SiouxSports.com Forum

Drop Fighting Hawks name

GeauxSioux

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Right, what I am saying is that this is the only decent logo I have seen and its not going to happen, I'm just trying to prove a point that the university will only give us a crappy generic logo to go with the crappy generic name. Something that looks like this.

crappy fighting hawks logo.jpg

Get rid of the bird head and it's not terrible.  Going with just wings would also be unique in the NCAA world, as far as I know at least.

18 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Get rid of the bird head and it's not terrible.  Going with just wings would also be unique in the NCAA world, as far as I know at least.

I agree.  I kind of like the wings image.   I'm guessing that's borrowed from somewhere?  (I don't get around much)

Seems to me the majority of NCAA logos (or any other logo) that has a bird as their nickname has usually the head of the bird or the entire bird as the logo.  UND really needs to differentiate itself from all the other bird logos.  (Of course not picking a bird nickname would have solved that, but that's a whole other argument).  I like the idea of using just the wings.  For all the people that say that the NCAA won't let us have feathers in our logo, that ridiculous.  The NCAA is not going to tell us our bird logo can't have feathers.  We can all agree that this logo needs to basically be a slam dunk in order to salvage the generic name.  Making it different from all the other bird logos should be taken into consideration.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Seems to me the majority of NCAA logos (or any other logo) that has a bird as their nickname has usually the head of the bird or the entire bird as the logo.  UND really needs to differentiate itself from all the other bird logos.  (Of course not picking a bird nickname would have solved that, but that's a whole other argument).  I like the idea of using just the wings.  For all the people that say that the NCAA won't let us have feathers in our logo, that ridiculous.  The NCAA is not going to tell us our bird logo can't have feathers.  We can all agree that this logo needs to basically be a slam dunk in order to salvage the generic name.  Making it different from all the other bird logos should be taken into consideration.

I don't think its the feathers, its the feathers done in a native headdress style, which is what some of the better concepts have had.

20 minutes ago, 4evrSIOUX said:

Please please please, can  the hawk be named Sue? That would silence the "you can't yell Sioux" people that think we need to move on!! Talk about sticking it to the NCAA. There is absolutely nothing they could so about that.

You are dreaming if you think that is going to happen.  I doubt we will see a goofy looking hawk mascot walking around.  At least not for a little while.  Would be more in favor of a live hawk that would circle the field/court/ice before each game.  Not a new concept, but definitely better than a green big bird like mascot running around!!

• 1 month later...

Look at all the sheep in this thread.  All the people that are willing to just accept "Fighting Hawks."  It's embarrassing and a suitable name for a Pee Wee Football team.  Not a proud University.  Mascots are supposed to be meaningful!  Something that people can feel and get behind.  Not a generic BS acronym.  I wont stand for the new name and neither should you.  Be a sheepdog and fight back or just sit back and get rolled over your whole life. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, SiouxSlickers11 said:

Look at all the sheep in this thread.  All the people that are willing to just accept "Fighting Hawks."  It's embarrassing and a suitable name for a Pee Wee Football team.  Not a proud University.  Mascots are supposed to be meaningful!  Something that people can feel and get behind.  Not a generic BS acronym.  I wont stand for the new name and neither should you.  Be a sheepdog and fight back or just sit back and get rolled over your whole life. 

Fighting back won't help and you and all of us know that... There is nothing we can do about the new nickname, I'm not a big fan of it but I'm willing to accept it

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 2/14/2016 at 9:48 AM, SiouxSlickers11 said:

You are about 6 years too late. 2010 was the NCAA deadline to get Standing Rock's blessing. If you think there is something that can be done, take a trip out there are talk to their tribal council. Report back on their answer.