux head as our new logo and the immediate reaction would have been negative until they realized what the logo actually was. 

Again, compare the new Fighting Hawks logo to the ones used by UND in the past.  They have very similar features.  They all have a crisp, clean, contemporary look that is simple.  Nothing groundbreaking in college logo designs.  Schools have been doing it for years.  

logos.jpg

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I will be buying the new apparel and wearing it proudly. That's just me. Everyone else do whatever the hell they want to or don't want to. Go UND! Go Hawks!

As will I.  Right now I walk around with my Fighting Hawks t-shirt on and feel like a leper.  

As to the Notre Dame confusion, I was at a bar in Venice Beach a few years ago and was wearing a UND shirt with a big ND logo on it and some guy in a Notre Dame hat walked by and was like "NOTRE DAME! YEA!" My friends and i just stared at him and we he came out of the bathroom we all yelled "NORTH DAKOTA! YEEEAAAAA!!!" So yea, if Californians are confused then we should probably get rid of it.....