SiouxSports.com Forum

Drop Fighting Hawks name

GeauxSioux

41 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

...  a monogram logo,...
... Maybe that's just the stylistic trend in college sports right now but it seems like its been this way for a long time. 

Seems that way to me also. 
I suspect that it's hard to be "offensive" (or "hostile and abusive") when you're primary marketing icon is a letter of the alphabet in a color or two so that approach would make academic-types happy. 

When the new athletics logo comes out I hope it includes a new "ND" icon that isn't the interlocked. We need to step away from "Our Lady of South Bend" and their usage of it (even though we used it first). 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

The Fighting Sioux logo was never on UND football helmets. The university is not going to spent a huge amount of money on a logo and not use it. If everyone needs an example of replacing a long standing nickname look at Grand Forks Central. How the Knights name and logo are on gear, and uniforms. Kinda hard to find a Redskins in the crowd.

How many times are you going to bring up this ridiculous apples and oranges argument.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I suspect that it's hard to be "offensive" (or "hostile and abusive") when you're primary marketing icon is a letter of the alphabet in a color or two so that approach would make academic-types happy. 

When the new athletics logo comes out I hope it includes a new "ND" icon that isn't the interlocked. We need to step away from "Our Lady of South Bend" and their usage of it (even though we used it first). 

UND_arrow_3.thumb.jpg.4af0cf03891c870ad5

Done!  Still interlocked, but different.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, petey23 said:

How many times are you going to bring up this ridiculous apples and oranges argument.

A school in GF dropped a NA nickname in 1991 to a new name in 1994. A university in GF dropped a NA nickname in 2012 to a new name in 2015. Why is this apples to oranges? 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Who is advocating for a generic bird? That seems to be quite different than what I said which was that a unique logo is important. 

How many media outlets, people and schools constantly confuse UND and NDSU, both when UND was the Fighting Sioux and didn't have a nickname? On top of that, not sure I'd use anything that happens at St. Clown as a baseline for making a point.

Yea can you honestly give me an idea of a unique hawk logo that isn't similar one of the other 28 schools in D1 that uses Hawks. The only decent one I have seen so far is the one done by Blane Durward but I doubt they will do anything like it, the the feather headdress would be offensive to someone.

Fighting Hawks.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Yea can you honestly give me an idea of a unique hawk logo that isn't similar one of the other 28 schools in D1 that uses Hawks. The only decent one I have seen so far is the one done by Blane Durward but I doubt they will do anything like it, the the feather headdress would be offensive to someone.

Fighting Hawks.jpg

Ugh.....................for the last time the logo on the right WILL NEVER happen. Can we at least put that to bed? F-n Hawks is generic and PC acceptable and so the logo will also be generic and PC acceptable.  To think otherwise is well........not thinking at all. 

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Ugh.....................for the last time the logo on the right WILL NEVER happen. Can we at least put that to bed? F-n Hawks is generic and PC acceptable and so the logo will also be generic and PC acceptable.  To think otherwise is well........not thinking at all. 

Right, what I am saying is that this is the only decent logo I have seen and its not going to happen, I'm just trying to prove a point that the university will only give us a crappy generic logo to go with the crappy generic name. Something that looks like this.

crappy fighting hawks logo.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Right, what I am saying is that this is the only decent logo I have seen and its not going to happen, I'm just trying to prove a point that the university will only give us a crappy generic logo to go with the crappy generic name. Something that looks like this.

crappy fighting hawks logo.jpg

Completely agree with your post except that what we eventually will wind up with will be much worse than "something that looks like this".  Trust me on this one.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I can't stand Notre Dame, its a Midwestern University that is under the delusion that its an East coast school, located in a Midwestern state that thinks its a Southern State, and they stole our logo.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Yea can you honestly give me an idea of a unique hawk logo that isn't similar one of the other 28 schools in D1 that uses Hawks.

So your solution is to push harder on a logo that is almost identical as a much more recognized University and almost always recognized as that by people not from the immediate area?

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So your solution is to push harder on a logo that is almost identical as a much more recognized University and almost always recognized as that by people not from the immediate area?

My solution would be to Stick with a Monogram style nickname, it doesn't have to be the one currently in use. Not that it matters we'll have to put up with some sort of abomination of generic hawk logo for a few years at least. Its all really mute anyway I suppose for the foreseeable future were stuck with crappy brand.

22 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I can't stand Notre Dame, its a Midwestern University that is under the delusion that its an East coast school, located in a Midwestern state that thinks its a Southern State, and they stole our logo.

You forgot "with a French name" and "that claims to be Catholic while behaving otherwise".

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Fighting Hawks.jpg

Howard and Bucknell (DI schools) use Bison as their nickname, and yet NDSU whose school (born about 30-50 years after the other two) came up with a logo different than Howard (whose is close to the Buffalo Bills) and Bucknell (whose is close to Manitoba). I am sure UND can come up with a logo that is not the same as the other 28 and in time will be a recognizable logo.

• Downvote 1

Just now, darell1976 said:

Howard and Bucknell (DI schools) use Bison as their nickname, and yet NDSU whose school (born about 30-50 years after the other two) came up with a logo different than Howard (whose is close to the Buffalo Bills) and Bucknell (whose is close to Manitoba). I am sure UND can come up with a logo that is not the same as the other 28 and in time will be a recognizable logo.

And my niece thinks she's getting a pony for her birthday. Oh I am sorry I thought we were listing things that would nice but are not likely to happen. Though to be fair you did say recognizable, at no point did you state that logo would be likable or good.

5 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

My solution would be to Stick with a Monogram style nickname, it doesn't have to be the one currently in use. Not that it matters we'll have to put up with some sort of abomination of generic hawk logo for a few years at least. Its all really mute anyway I suppose for the foreseeable future were stuck with crappy brand.

I've always associated the "University of North Dakota" as the brand. The "product" that is being put out isn't going to change, whether you are talking about hockey, football, basketball, academics, etc, it is just going to be in a different package.

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's academics; I'd like to see one for athletics. 

Better, I'd like a new one that would work for both. 

I have wondered why the flame logo was never used for athletics as it used to be on the court of the Hyslop.

5 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Well if your going to go with that then lets just go back to Flickertails and have this guy as our mascot

Conker.jpg

Careful or you're going to get that ermine guy all upset because he didn't think to make his choice a cartoon character.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Careful or you're going to get that ermine guy all upset because he didn't think to make his choice a cartoon character.

Hey if they had said "Were going with flicker tails but were buying the rights to Conker and using him as our mascot, then I would have been all on board with Flickertails.