283 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the new Fighting Hawks logo

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

9 minutes ago, southpaw said:

They have always planned on having different variations for different backgrounds.  Just want to make it clear that there are no "modifications" being done.  The logo was decided on, and released, while Schafer was President so Kennedy would hopefully not have to deal with any of it.

Please let one be on an outline of the State.
I think that'd be a good shoulder patch or helmet logo when you already have the context of "North Dakota" from the rest of the uniform. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Please let one be on an outline of the State.
I think that'd be a good shoulder patch or helmet logo when you already have the context of "North Dakota" from the rest of the uniform. 

I agree that those versions as a patch looked best. 

2 hours ago, UND99 said:

HawkLogo4.JPG

They are not going to make the tips black or change the "D" in the logo to what you have here.  That being said, I do like the outline and shading.  Anyone you can mock up a version with they tips and the D they way they currently are but with this type of shading?

28 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Now that is a Big Improvement hope UND is paying attention 

The six different shades of green instantly makes this a no-go.  This is taking a flat logo and adding 14 photoshop effects to see how much it can imitate a 7th grader playing with photoshop for the first time.

• Upvote 1

This is the most realistic version of the current logo that I'm betting will appear.  Add a simple black outline to the existing artwork.

(adding the black to the feathers was something i threw out there to appease my own design sense)

UND outline.png

• Upvote 2

Just now, 77iceman said:

This is the most realistic version of the current logo that I'm betting will appear.  Add a simple black outline to the existing artwork.

(adding the black to the feathers was something i threw out there to appease my own design sense)

UND outline.png

My guess is there is only an outline when it's put on a green jersey.  I think the negative space on the white is what makes it look so nice.

2 minutes ago, southpaw said:

The six different shades of green instantly makes this a no-go.  This is taking a flat logo and adding 14 photoshop effects to see how much it can imitate a 7th grader playing with photoshop for the first time.

Settle down. I didn't use Photoshop - I am a complete amateur playing around with different logo concepts using software that is not at all meant for graphic design. The "six different shades of green" is beyond my control; it's a by-product of smoothing the image out so that it doesn't contain sharp edges that are a result of cutting/pasting different components of the logo. Thanks for the feedback though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, southpaw said:

My guess is there is only an outline when it's put on a green jersey.  I think the negative space on the white is what makes it look so nice.

Exactly.  When it appears on green or grey, i'm betting it gets the outline.  And honestly, when it's no green there may just be a white outline that

blends right into the hawk head.  I just absolutely hated that t-shirt in the press conference . . . an unacceptable use of the logo if i were writing the brand guide.

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

The logo was decided on, and released, while Schafer was President so Kennedy would hopefully not have to deal with any of it.

17 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Why didn't they make these modifications before releasing the logo?

. .not talking about the ss mockups but the tweaks that people claim are coming 

Kennedy will take over as the 12th president of UND no later than July 1, 2016.

They wanted to get out the main version of the logo before Kennedy took over.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

At least Rough Riders would've had some TR (import from NY) personality. :D

I'm not so sure given the "hawk" we just inherited; SME and Ed could've goofed up roughriders as well and given us a monkey riding a bucking zebra.   Although that would at least be original.  :huh:

16 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

It's a bird, it's plain, it's............. Siouxperbland!!!!

I spose that was the only way to shut the whiney pc crowd up. It reminds me me of that South Park episode where everything in the Christmas play offended someone so they ended up moving around on the stage in black tights

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I'm not so sure given the "hawk" we just inherited; SME and Ed could've goofed up roughriders as well and given us a monkey riding a bucking zebra.   Although that would at least be original.  :huh:

Golden ticket idea!  Love it

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I would buy new merchandise with this logo.  I will not buy anything with the lonesome dove on it.

My how attitudes change.  4-5 years ago it was "I hope the university is ready to sell ZERO merchandise now that the Sioux logo is gone".

13 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

The reality is the only people that see the interlocking ND as a North Dakota logo are North Dakota fans. 99.9% of the rest of the world sees it as Notre Dame.

News flash for everyone. 99.9% of the world (let a alone this country) couldn't find North Dakota on a map.  It doesn't matter if people mistake our ND for Notre Dame, they are a nationally recognized brand. To think this new logo is going to magically make UND more relevant from a national brand standpoint, is a far stretch.  

Not only will this logo not make us stand out more, but doesn't look good anyways. Mississippi, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, all get confused with one another at times.  Who cares really, it doesn't lessen the impact of the school and it's athletic program. 

• Upvote 4