SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

I just wanted to debunk a myth about the Valley vs the Fluffy. I hear all the time about the inflated stats theory as a reason that Big Fluff defenders put up such big stats. I checked out NDSU and UND. I compared their opponents TOP and plays per game then averaged plays/min. Surely UND defenders would be facing a pile more of plays/min with all of the run and shoot gimmick offenses in the Big Fluff. That is the only way DeLuca would have fewer tackles than Ratelle right?

UND opponents: 28 min possession/game:  25 plays/min

NDSU opponents: 24min possession/game: 27.5 plays/min

Interesting.... NDSU must have faced a lot of teams who were just trying to milk the clock with their ground and pound offenses.....

It's overrated. Lots of Bison folks remind me a bit of the SEC people. Is it the best conference? Yeah. But is it worthy of some weird culty-obsession? Nah. It's an FCS conference, not the NFL or anything.

I don't get too wrapped up in stat comparisons inter-conference. Intra-conference is at least useful.

• Upvote 2

It's overrated. Lots of Bison folks remind me a bit of the SEC people. Is it the best conference? Yeah. But is it worthy of some weird culty-obsession? Nah. It's an FCS conference, not the NFL or anything.

I don't get too wrapped up in stat comparisons inter-conference. Intra-conference is at least useful.

So,

I'm not allowed to subjectively prefer UND's run game and run d (loyalty comment), but its also not useful to compare statistics? Johnboy, what would you have us discuss?

Enlighten me, with my poor Class B educated mind.

• Upvote 1

We seem to have some knowledgeable fans on this site (I'm not being sarcastic).  Does anyone know if an FCS school/team can petition the NCAA to participate in a bowl game against a FBS school? I just found out today that teams with 5 wins and 7 loses can play in a bowl game at the FBS level. Missouri released a press statement saying they would not accept or seek a bowl bid after going 5-7 this year. NCAA anticipates 2-5 FBS teams with 5 wins will play in a bowl game this year.

The NCAA has signaled it will allow 5-7 FBS teams to go to bowls if they have high APRs.  Rice, Illinois, Nebraska, San Jose St, and Minnesota will likely get passes.  FCS teams don't have enough FBS wins and the thought of an FCS team playing in their bowls gives the bowl's the willys, as they don't want to be labeled minor league.

I just wanted to debunk a myth about the Valley vs the Fluffy. I hear all the time about the inflated stats theory as a reason that Big Fluff defenders put up such big stats. I checked out NDSU and UND. I compared their opponents TOP and plays per game then averaged plays/min. Surely UND defenders would be facing a pile more of plays/min with all of the run and shoot gimmick offenses in the Big Fluff. That is the only way DeLuca would have fewer tackles than Ratelle right?

UND opponents: 28 min possession/game:  25 plays/min

NDSU opponents: 24min possession/game: 27.5 plays/min

Interesting.... NDSU must have faced a lot of teams who were just trying to milk the clock with their ground and pound offenses.....

Did you get the decimal point in wrong position? Are those stats just from conference play or the entire season?

Interconference is the only way to compare if you actually understand the point that NDSU fans always try to make.

So,

I'm not allowed to subjectively prefer UND's run game and run d (loyalty comment), but its also not useful to compare statistics? Johnboy, what would you have us discuss?

Enlighten me, with my poor Class B UNeducated mind.

the fact that you can even read is a minor miracle in itself.

Comparing NDSU and UND's statistics against completely different competition will not really be overly valuable. Not much in the way of common opponents. 

Fortunately they played one another this year..  One team struggled to run the ball.. The other couldn't run at all.

Comparing NDSU and UND's statistics against completely different competition will not really be overly valuable. Not much in the way of common opponents. 

Fortunately they played one another this year..  One team struggled to run the ball.. The other couldn't run at all.

Serious question for you:

If UND and NDSU played again, do you see the numbers being the same or different? I honestly think our run D would play about the same. I also don't believe there is any way that NDSU holds UND to the same limited yardage. I'm not saying UND would rack up 300-400 yards, but there would be a substantial difference in those numbers if the two teams played again. 

Need to remember that Santiago and Oliveira were true freshman. That was Santiago's 3rd college game, and either Oliveira's first or second. They definitely grew a lot of the course of the season. The benefit for NDSU was, when UND was able to stuff the run, NDSU has the passing game to turn to. At that point in the season we did not (though another glaring area that we improved on by the end of the season).

So you still don't get it? NDSU fans say that Big Sky players have inflated stats from playing against Big Sky teams who run so many more plays than Valley teams do against other Valley teams. The only way to compare this is UND against their schedule and NDSU against their schedule. You know why? Because UND plays in the Big Sky and NDSU plays in the MVFC. If you don't get it than I'd suggest trying to breath through your nose for a change.

• Upvote 1

So you still don't get it? NDSU fans say that Big Sky players have inflated stats from playing against Big Sky teams who run so many more plays than Valley teams do against other Valley teams. The only way to compare this is UND against their schedule and NDSU against their schedule. You know why? Because UND plays in the Big Sky and NDSU plays in the MVFC. If you don't get it than I'd suggest trying to breath through your nose for a change.

i don't recall saying anything about inflated statistics. If you could show me that would be much appreciated. 

Edited by JohnboyND7

Serious question for you:

If UND and NDSU played again, do you see the numbers being the same or different? I honestly think our run D would play about the same. I also don't believe there is any way that NDSU holds UND to the same limited yardage. I'm not saying UND would rack up 300-400 yards, but there would be a substantial difference in those numbers if the two teams played again. 

Need to remember that Santiago and Oliveira were true freshman. That was Santiago's 3rd college game, and either Oliveira's first or second. They definitely grew a lot of the course of the season. The benefit for NDSU was, when UND was able to stuff the run, NDSU has the passing game to turn to. At that point in the season we did not (though another glaring area that we improved on by the end of the season).

If I can take a moment to comment on your question...

I think the numbers would be different.  UND would most likely run the ball more effectively, but if you feel like UND's defense would play "about the same" then I would expect NDSU's rushing numbers to be somewhat different as well, because it's rushing game has gotten better throughout the season.

IMHO, I would expect the numbers to be different for both teams, but not sure how different, then we are just speculating. 

Remember UND is not the only team with injuries and true freshman.

If I can take a moment to comment on your question...

I think the numbers would be different.  UND would most likely run the ball more effectively, but if you feel like UND's defense would play "about the same" then I would expect NDSU's rushing numbers to be somewhat different as well, because it's rushing game has gotten better throughout the season.

IMHO, I would expect the numbers to be different for both teams, but not sure how different, then we are just speculating. 

Remember UND is not the only team with injuries and true freshman.

Agreed on all point. I have watched a fair share of bison football this year, and NDSU's defense improved drastically from game 1. Which actually makes the rematch against MT all the more intriguing. Even in that game, there was some nice coverage by the Bison corners, but MT just had some excellent receivers.

Anyways, I think it is certainly a fair statement to say, both teams look quite different now, than they did 3 weeks into the season. This is where I really wish those rivalry games could be played annually, because this talk is so speculative unless we actually meet in the playoffs. Otherwise, it'll be two completely different teams playing again in 4 years.

Agreed on all point. I have watched a fair share of bison football this year, and NDSU's defense improved drastically from game 1. Which actually makes the rematch against MT all the more intriguing. Even in that game, there was some nice coverage by the Bison corners, but MT just had some excellent receivers.

Anyways, I think it is certainly a fair statement to say, both teams look quite different now, than they did 3 weeks into the season. This is where I really wish those rivalry games could be played annually, because this talk is so speculative unless we actually meet in the playoffs. Otherwise, it'll be two completely different teams playing again in 4 years.

I have a feeling the teams will see each other next year, unless the committee suddenly has a change of heart when it comes to regionalization

Edited by 2TRU4U

I have a feeling the teams will see each other next year, unless the committee suddenly has a change of heart when it comes to regionalization

Wil be interesting to see if NDSU will win that first round game though, be thing getting in the way of that potential matchup 

• Upvote 3

You do realize that hes not an NDSU fan dont you. Hes just trolling you.

Sure hope so, because I think it would be a blast to go tailgate that one, regardless of where it is. Really disappointed I couldn't be in Fargo for the game this year. Made it up for the NDSU/USD game and had a blast tailgating. Hope to make it back for some good tailgating again next year.