SiouxSports.com Forum

Drop Fighting Hawks name

GeauxSioux

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Just ask people in Grand Forks if Knights have caught on at Central, or Devils Lake or Wahpeton. It will take time but eventually it will grow on people, and you will start to see Fighting Hawks gear more and more at the Alerus and the Betty and eventually the Ralph when a logo is picked and if they have new Fighting Hawk hockey jerseys. "Come fly with the Hawks" is a good catch phrase and I hope it stays.

How bout "Come Fight with the Hawks".

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 6:45 PM, siouxvikes said:

I voted for the Fighting Hawks!  It was the best name out of the bunch by a MILE!  I mean the University of North Dakota Nodaks?  Really?  The North Dakota North Dakotas.  Good god. 

And the fighting hawks?  Yeah, let's just steal university of Maryland-eastern shores fighting hawks nickname, that's original.

Fighting Hawks sucks, sure.  But it's a hell of a lot better than the other crap ass nicknames that were on the ballot. 

And the line of "champions club received a record number of donations" doesn't necessarily stand for alumni "support." 

You HAVE to donate to the champions club for season hockey tickets.  THAT is where the money is coming from, I'd hardly call that a donation to the "university" and say it equals "alumni support."  It's simply people that want season hockey tickets. 

fixed it for ya...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2015 at 6:45 PM, siouxvikes said:I voted for the Fighting Hawks!  It was the best name out of the bunch by a MILE!  I mean the University of North Dakota Nodaks?  Really?  The North Dakota North Dakotas.  Good god. 

And the Roughriders?  Yeah, let's just steal the local high school's nickname, that's original.

Fighting Hawks sucks, sure.  But it's a hell of a lot better than the other crap ass nicknames that were on the ballot. 

And the line of "champions club received a record number of donations" doesn't necessarily stand for alumni "support." 

You HAVE to donate to the champions club for season hockey tickets.  THAT is where the money is coming from, I'd hardly call that a donation to the "university" and say it equals "alumni support."  It's simply people that want season hockey tickets. 

At this point We can hope that the Fighting Hawks become the metaphorical Pope Benedict XVI to this whole nickname issue...

Not following? Let me explain.

Pope John Paul II was one of the more beloved pope's in modern history, when he died the next pope Benedict has some big shoes to fill and in many respects never did. He became the first pope to retire, he was then replaced the more successful and Popular Francis.

Basically in this analogy John-Paul is the Fighting Sioux, Benedict is the Fighting Hawks, and a yet be determined nickname could become Francis.

Apologizes to any Catholics if you were offended, that was not my intent.

• Upvote 1

Rather than "Drop" I would just say "Ignore". Perhaps UND will get the hint and use the name only as much as is needed. It's not like sales of merchandise is ever going to amount to much after the initial purchases are made. The reason people have a closet full of Fighting Sioux clothing is because of the logo. I don't see much hope of  anyone wanting a closet full of Fighting Hawk clothing. 

I was in Grand Forks last week and didn't find anyone who likes the new nickname.  I did find a lot of people who liked the idea of no nickname and just be known as North Dakota.  Unfortunately, that option was removed twice. 

UND will have an interim president  next month who is a politician.  Politicians are known for working behind the scenes to get things done for their constituents (aka big dollar folks).  Perhaps there is something in the works.  One can only hope, after the debacle that we have seen this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

The push to eradicate 'offensive' nicknames

The new proposed nickname is the “Western Fern.” I'm sure someone will object to that also.

The professor went on to say that the “mascot also reflects a sort of hyper masculine, hyper violent sort of image which is doubly problematic. I think we really ought to reconsider.” A “student leader” complained that the mascot doesn't portray “students of color.”

How in the world is this school in the same country that generated millions of selfless young men and women who went to war to protect our freedoms? With students and professors like this, is it any wonder that ISIS is rampaging across the world?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

We have become a society of mostly pansy ass bed wetters that are offended by everything! Sad to see. Pretty soon Moorhead HS and Concordia (MN) will have to change their nicknames too as some pacifier sucking wimp will be offended because vegetables have feelings too.

As far as ISIS probably coming to a community near you......and soon.

Happy New Year!

On 12/19/2015 at 8:22 AM, LetsGoSioux! said:

There is only ONE University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks!!!

How about "your generic and politically correct University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks" it would be an accurate statement on the new nickname "choice".

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

How about "your generic and politically correct University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks" it would be an accurate statement on the new nickname "choice".

If it would have more accurately been presented that way instead of as a copyrighted logo that UND will never use, it probably wouldn't have won.

• Upvote 3

Just now, jdub27 said:

If it would have more accurately been presented that way instead of as a copyrighted logo that UND will never use, it probably wouldn't have won.

I'm not so sure - I had figured it would come down to Roughriders vs Fighting Hawks, I just didn't think people would be so hung up on the fact that Red River High School has the same nickname. I though their was a lot more potential with Roughriders but realistically I thought Nokota's or Raiders would have been a lot better choices (Assuming that the no nickname option was off the table).