SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

We have a ways to go but we are getting better.  We had a good recruiting year again.  Still need to improve the passing game and maintain the improvement in the run game and continue to improve the oline play. . Keep checking the rear view mirror.  We will get there.

Yes, there is a lot to still improve on. With that said, the expectations - from here on out - are playoffs or bust. No more excuses. There are plenty of people within the UND program and around it that are tired of being non-playoff contenders; that's not what UND football has historically been about. 

Point is, the vision that Bubba has for this team is not a "1 out of 4 year playoff participant". Consistent conference championships is the long-term goal, but let's get #1 first. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

As has been pointed out by others, Santiago wasn't the same player at the beginning of the season compared to the end. Secondly, the offensive line was getting pushed 3-4 yards into the backfield on nearly every play. UND could have had anyone they wanted play running back that day and probably would have had very little success. The further that game gets in the past it seems the more UND fans forget how big of a drubbing took place in the fargodome that day. If I recall the stats correctly I believe that was close to the worst offensive performance ndsu had ever played against. 

Truth is, there's no way to know whether Santiago or anyone else on the sidelines could have made any difference. They didn't, and the game is over.

And this thread is about the 2016 Season, so let's get back to that. Who's with me?

• Upvote 2

Let them post.  I agree with the moderators.  They shouldn't be banned anymore than the Sioux fans who are intolerant of anyone with a dissenting opinion. When you are bored go back and see what kind of criticism people get and how defensive people get over someone else's opinion.  This is a blog.  If any of you define yourselves by the success or failures of your favorite college team then I think that is too bad for you.  Most of these AC fans who post,  define themselves by the success of their football team but this guy  asked a legitimate question.  If you don't wish to discuss with him (or her) don't). 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I actually think the stage was too big for Santiago, and a lot of our players that day. There were many times where there was a hole to run to or through but the ball carrier got happy feet and plunged straight into the OL and DL. There were some big gains to be had if the RBs had calmed down and used their vision. That said a lot of our guys weren't ready for that level of play or atmosphere. That's why I'm happy we did it. They'll never be that overwhelmed again. They'll be prepared and hungry next time.

The next time they play them there will be nobody on the UND roster that will have played in that atmosphere before. They won't be anymore prepared than this year. The staff has played in the Fargodome before but they couldn't seem to get the players prepared for it this year, so why will 2019 be any different? They will think it will be no different than playing in the Alerus, Walkup Skydome or Idaho's dome.

• Downvote 7

On 1/24/2016 at 11:05 AM, darell1976 said:

Phones being weird. Guess I'll be speaking for Darell.

Next time they play, yeah none of them will have any experience in the dome.  Not sure how much that will matter. They play Montana in Montana, I'm sure that's pretty similar.

Not sure how much the dome will impact it. This last year they could have played in Hillsboro... UND was not going to move the ball that day. Maybe in a few years them have a better team and it'll change things up... Who knows, maybe NDSU won't be that great anymore. Hopefully it's better than this last game.

18 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Most of us knew where we were compared to the AC before the game.  That is why I didn't  wish to play them until the playoffs.  I think there is a reasonable chance we could have played them had we gotten by round one of the playoffs, and won another FCS game instead of playing them. We were a better team at the end of the year as some pointed out. We couldn't run a lick against the AC and Studsrud was terrible when we played them.  At the end of the year he was playing the best FB of his short career and our running game was clicking. I get the argument for having been overlooked for the playoffs.  I just don't think there is any point in complaining we got screwed by the committee when we didn't do what we needed to do. 

I think we are moving forward and my comment was we should focus on next year and the things we can control so we don't have anything like that to complain about next year.

All I have to say is regionalization.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

The next time they play them there will be nobody on the UND roster that will have played in that atmosphere before. They won't be anymore prepared than this year. The staff has played in the Fargodome before but they couldn't seem to get the players prepared for it this year, so why will 2019 be any different? They will think it will be no different than playing in the Alerus, Walkup Skydome or Idaho's dome.

This comment reflects just how ignorant and delusional the NDSU fan base has become. The idea that UND will remain in the toilet with regards to football is the very definition of ignorance. But keep telling yourself that if you wish.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

54 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This comment reflects just how ignorant and delusional the NDSU fan base has become. The idea that UND will remain in the toilet with regards to football is the very definition of ignorance. But keep telling yourself that if you wish.

The delusion is this -- that NDSU will be where it is now, in 2019. Also, the teams will meet before then in the playoffs, unless UND is held out with 8 wins or more for the next four years, or they change regionalization.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

After reading the last few posts I am questioning why anyone here is calling NDSU fans delusional and arrogant.

Pot meet kettle.

I am questioning why you wasted everyone's time posting that.

Go back to BV and read about the stranglehold you have on ND recruiting.  

13 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

All I have to say is regionalization.

Yah, regionalization.  No different than UND women's hoops in the late 80s to mid 90s.  They were consistently a top ten to top five D-2 team nationally yet couldn't even advance past their own NCAA region to the national final 8 as NDSU was super team too (that obviously changed late 90s to early 2000s).  Not really fair but that was the system in place.   

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Hah, that's exactly what AC fans thought too in the late 80s/very early 90s (we lost like 10-12 years straight to the knuckleheads) but then it changed..... 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ClassB said:

The delusion is this -- that NDSU will be where it is now, in 2019. Also, the teams will meet before then in the playoffs, unless UND is held out with 8 wins or more for the next four years, or they change regionalization.

I don't know what the '19 game will look like, but I also thought it delusional to think '15 would look like '11.

Between regionalization and teams moving up, all bets are off.

On February 9, 2016 at 3:01 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

I didn't think I said UND football was in the toilet now or wil be in the future. All I was saying is the when UND fans are saying they won't be caught off guard and affected by the Fargodome atmosphere the next time they play the is not true. None of the players in 2019 will have played there before and you can't prepare them without actually having been there before. And 2019 is the next time the are scheduled to play. Anytime before that is very speculative, even if both make the playoffs. I will take that bet if anyone wants it. Not that UND doesn't make the playoffs, because I think they will, but that they won't meet in the playoffs before 2019?

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I didn't think I said UND football was in the toilet now or wil be in the future. All I was saying is the when UND fans are saying they won't be caught off guard and affected by the Fargodome atmosphere the next time they play the is not true. None of the players in 2019 will have played there before and you can't prepare them without actually having been there before. And 2019 is the next time the are scheduled to play. Anytime before that is very speculative, even if both make the playoffs. I will take that bet if anyone wants it. Not that UND doesn't make the playoffs, because I think they will, but that they won't meet in the playoffs before 2019?

To say they won't meet in the playoffs before 2019 is to say that they won't both make second round in the same year (basically). Which we, at UND, don't see happening.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

South Dakota was able to prepare - 

8 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Zero atmosphere, morgue.  Nobody cares about the Yotes.

However, the 2016 Potato Bowl in Grand Forks against the Yotes will be a fun one. Not to mention, Bubba will be facing his old UMD boss in Bob Nielson and the Big Sky-MVFC clashes are always fun. Should be a good game and, of course, hopefully Bubba Blitz terrorizes USD's QB all day long.   

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

However, the 2016 Potato Bowl in Grand Forks against the Yotes will be a fun one. Not to mention, Bubba will be facing his old UMD boss in Bob Nielson and the Big Sky-MVFC clashes are always fun. Should be a good game and, of course, hopefully Bubba Blitz terrorizes USD's QB all day long.   

That's a gaurantee!!  Combine a loaded and talented d line thats experienced with quick aggressive linebackers, you will get a heavy dose of blitzkrieg.  Bring the pain