SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

2 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

He took his finals last semester. 

That's great to know. I had heard there was some question about that, but it was speculation more than anything. He's a rare talent so it would be great to have him back in the classroom and on the field, whenever that might happen!

2016 UND football roster has been released in time for spring football via undsports.com: http://www.undsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&SPID=6399&SPSID=58641&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Some things of note:

16 Torrey Hunt DB 6-1 185 RFr.

Madison, Ala. (Navy Prep) (Bob Jones)

10 Jawon Johnson DB 6-2 210 Sr.

Johnson still listed as DB and not OLB (he played at the end of 2015). He may still be playing at OLB.

30 DaQuan Baker LB 6-0 240 So.

Baker played some DE last season; he may be moving back to LB apparently, or just not updated as with Jawon Johnson. 

38 Dijon Murray LB 6-0 225 Jr. New Orleans, La. (New Mexico Military Academy) (St. Augustine)

97 Jacob Meeks P 6-0 220 Jr. Corinth, Miss. (Northeast Mississippi ) (Corinth)

14 Joe Mollberg TE 6-2 235 Sr. Detroit Lakes, Minn. (Detroit Lakes High School)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDfan2013 said:

I am conflicted on this news and initially disappointed with the coaching staff.  I understand 18-22 year old kids will not always make the best choices.  However I thought the coaches had this high principal and require their athletes to work hard, stay out of trouble and be fully committed to UND football.  That last part is what bothers me.  He quit the team, the reason why really doesn't matter when he appears to be welcomed back with open arms.  Other players have been busting their butts with workouts and lifting, doing their school work and are truly committed.  Is this the story of another athlete that gets special treatment?

I am going to wait to make my final judgment and see how this all plays out with the coaches actions.

I would disagree that he quit the team. He played a full season, and it sounds like he did everything that was required of him in the classroom. He made a choice to leave school after the 1st semester for family reasons, not for academic or disciplinary ones.

A former coach at my alma mater always preaches "Faith, Family, Football - in that order." UND doesn't necessarily come with the faith component, but I think most would agree that family trumps football. If he had chosen football over family, people would be criticizing him and questioning his character there, too. I trust the coaches to consider the circumstances and make the right decision. Assuming he does rejoin the team, I assume that there's a pretty firm and explicit understanding that this only happens once.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, UNDfan2013 said:

Am interested to see Oscar Nevermann hit the field.  Heard he was a beast in the weight room.  Do you think he will continue as a RB or change positions?

This spring we will sort out roles for Norberg and Nevermann.  Could be some slash players with snaps at RB/FB/H-back/TE.

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

This spring we will sort out roles for Norberg and Nevermann.  Could be some slash players with snaps at RB/FB/H-back/TE.

Very, very good point. Do not underestimate the loss of Zach Alder; he was a Swiss-army knife of sorts for the offense, playing both FB and TE. Having Norberg and/or Nevermann transition to that role could be key to the effectiveness of the offense in 2016. 

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Mentioning TE, seems #14 is listed as one ... 

Interesting to hear the "experts" talk about the Penn State QB Hackenberg and how he got  the crap knocked out of him at Penn State and how it affected his mechanics, reads etc.  They aren't going to condemn him for things out of his control and he will likely be selected in the 2nd or 3rd round by a team that will give him a chance to improve and develop. Hard to make consistent reads when you have 1/2 to 2 sec to throw. Of course that wouldn't have any effect on a QB in the Big Sky. Also interesting to hear how Wentz talked about developing as a back up under Johnson. He will likely be the first or second QB selected (despite what some of the "experts" on this blog think about him).  Just thinking.... I wonder if any of that applies to QB's at UND or shouldn't  I wonder cuz I'm from DL?  

Edited by iramurphy
spelling

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Interesting to hear the "experts" talk about the Penn State QB Hackelberg, and how he got  the crap knocked out of him at Penn State and how it affected his mechanics, reads etc.  They aren't going to condemn him for things out of his control and he will likely be selected in the 2nd or 3rd round by a team that will give him a chance to improve and develop. Hard to make consistent reads when you have 1/2 to 2 sec to throw. Of course that wouldn't have any effect on a QB in the Big Sky. Also interesting to hear how Wentz talked about developing as a back up under Johnson. He will likely be the first or second QB selected (despite what some of the "experts" on this blog think about him).  Just thinking.... I wonder if any of that applies to QB's at UND or shouldn't  I wonder cuz I'm from DL?  

Are you comparing Mollberg to Wentz and Hackenberg?

6 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

He took his finals last semester. 

I was the one who stated he didn't take his finals.  I had heard it from what should be a very reliable source.  I certainly hope my source was incorrect - it would be great to have him back and eligible this fall!

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He's saying unlike Wentz Joe was thrust into the lineup before he was ready. He had no qb to mentor him til he was a junior. And like Hackenberg he was either running for his life or trying to throw from his ass.

So he is comparing Joe to them.  Got it.

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Interesting to hear the "experts" talk about the Penn State QB Hackelberg, and how he got  the crap knocked out of him at Penn State and how it affected his mechanics, reads etc.  They aren't going to condemn him for things out of his control and he will likely be selected in the 2nd or 3rd round by a team that will give him a chance to improve and develop. Hard to make consistent reads when you have 1/2 to 2 sec to throw. Of course that wouldn't have any effect on a QB in the Big Sky. Also interesting to hear how Wentz talked about developing as a back up under Johnson. He will likely be the first or second QB selected (despite what some of the "experts" on this blog think about him).  Just thinking.... I wonder if any of that applies to QB's at UND or shouldn't  I wonder cuz I'm from DL?  

Unfortunately, when Mollberg was playing QB for UND in 2013 and 2014, the team did not have the running game necessary for the QB to thrive. I think there is plenty of potential for Mollberg to do nice things at the TE position in 2016  - best of luck to him! 

A cute little stat I like to use is total rushing yards on offense; it usually lines up quite nicely with QB play, as one would expect:

2013 (Mussman's final season) - 891 yards rushing for UND; 15 passing TDs to 19 interceptions

2014 (Bubba's first season) - 1397 rushing yards; 6 passing TDs to 13 interceptions

2015 - 2645 rushing yards; 15 passing TDs to 5 interceptions

Basically, without a productive running game, its hard to prevent turnovers and have solid quarterback play (judged on TD:INT ratio, here). This is why its quite evident, in my opinion, that focusing on the ground game is absolutely what Bubba and UND need to continue to do. QB play will follow. Studsrud and his returning WR corps should do some nice things in 2016. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Are you comparing Mollberg to Wentz and Hackenberg?

Of course not, and that wasn't the point. 

I'm comparing the situation at Penn State where the QB has no time to throw and gets no protection and the crap kicked out of him to what Bartels and Mollberg went through here the first 2 years they played. They both took a lot of criticism from fans and I am stating that what I and some others tried to say is  that it isn't fair to give up on them based on playing in a survival mode.  I'm stating that there is value to a QB to develop as a Freshman and Sophomore in a good system. Both of those guys were thrown under the bus by some.  Same principle. Those who claim they saw enough of these 2 guys in the first 2 years under duress to judge them as a bust may be wrong.  I know I'm not supposed to have an opinion on QB's but I thought it interesting that others feel when a QB gets hammered like that they need a chance to recover.

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

He's saying unlike Wentz Joe was thrust into the lineup before he was ready. He had no qb to mentor him til he was a junior. And like Hackenberg he was either running for his life or trying to throw from his ass.

exactly, but I'm also including Bartels.

16 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

I still think Joe could have been a great QB. He didn't have a whole lot of talent around him and the coaches sucked. Then the injuries. It is what it is and I hope he has a great senior season at TE.

He didn't have the strongest o line. He likely had the best group of WR at one time at UND. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, homer said:

He didn't have the strongest o line. He likely had the best group of WR at one time at UND. 

Hard to get the ball to WR when your on your ass or running for your life. He also had no running game to set up play action. Look at the difference in Hackenberg's career at Penn State.

• Upvote 3