SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Northeastern - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, choyt3 said:

Probably #8. He was gassed at the end. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

He was terrific. Best player on the ice by a long ways today.

The biggest improvement in his game has been defensively, where he is a puck pursuit maniac.   Stellar.  Elite caliber.    A couple times his clever stickwork against bigger guys reminded me of Marian Hossa.   He's certainly not built like Hossa, but in playing both ends of the ice with truly elite intensity is what makes him so much fun to watch.    Here's hoping we get three more games this year in a UND uniform to enjoy this guy.

And while I think Schmaltz shows NHL caliber, he may not be the best guy on that line over the course of the season.  

• Upvote 1

Best game of the season so far...I haven't seen a Sioux team cycle the puck like that since the 2005 NCAA's when we took down BU and BC...Cycle that damn puck and make 3 line changes while the Huskies are just gassed.  Great effort; now go out and kill big Blue tomorrow!!

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

The biggest improvement in his game has been defensively, where he is a puck pursuit maniac.   Stellar.  Elite caliber.   

Definitely.  I don't remember a player that has come back in the neutral zone to just take a puck away from opposing players so often.
He does it 2-3 times per game and it is a huge benefit to transition back into offense for the CBS line.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, neoflex said:

I was at the game in '11. UND outplayed them, but once Michigan got the lead they clogged the lanes, played only defense, and didn't let much of anything near the goal. But that was then, and this is now. Payback time.

If I recall correctly, was that the game that Brock Nelson got checked from behind early in the game and was injured?  Not only did we miss Nelson's talent, it totally screwed up our line rotations.

5 hours ago, farce poobah said:

The biggest improvement in his game has been defensively, where he is a puck pursuit maniac.   Stellar.  Elite caliber.    A couple times his clever stickwork against bigger guys reminded me of Marian Hossa.   He's certainly not built like Hossa, but in playing both ends of the ice with truly elite intensity is what makes him so much fun to watch.    Here's hoping we get three more games this year in a UND uniform to enjoy this guy.

This quality, as much as anything, will make him valuable to a Toews-led Hawks team. 

5 hours ago, neoflex said:

I was at the game in '11. UND outplayed them, but once Michigan got the lead they clogged the lanes, played only defense, and didn't let much of anything near the goal. But that was then, and this is now. Payback time.

Don't  forget about the part where they kept throwing the puck out of the rink when we were putting pressure on them in their zone....

8 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

He was terrific. Best player on the ice by a long ways today.

Any discussion of best player on the ice yesterday would have to include Luke Johnson and I think you should be the one to say it.  Lol:silly:

Johnson set the pace with which the Sioux so impressively played that game...

3 hours ago, yababy8 said:

Any discussion of best player on the ice yesterday would have to include Luke Johnson and I think you should be the one to say it.  Lol:silly:

Johnson set the pace with which the Sioux so impressively played that game...

LJ played very well but to put him in the same category as #8 yesterday? Try again.

IMO Pogo was a total beast on that line.

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

LJ played very well but to put him in the same category as #8 yesterday? Try again.

IMO Pogo was a total beast on that line.

Well I won't get into a debate comparing #8 with LJ.  Schmaltz is a special player with rare skills AND I agree he had probably his best game as a Sioux yesterday.  He hustled, played physical, won puck battles and played with a grit and determination that I had not seen before.

LJ also played, imo, his best game game as a Sioux.  Seemed like everytime he was on the ice he completely dominated physically (and not over the edge) and won the battles (usually easily) and made the good play to advance the puck.

I noticed both him and Schmaltz in a positive way more than anyone else through the course of the game.  

LaDue and Poolman are my honorable mentions in the great game award.  Poganski had a great game too but he always does right?

Stecher the Lion (that's what I call him) had a good game but I consider him the best player on the team so yesterday was a middle of the road game for him. That is in no way any kind of criticism.   I'm looking for Stecher to be the man tonight.  Again I think he is the best player on the team.  Actually, I should be honest about it, I think Stecher is the best player in the Country but sports fans are a numbers based people and he isn't #1 in any categories.  He should be in Hobey conversations in my book...

...and then we could talk about Boeser.  He sure can take over!  Every once and a while he does something that makes me skip a breath and remind me that he is a freshman(mostly in the defensive zone) but he is a rare talent that is for sure. And I love his grit.

We are so lucky as Sioux fans to have all of these great players to go on and on about.  Lot's of opportunities there for sure.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, yababy8 said:

Well I won't get into a debate comparing #8 with LJ.  Schmaltz is a special player with rare skills AND I agree he had probably his best game as a Sioux yesterday.  He hustled, played physical, won puck battles and played with a grit and determination that I had not seen before.

LJ also played, imo, his best game game as a Sioux.  Seemed like everytime he was on the ice he completely dominated physically (and not over the edge) and won the battles (usually easily) and made the good play to advance the puck.

I noticed both him and Schmaltz in a positive way more than anyone else through the course of the game.  

LaDue and Poolman are my honorable mentions in the great game award.  Poganski had a great game too but he always does right?

Stecher the Lion (that's what I call him) had a good game but I consider him the best player on the team so yesterday was a middle of the road game for him. That is in no way any kind of criticism.   I'm looking for Stecher to be the man tonight.  Again I think he is the best player on the team.  Actually, I should be honest about it, I think Stecher is the best player in the Country but sports fans are a numbers based people and he isn't #1 in any categories.  He should be in Hobey conversations in my book...

...and then we could talk about Boeser.  He sure can take over!  Every once and a while he does something that makes me skip a breath and remind me that he is a freshman(mostly in the defensive zone) but he is a rare talent that is for sure. And I love his grit.

We are so lucky as Sioux fans to have all of these great players to go on and on about.  Lot's of opportunities there for sure.

And unlike many elite offensive players on other teams, our guys backcheck like maniacs.   Evan Trupp belonged on this team. 

• Upvote 1