SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Michigan - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yea 2011. I think that team had much better forwards but this one has a better d corps.

Yeah that 2011 team was as good of a team as you'll see in college hockey.  I don't know if I've ever been as disappointed in a loss as I was at the end of that year.  Was clearly the best team in college hockey that year and, in my opinion, by a wide margin.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, NewUNDAlum said:

Yeah that 2011 team was as good of a team as you'll see in college hockey.  I don't know if I've ever been as disappointed in a loss as I was at the end of that year.  Was clearly the best team in college hockey that year and, in my opinion, by a wide margin.

I realize it was a different era, but I recall WCHA  commentators saying before the tournament in 1987 that they just couldn't see anyone beating the circus when everything was on the line. 

2 hours ago, NewUNDAlum said:

Yep, and they got shut out for only the second time all season in that game...pumped 40 shots on goal and couldn't get one to go...that empty netter to ice it was just depressing.

50 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Fratty hit the crossbar on a clean look early in that one...and Chay had the goalie 10-15 feet out of the net and moving laterally and the tendy fell backwards and saved the shot with his falling arse

After it clipped off the end of the trapper

11 hours ago, NewUNDAlum said:

When you play one and done in sports that don't lend themselves to that (e.g. hockey and hoops in NCAA, the cream does not always rise to the top) and top teams don't get rewarded with home field/ice advantage (e.g. say as in football, such as NDSU in 1-AA playoffs up until the final) that's what happens and will continue to happen.  It makes for great tv drama/excitement though. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:16 PM, burd said:

As much as he has meant to this team, I'd be delighted if he decided there were things he still needs to work on before taking the next step.

FWIW, talked to one of his relatives at the Northeastern game and he thinks that he'll stay and that Vancouver wants him to stay another year.

I am thinking that Stecher stays for his senior season.  He's definitely talented enough to make the jump, and he's one of the best players and leaders that we have on our current team.  But he just strikes me as a guy that totally buys into the Sioux culture and wants to be playing a part of it for as long as he can.
We've seen it a few times...guys talented enough to leave early, but stay because "they'd stay at UND for longer if they could".

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, NewUNDAlum said:

That was a tough year. It honestly took a few weeks for me to stop thinking about that loss. That team was so special.

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

I am thinking that Stecher stays for his senior season.  He's definitely talented enough to make the jump, and he's one of the best players and leaders that we have on our current team.  But he just strikes me as a guy that totally buys into the Sioux culture and wants to be playing a part of it for as long as he can.
We've seen it a few times...guys talented enough to leave early, but stay because "they'd stay at UND for longer if they could".

Stecher strikes me as a guy that absolutely loves playing for UND. He looks like he is having so much fun. 

21 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yea 2011. I think that team had much better forwards but this one has a better d corps.

This coming from a non-hockey mind: The difference I see between this year's team and any other that I've watched in the last decade is the passing.  It always seems to be tape to tape.

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Late to the party on this one, but I see the CCM line went -7 against UND, as they were on the ice for 4 of the 5 Nodak goals.  They may be very dangerous on offense, but all talk of them being the "best" line in college hockey should be thrown out the window, IMO.

They were good against other Big Ten teams though when they could score more goals than the opponents did. ;)

Honestly, that line was offensively gifted no doubt but defensively? Atrocious and they got exposed when they played a team that actually played defense.

I always thought the CBS line and Denver's Pacific Rim Line are the best I've seen. The regional tournament confirmed that.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SiouxFanatic said:

They were good against other Big Ten teams though when they could score more goals than the opponents did. ;)

Honestly, that line was offensively gifted no doubt but defensively? Atrocious and they got exposed when they played a team that actually played defense.

I always thought the CBS line and Denver's Pacific Rim Line are the best I've seen. The regional tournament confirmed that I think.

Agree, CBS and Pacific Rim both have offensively gifted players who work hard on both the forecheck and in the dzone.  CCM wanted to carry the puck through the neutral zone and attack the o zone with speed and puck on stick.  Fun hockey to watch when it works, but very easily disrupted by a strong defensive team.

CBS is dynamic when they get to carry the puck into the zone, but they are also dynamic working the puck down low and pursuing pucks and puck carriers.

• Upvote 3

On 3/28/2016 at 9:26 AM, Dustin said:

This coming from a non-hockey mind: The difference I see between this year's team and any other that I've watched in the last decade is the passing.  It always seems to be tape to tape.

Overall playmaking ability is so good. Passing, skating, the ability to miss pads in traffic, lots of stuff. They are a phenomenal group.

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Agree, CBS and Pacific Rim both have offensively gifted players who work hard on both the forecheck and in the dzone.  CCM wanted to carry the puck through the neutral zone and attack the o zone with speed and puck on stick.  Fun hockey to watch when it works, but very easily disrupted by a strong defensive team.

CBS is dynamic when they get to carry the puck into the zone, but they are also dynamic working the puck down low and pursuing pucks and puck carriers.

That is their clear separation offensively from the CCM. Just so, so, so, so good in the zone. Creativity, strength on the boards, puck handling, and finishing. Such a dominant line.

Then, they all three go balls out in the defensive zone. I can't count how many times Schmaltz picked someone's pocket this weekend. Man, that was fun 120 minutes to watch. Here's to 120 more.

• Upvote 2