SiouxSports.com Forum

Drop Fighting Hawks name

GeauxSioux

25 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Only because they had a building built with a thousand Sioux logos and had a giant Sioux logo on their jersey, or else the football team wore a Sioux logo on their jersey, had Sioux in the endzones and had a couple Sioux logos at Memorial Stadium, the basketball teams has Sioux on their court to this day, they did have Sioux on their jerseys but yet all those sports got over losing the name and fans of those sports starting embracing the new name, except hockey because it's the hockey only crowd that still wants Sioux back at all costs, it's the hockey only crowd you hear booing the new name over the PA, so don't blame us for calling a duck a duck. 

So I'm part of this "hockey only crowd" and these statements don't pertain to me.  Am I a duck?

There wasn't one person in either of the sections I sat in booing the new nickname... and I don't think heard any quacking either.

21 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So I'm part of this "hockey only crowd" and these statements don't pertain to me.  Am I a duck?

There wasn't one person in either of the sections I sat in booing the new nickname... and I don't think heard any quacking either.

You don't hear booing except at hockey games, and it was noticeable enough for the media to cover it. The main crowd behind Al Carlson's state law and to keep the name at all costs was the hockey only crowd because UND wasn't hosting an NCAA hockey playoff game only a conference playoff game. The real losers of that sanction was surprise surprise football and basketball, whose crowd has pretty much moved on while the hockey only crowd hasn't.

26 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

You don't hear booing except at hockey games, and it was noticeable enough for the media to cover it. The main crowd behind Al Carlson's state law and to keep the name at all costs was the hockey only crowd because UND wasn't hosting an NCAA hockey playoff game only a conference playoff game. The real losers of that sanction was surprise surprise football and basketball, whose crowd has pretty much moved on while the hockey only crowd hasn't.

So I haven't moved on? News to me... speaking in generalizations is great when it benefits you.  Maybe some of the football only or basketball only fans good benefit from some of the passion of the hockey only crowd.  I mean, if you could have 12k per game at football games but some of them booed the nickname, you'd absolutely take it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I don't think you have to wear the jersey to understand the culture that still exists within the Men's hockey program.  I've heard many players and coaches still let a "play Sioux hockey" slip.  Maybe some of the other sports could benefit from this attitude as the hockey team is the most successful on campus?  I'm really sick of people singling out hockey players and "hockey only fans" too, as if those fans are somehow above it.  Yes we are changing nicknames and it may take Men's hockey longer but IMO they embraced the Sioux name more than other sports so could be part of it. 

They're the least clutch team I know that. They've had infinitely more chances at a title in the last 8 years and have just as many titles as every other program, 0.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Embracing the Fighting Hawks name does not make you less of a Sioux fan.  It does not mean you agree with the NCAA and their position on NA nicknames.   It does not mean that you are forgetting the history of UND had with the Sioux tribes.  It does not mean you are trying to erase the history of the great Sioux Nation.  It does not mean that you have to throw away all of your Sioux apparel and merchandise.  It does not mean that you will like the name as much as the Fighting Sioux.  What is does mean is you are choosing to accept the past and everything that has happened these last 10 plus years and recognize that the Fighting Sioux name is not going to be the nickname for UND ever again and that the Fighting Hawks name is here to stay.  Like I said.  It does not mean you have to forget the history and pride that went along with it.   We all as UND fans don't need yet another thing to be fighting over.  These past 10 years have been yough for everyone involved.  Now that we have a name and soon to be logo, you annot argue that it is in the best interest to embrace the Fighting Hawks name and move forward.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So the hockey crowd's passion is to boo the school nickname whom their team is playing for? If that's passion I don't want any of it. I am supporting UND and whatever nickname they have.

No, again generalizations are great for making points... a vocal minority (mostly students) boos the nickname. And yes if you could have 12k at every sporting event for some students booing(temporarily, this isn't lasting forever) you'd take it.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

I'd say 90% of those booing Fighting Hawks are students - I have no idea if they are Hockey only

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I don't think you have to wear the jersey to understand the culture that still exists within the Men's hockey program.  I've heard many players and coaches still let a "play Sioux hockey" slip.  Maybe some of the other sports could benefit from this attitude as the hockey team is the most successful on campus?  I'm really sick of people singling out hockey players and "hockey only fans" too, as if those fans are somehow above it.  Yes we are changing nicknames and it may take Men's hockey longer but IMO they embraced the Sioux name more than other sports so could be part of it. 

So are you insinuating that the culture has been dependent on an inanimate object all this time? Seems to me you're selling the program short by claiming "Sioux hockey" and its success was somehow attributed to a logo (which has been changed multiple times) or a nickname rather than the time and effort countless players and staff have put in over the last how many decades. While I get what you're trying to say about the idea of "Sioux hockey", you would have to also claim to believe that if UND had remained the Flickertails or picked some other nickname instead of Sioux (before being changed to Fighting Sioux), the program would have been less successful.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Al Carlson used this issue as a means to "reign in" the SBoHE.  It would have come on any issue he could have used to keep them under control of the legislature.  There was more to this but my memory is totally failing me.

20 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Embracing the Fighting Hawks name does not make you less of a Sioux fan.  It does not mean you agree with the NCAA and their position on NA nicknames.   It does not mean that you are forgetting the history of UND had with the Sioux tribes.  It does not mean you are trying to erase the history of the great Sioux Nation.  It does not mean that you have to throw away all of your Sioux apparel and merchandise.  It does not mean that you will like the name as much as the Fighting Sioux.  What is does mean is you are choosing to accept the past and everything that has happened these last 10 plus years and recognize that the Fighting Sioux name is not going to be the nickname for UND ever again and that the Fighting Hawks name is here to stay.  Like I said.  It does not mean you have to forget the history and pride that went along with it.   We all as UND fans don't need yet another thing to be fighting over.  These past 10 years have been yough for everyone involved.  Now that we have a name and soon to be logo, you annot argue that it is in the best interest to embrace the Fighting Hawks name and move forward.

This.

I guess I am naïve, because I didn't realize there was such a Hockey/all other sports divide.  I am a hockey fan but I guess I didn't realize there were people who supported the hockey team and not the others.   That's a shame.

1 minute ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

This.

I guess I am naïve, because I didn't realize there was such a Hockey/all other sports divide.  I am a hockey fan but I guess I didn't realize there were people who supported the hockey team and not the others.   That's a shame.

Are you serious?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

This.

It is a shame, I love all the programs at UND, but I wouldn't jeopardize any of them by retaining a nickname that is on the NCAA's naughty list like some people of a particular sport.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

To a point, yes.  Are you telling me that the hockey only people wouldn't cheer the football team in the playoffs or Basketball in the big dance?

I hate the biSon (more so their fans), but at the end of the day, it is good for the state of ND.

Some of the hockey only fans are NDSU fans, so no they wouldn't cheer for UND in any sport except hockey.

Just now, MoreSiouxForYou said:

Frankly, yes.  Are you telling me that the hockey only people wouldn't cheer the football team in the playoffs or Basketball in the big dance?

Yah, in the Big Dance or the Playoffs...who wouldn't?  How about the other 11 regular season games for football or 30 games for basketball?  Therein lies the problem.