SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

Guys, can't we all just get along?  First off I agree that UND got screwed out of the playoffs especially with EIU beating nobody to get in.  However going back to the UND - NDSU topic, NDSU has far from a mediocre run game.  That's a fricken joke if you truly believe that.  You don't like NDSU fans on here making you mad saying stupid stuff so don't go say stupid stuff yourself.  NDSU has a better rushing game than UND so UND must be even less than mediocre huh?

Hard to say NDSU has a way better rushing game than UND when you look at the stats from the entire regular season. The thing is, NDSU has a better passing game, or at least they did with Wentz playing QB. That was the difference in the head-to-head matchup early in the season, when UND's passing game was still struggling some. UND improved their passing game as Studsrud became more comfortable and Clive Georges returned to the lineup. 

NDSU:

Average Per Game Rushing    244.0 
Average Per Game Passing    207.3

UND:

Average Per Game Rushing    240.5   
Average Per Game Passing     140.9 

seems illogical to offer an olive branch and then flip us off as we take it??
I like UNDs run game over NDSUs. I like UNDs rush defense over NDSUs. Other than that, the edge goes to NDSU, in every category other than punting.

question. 

If und is better at both running... And stopping the run... What happened when the two teams met head to head?

Guys, can't we all just get along?  First off I agree that UND got screwed out of the playoffs especially with EIU beating nobody to get in.  However going back to the UND - NDSU topic, NDSU has far from a mediocre run game.  That's a fricken joke if you truly believe that.  You don't like NDSU fans on here making you mad saying stupid stuff so don't go say stupid stuff yourself.  NDSU has a better rushing game than UND so UND must be even less than mediocre huh?

you really have a way with words.  Thanks for taking a break as lead negotiator for peace with ISIS to grace us with your unbiased, eloquent words of peaceful wizdumb.

question. 

If und is better at both running... And stopping the run... What happened when the two teams met head to head?

I understand where you are going with this, and it was very clear who dominated all areas of that game. I do think it would have been much different had the teams met again later in the year, or in the playoffs. Not saying UND would necessarily win, but I do think it would have been a much more entertaining game, give the growth of both teams in different areas.

Our run game was a surprise at the beginning of the year, but much stronger at the end of the year. Remember Santiago and Oliveira are true freshman, and that was their third game (Oliveira's second I think, maybe even first). I'm pretty sure that was also the last game where anyone controlled our run game. O line started to play better, and Santiago found a lot of confidence.

Absolutely clear who dominated the head to head match up, but you have to look beyond just one game to gauge an entire offense or defense.

question. 

Although I disagree with ClassB at this point in stating UND is better at running and stopping the run, I'd say UND's season and abilities should be judged on that game about as much as NDSU is judged on the USD game, maybe less.  UND went into an atmosphere they've never experienced anything close to and the offense choked, all there really is to it.

I like UNDs run game over NDSUs. I like UNDs rush defense over NDSUs. Other than that, the edge goes to NDSU, in every category other than punting.

Wow, both teams are doing well in punting. The most significant difference seems to be NDSU's touchback count isn't as good.

RANKTEAMGPUNT YDSOPP PUNT RET YDSPUNTSTBNET YDS
1McNeese St.1022358251341.04
2Northern Ariz.11244820753540.40
3North Dakota11226917651339.86
4North Dakota St.112215131481039.25
RANKNAMETEAMCLPOSITIONGPUNTSPUNT YDSAVG
1Ryan HawkinsNorthern Ariz.Sr.K1152240646.3
2Ben LeCompteNorth Dakota St.Sr.P1148221546.1
3Cory CarterTexas SouthernSr.P1045205845.7
4Chris FraserCornellJr.P1049220945.1
5Alex KnightSoutheast Mo. St.Jr.P1164286744.8
6Mitch MeindelNorth DakotaSo.P1151226944.5

As for UND's rushing defense.  Here's the NDSU game-by-game rushing stats:

Montana - 45/229 - 5.1 ypc (UND went 50/267 - 5.3 ypc, for comparison, with #2 qb)

Weber St - 52/305 - 5.9 ypc (UND went 48/250 - 5.2 ypc, for comparison, with #2 qb)

UND - 42/115 - 2.7 ypc (non-playoff, worst opponent of the D1 era, absolute garbage team)

SDSU - 46/202 - 4.4 ypc (playoff team, supposedly a really good mvfc defense)

UNI - 40/141 - 3.5 ypc (playoff team, supposedly a really good mvfc defense)

USD - 31/125 - 4.0 ypc

ISUb - 57/243 - 4.3 ypc

SIU - 48/397 - 8.3 ypc

WIU - 61/331 - 5.4 ypc (playoff team, supposedly a really good mvfc defense)

YSU - 42/184 - 4.4 ypc

MSU - 48/412 - 8.6 ypc

NDSU fans keep on spouting off about how NDSU let off the gas against UND and that's why it wasn't as big a blowout as the WIU game.  No, NDSU switched to running the football just like it did in every lopsided game and WIU simply couldn't stop the run even when they knew it was coming, that's why it was such a huge blowout. 

Edited by UNDBIZ
Added UND stats for common opponents
  • Upvote 1

You are right. If there was a rematch, Santiago would run for 300 yards and NDSU would be lucky to keep their rushing yards in positive territory. And with Stick at QB, they wouldn't be able to complete a pass. I am composing my letter to the selection commitee right now thanking them for keping UND out of the playoffs. I am trying to think of a reason to tell the commitee to keep them out next year, but it may be tough with UND going 11-0 with 11 shutouts with that defense. 

santiago had four carries.

Speaking of rushing prowess, the only FCS running back in North Dakota to make this list is from UND.  Hmmm?  Who could that be?  (caveat: This site needs better proofreaders as they have ISU RB Marshaun Coprich listed as coming from NIU -- Oh well.)

http://herosports.com/collegefootball/watch-top-5-running-backs-fcs/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Article&utm_campaign=FCSFootball#

As for UND's rushing defense.  Here's the NDSU game-by-game rushing stats:

Montana - 45/229 - 5.1 ypc

Weber St - 52/305 - 5.9 ypc

UND - 42/115 - 2.7 ypc (non-playoff, worst opponent of the D1 era, absolute garbage team)

SDSU - 46/202 - 4.4 ypc (playoff team, supposedly a really good mvfc defense)

UNI - 40/141 - 3.5 ypc (playoff team, supposedly a really good mvfc defense)

USD - 31/125 - 4.0 ypc

ISUb - 57/243 - 4.3 ypc

SIU - 48/397 - 8.3 ypc

WIU - 61/331 - 5.4 ypc (playoff team, supposedly a really good mvfc defense)

YSU - 42/184 - 4.4 ypc

MSU - 48/412 - 8.6 ypc

NDSU fans keep on spouting off about how NDSU let off the gas against UND and that's why it wasn't as big a blowout as the WIU game.  No, NDSU switched to running the football just like it did in every lopsided game and WIU simply couldn't stop the run even when they knew it was coming, that's why it was such a huge blowout. 

Dont bother , they always come back with, " und stacked the box"!  Of course und did, that is what und does, stack the box!  No one in fcs can run on und.   When the secondary gets a little more experience this d will be lights out!!!  Und loses one starting senior this and possibly only two starters on next years squad.  This defense and future are bright 

• Upvote 1

question. 

We pulled the redshirt on Elijah Grady and moved Meehan to RG. After that we were steam rolling teams on the ground and opening huge holes for our very special true freshman running backs.

• Upvote 2

SU > cheap shots. 

I never said they have a WAY BETTER run game.  I was making a point that NDSU has a dang good rush and to say it's mediocre is flat out pure stupidity and you should know better than to make such a stupid claim.  NDSU averages more per game than UND but they are mediocre lol, yeah ok.

I didn't make the comment that NDSU has a mediocre rushing game, although I'm not quite sure what that means? What's the cutoff from a mediocre running game to a good running game? Hard to say anything NDSU does is mediocre, although a clutch passing game with Mr.Stick at QB could be one area; will have to wait for a close playoff game to determine that. 

Nevertheless, you need to just settle down. If you don't like what UND fans are saying, don't listen/read it. This is a UND board. You can go to the NDSU board if you want to gloat about the great bison football team. 

• Upvote 4

We seem to have some knowledgeable fans on this site (I'm not being sarcastic).  Does anyone know if an FCS school/team can petition the NCAA to participate in a bowl game against a FBS school? I just found out today that teams with 5 wins and 7 loses can play in a bowl game at the FBS level. Missouri released a press statement saying they would not accept or seek a bowl bid after going 5-7 this year. NCAA anticipates 2-5 FBS teams with 5 wins will play in a bowl game this year.

still crying over that? Goodness 

Definitely it changed the course of the season. I am telling you that 9 days ago I would take Santiago behind our O-line over SU's, and our front 7 against the run over yours. Was wrong on the punting.

Definitely it changed the course of the season. I am telling you that 9 days ago I would take Santiago behind our O-line over SU's, and our front 7 against the run over yours. Was wrong on the punting.

Typically B-tards are loyal to a fault. You seem to be no exception.

• Downvote 5

Typically B-tards are loyal to a fault. You seem to be no exception.

I guess if my loyalty is what you choose to insult, I can't complain too much. 

Per yahoo stats, UND allowed 150 fewer rushing yards on the season than NDSU, but gained 39 fewer rushing yards than NDSU. 

• Upvote 1