SiouxSports.com Forum

Drop Fighting Hawks name

GeauxSioux

7 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Not sure but a lot of people are NDSU football/basketball fans and UND hockey only fans. 

I'd probably say they were NDSU fans and then UND hockey fans. Is this considered part of the "hockey only crowd"? Am I doing this right?

This is maddening.

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd probably say they were NDSU fans and then UND hockey fans. Is this considered part of the "hockey only crowd"? Am I doing this right?

This is maddening.

I hear you.  Because then that means that the NDSU/UND Hockey fans want to keep the Fighting Sioux name, right?  So is that just to continue to impede the school?  diabolical!!

Hockey Only= NDSU Fan?  Is that where this goes? <tongue in cheek>

20 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This is maddening.

I know of a few NDSU fans that like UND hockey.

10 minutes ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

I hear you.  Because then that means that the NDSU/UND Hockey fans want to keep the Fighting Sioux name, right?  So is that just to continue to impede the school?  diabolical!!

Hockey Only= NDSU Fan?  Is that where this goes? <tongue in cheek>

No, it does not mean that and I'm assuming that was a joke.

Why this is maddening to me....

All of this talk is speaking in absolutes.

- "Hockey only" fans don't support UND because they want to keep the Sioux name and don't yet buy into Hawks.

- Supporters of Hawks are better fans than the Sioux holdouts

- Hawks fans are betraying their Sioux history

Can't we just agree to disagree and move on? The Sioux name is gone and is never coming back. FH is here to stay. HOWEVER, that DOES NOT MEAN that those who have yet to move on from the Sioux name won't eventually do so. For sake of this stupid thread, can we just allow people to figure it out for themselves? Who am I to judge someone who hasn't moved on yet from something that has been a part of them for a long time. And on the flip side, who am I to judge someone who has "moved on" and wears Hawks gear?

11 pages of this is enough.

We are all UND fans and to say one is more of a fan than the other is SO. FREAKING. STUPID.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

You don't hear booing except at hockey games, and it was noticeable enough for the media to cover it. The main crowd behind Al Carlson's state law and to keep the name at all costs was the hockey only crowd because UND wasn't hosting an NCAA hockey playoff game only a conference playoff game. The real losers of that sanction was surprise surprise football and basketball, whose crowd has pretty much moved on while the hockey only crowd hasn't.

BS, hockey would not have been allowed in the playoffs,  home or otherwise, same as bb fb. Now,  just fb can have home playoffs,  bb does not,  it will likely be allowed again for hockey soon. I see no benefit for any sport in keeping the name. 

5 minutes ago, sprig said:

BS, hockey would not have been allowed in the playoffs,  home or otherwise, same as bb fb. Now,  just fb can have home playoffs,  bb does not,  it will likely be allowed again for hockey soon. I see no benefit for any sport in keeping the name. 

You and I feel this way. But there were people on this forum that wanted to keep the name and logo at all costs.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sprig said:

Hockey never had NCAA playoffs at home except for regionals. The conference playoffs were at home, then after that was the conference finals (usually in Minneapolis) so the Sioux name wouldn't affect that.

Actually UND basketball can host tournament games (outside of the dance) as there are 3 other NCAA tournaments that end the season (which wouldn't be possible with the Sioux name). But the name is gone, we are complying with the NCAA, and maybe UND can even host another regional at the Ralph.

15 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Hockey never had NCAA playoffs at home except for regionals. The conference playoffs were at home, then after that was the conference finals (usually in Minneapolis) so the Sioux name wouldn't affect that.

Actually UND basketball can host tournament games (outside of the dance) as there are 3 other NCAA tournaments that end the season (which wouldn't be possible with the Sioux name). But the name is gone, we are complying with the NCAA, and maybe UND can even host another regional at the Ralph.

Hockey used to have 8 teams and had best two out of three playoff series at the higher seed. The Hrkac Circus swept St. Lawrence at home in 1987.

Mar. 20/Mar. 21   St. Lawrence
  NCAA Quarterfinal
  W 3-1/W 6-3

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you, but I also have fond memories of those Final Five titles we won in 2006, 2010-12.

Is that because we won a hotel shaped trophy or because of great moments like Trupp carrying the puck up ice in the air or the 6 unanswered goals or great games like the Denver one when Frattin was a senior?

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Is that because we won a hotel shaped trophy or because of great moments like Trupp carrying the puck up ice in the air or the 6 unanswered goals or great games like the Denver one when Frattin was a senior?

The moments.....don't get me started on that butt-ugly trophy. What was wrong with the old Broadmoor Trophy; I loved that one.

21 hours ago, darell1976 said:

...because it's the hockey only crowd that still wants Sioux back at all costs, it's the hockey only crowd you hear booing the new name over the PA, so don't blame us for calling a duck a duck. 

This is such an asinine statement; just keep generalizing everything to fit your position.  So ALL people who want the Sioux name back ONLY support hockey. ALL people that boo the new nickname ONLY support hockey.  Yeah, ok. :huh: 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

This is such an asinine statement; just keep generalizing everything to fit your position.  So ALL people who want the Sioux name back ONLY support hockey. ALL people that boo the new nickname ONLY support hockey.  Yeah, ok. :huh: 

All? I like how you added that word not me. :silly: