SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

I'm changing the subject.  

Thoughts on Portland St vs UNI?

UNI is probably the hottest team in FCS right now.  Most impressive team from yesterday I thought (although their opponent sucked). 

Portland St. has a chance to keep this season going.  I think UNI will be surprised with how athletic PSUs QB is.  

• Upvote 1

Its very simple, simple man.  Ndsu COULD NOT RUN on und. First half stats were bad other then Carson's arm.   All that talk of their great o line and a "big fluffy" team controls them. Controls them!!!! Carson was sacked numerous times or had to run for his life, not to mention no rb had more then 5 yards running.   There was a 40ish yard run that really inflated the final stats but that will happen.   I will repeat this, no team in fcs will be able to run on und.  Their extremely young secondary was getting better towards seasons end.   Still a work in progress but getting better.  

You have to be kidding about santiago!  Wow!!  Pound for pound the strongest guy on the team and his stiff arm sits LBs down.  

I mentioned I was impressed with your front.  That was early for und.  Once they plugged in true fresh Grady and did some shuffling, the line was fantastic.  

You are right. If there was a rematch, Santiago would run for 300 yards and NDSU would be lucky to keep their rushing yards in positive territory. And with Stick at QB, they wouldn't be able to complete a pass. I am composing my letter to the selection commitee right now thanking them for keping UND out of the playoffs. I am trying to think of a reason to tell the commitee to keep them out next year, but it may be tough with UND going 11-0 with 11 shutouts with that defense. 

• Upvote 1

Its very simple, simple man.  Ndsu COULD NOT RUN on und. First half stats were bad other then Carson's arm.   All that talk of their great o line and a "big fluffy" team controls them. Controls them!!!! Carson was sacked numerous times or had to run for his life, not to mention no rb had more then 5 yards running.   There was a 40ish yard run that really inflated the final stats but that will happen.   I will repeat this, no team in fcs will be able to run on und.  Their extremely young secondary was getting better towards seasons end.   Still a work in progress but getting better.  

You have to be kidding about santiago!  Wow!!  Pound for pound the strongest guy on the team and his stiff arm sits LBs down.  

I mentioned I was impressed with your front.  That was early for und.  Once they plugged in true fresh Grady and did some shuffling, the line was fantastic.  

I'm not understanding what you're trying to get at. I was impressed with UND's run defense, sure, but as others have said, UND was so intent on stopping the run and hanging their hat on that against NDSU that they couldn't stop the passing attack.

To say NDSU COULD NOT RUN isn't true either, they ran for over 100 yards. Frazier ran for over 80. And running stats don't get "inflated" due to long runs, those are part of the stats and typically how running backs get their yards. eg Adrian Peterson.

With all this "you should see UND play now" talk, it's hard for me to understand why some on here seem to think UND is the only team that progressed over the course of the season. NDSU is also an extremely young team and IMO is dramatically better on defense then they were early on.

Honest opinion, if UND and NDSU played again today, I believe NDSU would win by even more. NDSU left a lot of points on the field in September and I believe our offensive coaching staff's play calling has gelled with the player's abilities well in the second half of the season.

Edited by Bison06

UNI is probably the hottest team in FCS right now.  Most impressive team from yesterday I thought (although their opponent sucked). 

Portland St. has a chance to keep this season going.  I think UNI will be surprised with how athletic PSUs QB is.  

I agree about UNI.  I have them winning it all actually.  I don't see portland st being able to push uni around.  Uni is very disruptive on d and have loads of talent on offense but it seems like they can't string together complete games.  If they can, I like their chances.  With that being said, uni has done squat in the playoffs for all the talent that squad has or had over the years.  They're a very good regular season team and it usually stops there. I'm thinking uni 38-24 is this game 

I just went over our roster. I counted 31 players who were either a True Freshman, RS Freshman or a sophomore who received extensive playing time. Some were even starters.

It's very different to be a freshmen or sophomore in the rotation versus a freshman or sophomore who starts and has to hold down their spot the entire game.

NDSU had and still has way more "big game" experience than UND's young team did. My comment was based on the simple fact that UND was a way better team at the end of the 2015 season (3 game winning streak) versus the beginning of the season when they played NDSU.

UND started a true sophomore QB, a redshirt freshman WR, and a true freshman running back against NDSU. Also, UND had at least 4 true sophomores starting on defense. 

NDSU started a senior QB coming off a national championship winning season, as well as a 6th year WR and veteran offensive line. 

Without going through the entire starting lineup, the point is UND was starting a tremendous amount of youth whereas NDSU was a veteran football team with valuable big game experience; there's no arguing that.

So, to get back to the reason I even brought up youth and experience, UND's true freshman RB and true sophomore QB - among many other underclassmen - improved tremendously from Week 3 (when they played NDSU) to the last three weeks of the regular season, when they led a three game winning streak. They deserved to be in the playoffs based solely on their resume. Lastly, to think the UND team that played NDSU in week 3 was the same UND team at the end of the season is just foolish. Player development and coaching/teaching is a real thing, believe it or not NDSU fans. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

NDSU had and still has way more "big game" experience than UND's young team did. My comment was based on the simple fact that UND was a way better team at the end of the 2015 season (3 game winning streak) versus the beginning of the season when they played NDSU.

And that 3 game winning streak had nothing to do with the competition? UND is in a great spot. They play a power running game in a conference where teams have to gear their defenses against a spread offense. 

And that 3 game winning streak had nothing to do with the competition? UND is in a great spot. They play a power running game in a conference where teams have to gear their defenses against a spread offense. 

Yeah, UND should've dumped one of those last three wins ... :silly:

#QualityLosses

In the beginning of the season, UND beat Drake by just 3 points and a horrible UC Davis team by just 7. At the end of the season, they beat their last two opponents by an average of 4 touchdowns (27.5 point differential). UND was just playing better. Northern Colorado beat Portland State and finished the season 6-5; they weren't very good but they weren't horrible either. Cal Poly beat Montana the week right after Montana beat NDSU; plus, the Cal Poly game was on the road.

Point is, UND was playing very good football - in all three phases - to end the regular season. 

Let's go to the bottom line here:

The DI FCS seeding this year was done with the same script as DII circa 1997: Regionalized. And that is pathetic. 

They needed a northeastern team so UNH got the call (to lose at home to Colgate). They needed a midwestern, bus trip game, and to pacify the committee chair's league, so in goes EIU (to get eleventy-billion to two'd at UNI). 

There was enough in that strange (to the committee) place called "west" that someone would be left out. See: UND. 

• Upvote 3

You are right. If there was a rematch, Santiago would run for 300 yards and NDSU would be lucky to keep their rushing yards in positive territory. And with Stick at QB, they wouldn't be able to complete a pass. I am composing my letter to the selection commitee right now thanking them for keping UND out of the playoffs. I am trying to think of a reason to tell the commitee to keep them out next year, but it may be tough with UND going 11-0 with 11 shutouts with that defense. 

finally, some common sense from 

nd #1 sufan.

I think that will probably be the best game of the day next weekend.  PSU is solid, at home, had the bye week.  UNI has probably been the best team in the FCS over the last six weeks or so.  I think it is going to be low scoring and close, not unlike when we played the Vikings out there.

I think NDSU rolls over Montana in Fargo.

I think that will probably be the best game of the day next weekend.  PSU is solid, at home, had the bye week.  UNI has probably been the best team in the FCS over the last six weeks or so.  I think it is going to be low scoring and close, not unlike when we played the Vikings out there.

I think NDSU rolls over Montana in Fargo.

I don't think PSU is ready for this.  I don't necessarily mean UNI (although they are good and playing at PSU will not matter in the least).  I mean the playoff moment and everything that goes with it.

It's very different to be a freshmen or sophomore in the rotation versus a freshman or sophomore who starts and has to hold down their spot the entire game.

UND started a true sophomore QB, a redshirt freshman WR, and a true freshman running back against NDSU. Also, UND had at least 4 true sophomores starting on defense. 

NDSU started a senior QB coming off a national championship winning season, as well as a 6th year WR and veteran offensive line. 

Without going through the entire starting lineup, the point is UND was starting a tremendous amount of youth whereas NDSU was a veteran football team with valuable big game experience; there's no arguing that.

So, to get back to the reason I even brought up youth and experience, UND's true freshman RB and true sophomore QB - among many other underclassmen - improved tremendously from Week 3 (when they played NDSU) to the last three weeks of the regular season, when they led a three game winning streak. They deserved to be in the playoffs based solely on their resume. Lastly, to think the UND team that played NDSU in week 3 was the same UND team at the end of the season is just foolish. Player development and coaching/teaching is a real thing, believe it or not NDSU fans. 

I never said you werent a better team developement wise by the end of the year. If you havent gotten better you are in trouble. But lets not forget that NDSU got better as the year went along also.

I'm so sick of you. You're everywhere. I come here and your posts are all over my favorite thread. I wake up go to the bathroom take a dump and your piled up in my toilet. You're everywhere. 

I just got up from a nice Sunday afternoon nap,  this creates a very graphic image for me.  My response the immature, Bison fans on this site would be to eat s#%t and bark at the moon.  We still have the nickel and the SIOUX will be back after a 4 year rebuilding. Hope they don't shut this down after my comment! 

Edited by Mama Sue

I just got up from a nice Sunday afternoon nap,  this creates a very graphic image for me.  My response the immature, Bison fans on this site would be to eat s#%t and bark at the moon.  We still have the nickel and the SIOUX will be back after a 4 year rebuilding. Hope they don't shut this down after my comment! 

...and we have a nickel sighting...here we go.

I don't think PSU is ready for this.  I don't necessarily mean UNI (although they are good and playing at PSU will not matter in the least).  I mean the playoff moment and everything that goes with it.

UNI has a history of having a talented team in the playoffs, the kind that might win it all, and then losing to Lehigh or some other non skolly inferior team, often on their own field.  UNI looks hard to beat now but Portland will probably do it.

I have some cognitive dissonance going on here. I think we were a damn good team to end the year, I think we controlled Portland State and beat them when we weren't even that good. Portland State had already beaten wazzu, which is a good team, but I can't decide if they are actually as good as a 6 seed or just the top in the BSC? Is anyone else struggling to see them as dominant? Side note, for both the BSC and our own sake, I do hope they win the damn thing, I am just unsure of their potential.

Guys, can't we all just get along?  First off I agree that UND got screwed out of the playoffs especially with EIU beating nobody to get in.  However going back to the UND - NDSU topic, NDSU has far from a mediocre run game.  That's a fricken joke if you truly believe that.  You don't like NDSU fans on here making you mad saying stupid stuff so don't go say stupid stuff yourself.  NDSU has a better rushing game than UND so UND must be even less than mediocre huh?

seems illogical to offer an olive branch and then flip us off as we take it??

I like UNDs run game over NDSUs. I like UNDs rush defense over NDSUs. Other than that, the edge goes to NDSU, in every category other than punting.

• Upvote 2