SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

37 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

This certainly is good news if it is true.  I am not sure how the eligibility issue would work as Grady left school before taking his finals.  As 92,96 mentioned, he is (or was) enrolled at the local community college but I would doubt that would be sufficient for him to be eligible next fall.

He could take a redshirt year this year. I don't think he has used that up yet.

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He hasn't. To play all he needs to do is have passed I think 24 credits by the first game. 

But that would appear to be very difficult to accomplish.  If he didn't take his finals, I would guess he didn't receive many credits during his only semester at UND.  Getting 24 (or 18-20) credits at a community college in one semester would be a challenge.  I realize he could pick up a few this summer.

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

But that would appear to be very difficult to accomplish.  If he didn't take his finals, I would guess he didn't receive many credits during his only semester at UND.  Getting 24 (or 18-20) credits at a community college in one semester would be a challenge.  I realize he could pick up a few this summer.

Don't think the CC credits count for anything.  However, the caveat is he enrolled last summer for six credits, I believe.  That is huge.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Don't think the CC credits count for anything.  However, the caveat is he enrolled last summer for six credits, I believe.  That is huge.

He's a smart kid. They'll figure it out. One summer I took a social psych class in 6 days because there was an oversight with my transcript and they didn't let me know until a week before fall camp. I think he'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

If it is true that he wanted to focus on his family, that speaks volumes of his character.

Its also great news that he is coming back as he is a tremendous amount of talent that could open doors for him in the future if he avoids injury and improves as expected by getting stronger and more agile.

Good thing all the way around if true.

Great news if true . Grady is a serious talent. Speaking of Grady rumors I was told by a high school coach Bubba and staff were trying to get Elijah's twin brother Darryle to come to UND this fall. I didn't think it was true but maybe it was. Can anyone confirm?

I don't know what happened with Darryle at Mary but the coaches in the Mon-Dak game said he was the best player on that roster and unblockable all week in practice. They couldn't even double team him and Couldn't believe he wasn't going to UND or NDSU.

21 minutes ago, UNDfan2013 said:

I am conflicted on this news and initially disappointed with the coaching staff.  I understand 18-22 year old kids will not always make the best choices.  However I thought the coaches had this high principal and require their athletes to work hard, stay out of trouble and be fully committed to UND football.  That last part is what bothers me.  He quit the team, the reason why really doesn't matter when he appears to be welcomed back with open arms.  Other players have been busting their butts with workouts and lifting, doing their school work and are truly committed.  Is this the story of another athlete that gets special treatment?

I am going to wait to make my final judgment and see how this all plays out with the coaches actions.

You need to look into things a bit more.  "Quitting on the team" is leaving them during the season.  He waited out the semester and then went home at Christmas break.  

Plus, the reason why is more than enough reason to "quit on the team". 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, UNDfan2013 said:

I am conflicted on this news and initially disappointed with the coaching staff.  I understand 18-22 year old kids will not always make the best choices.  However I thought the coaches had this high principal and require their athletes to work hard, stay out of trouble and be fully committed to UND football.  That last part is what bothers me.  He quit the team, the reason why really doesn't matter when he appears to be welcomed back with open arms.  Other players have been busting their butts with workouts and lifting, doing their school work and are truly committed.  Is this the story of another athlete that gets special treatment?

I am going to wait to make my final judgment and see how this all plays out with the coaches actions.

He has to pass the same amount of credits as others to be eligible.  

He also won't be handed a spot when/if he returns.  

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You need to look into things a bit more.  "Quitting on the team" is leaving them during the season.  He waited out the semester and then went home at Christmas break.  

Plus, the reason why is more than enough reason to "quit on the team". 

I disagree.  Quitting does not only pertains to leaving during the season. He is no longer on the team or enrolled in the university.  Would it make you feel better if I said "left".  Bottom line is the same, he chose to leave the team and the school.  As I said, I'll watch to see how the coaches handle this. 

I have no unique insights or information on this subject. I just have my observations of people and their behaviors. 

First, I would be shocked to find out all of this happened in a vacuum. I want to believe Grady would go to the coaches and let them know what's going on in his life. 

If Grady went to Bubba with a situation as some have speculated/stated, what would Bubba say? What would Bubba recommend?

Not having a neural link directly to Bubba's mind I can only speculate (based on observations), but I'd guess Bubba'd say: finish out fall semester (don't waste that work), then be where you need to be for family and commitments you've made by your actions, but don't lose sight of your education (like community college). After you take care of those first things the situation can be re-evaluated.

Or, I could be all wrong. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UNDfan2013 said:

I disagree.  Quitting does not only pertains to leaving during the season. He is no longer on the team or enrolled in the university.  Would it make you feel better if I said "left".  Bottom line is the same, he chose to leave the team and the school.  As I said, I'll watch to see how the coaches handle this. 

I am a bit baffled by your last couple posts. Are you trying to compare him leaving the team to care for his young child and family to a player leaving for other reasons like lack of playing time or not liking the coaches? 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, UNDfan2013 said:

The staff isn't conflicted.  They are not worried about this situation lessening the standard for being committed to UND football.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNDfan2013 said:

Bottom line, family comes before UND football on the list of priorities. And I'm pretty sure that Bubba and the coaching staff would agree with that.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDfan2013 said:

I respect your current conflict; however, I believe you should gather a bit more information before proposing Grady "quit" on his teammates and coaches. Personally, I feel it is quite premature to state "the reason why [he quit] doesn't matter".  Yes, it is true that from a purely football perspective Grady has a ton of potential, but with that said, he's also a good kid from what I hear. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Milford torgerson said:

He will be the starting left tackle this fall.  Book it.

Is there a potential for eligibility issues? I don't know the rules, but since he completed a year of eligibility doesn't he have to show more than 1 semester's worth of credits? Do any of the rules around transferring come into play? Probably not since he didn't compete in any sports but with the NCAA who knows.