SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

Coach Schweigert on the radio. Really feel for the guy. I have mostly stayed out of the discussion regarding the playoffs. I don't watch enough FCS football to say for certain who should or should not be in.

A.) 24 is too many. If you are taking a 6-5 team, At-Large, that's embarrassing for everyone. They should honestly go back to 16 or 20. 

B.) I only watched about 7 quarters of UND football this year (a bit of Drake, half of NDSU, and I went to Idaho St). So I literally saw pretty much the worst of the worst UND had to offer this season. 

C.) I don't like how many teams are in the Big Sky. It's very difficult to tell who is good and who is not. 

D.) From reading in a few different forums, looks like you guys got jobbed but as some others have said, win those "easy" games and take it out if the committees hands.

Coach Schweigert on the radio. Really feel for the guy. I have mostly stayed out of the discussion regarding the playoffs. I don't watch enough FCS football to say for certain who should or should not be in.

A.) 24 is too many. If you are taking a 6-5 team, At-Large, that's embarrassing for everyone. They should honestly go back to 16 or 20. 

B.) I only watched about 7 quarters of UND football this year (a bit of Drake, half of NDSU, and I went to Idaho St). So I literally saw pretty much the worst of the worst UND had to offer this season. 

C.) I don't like how many teams are in the Big Sky. It's very difficult to tell who is good and who is not. 

D.) From reading in a few different forums, looks like you guys got jobbed but as some others have said, win those "easy" games and take it out if the committees hands.

Having 24 team, guarantees you get the top 16 teams into the tournament since there are several autobids for weak conferences.  Now the question to answer is 16 too many teams?  If you lower it to 16 overall, you'll only end up with the top 10 teams in the country.

• Upvote 1

Couple things:  I think 24 teams is just right, but the committee didn't get the best teams in the field.  I think by seeding all 24 teams, there is no worry of regionalization, or loading one side of the bracket with 6 of the top 8 teams.

• Upvote 1

Couple things:  I think 24 teams is just right, but the committee didn't get the best teams in the field.  I think by seeding all 24 teams, there is no worry of regionalization, or loading one side of the bracket with 6 of the top 8 teams.

With first round bye's its a perfect set up right now.

I think 24 is ok right now too.  It gives more teams a chance to make the playoffs and makes for a lot of interesting games down the stretch.   I'm hoping by next year already we are not one the bubble teams and it wouldn't have mattered if it was 16 or 24, but even so I'm ok with the 24 and the first round bye.  And totally agree with everybody else that the regionalization of bracketing like they did this year is crap.   Let's hope they get enough heat for this fiasco they caused this year so that some changes are made, but I doubt it.

C.) The following will help.  Big Sky should have an east and west.  Play all the teams on your side and a game or two with the other side.  Then, for the last week of the FCS regular season, east vs. west get seeded and play each other!! 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, and so on. (Need an even number teams obviously). This would be revolutionary for FCS.  Too crazy??

And UND with their 61 total yards was competive against NDSU? You are dumb and dumber and dumbest if you think the Fighting Hawks were competive against NDSU. 

I didn't say UND was competitive in the game because it was a terrible game for UND but NDSU still didn't hang 59 points on us. 

This year there are 80 bowl openings.  70 teams have qualified, but with two or one games to go, maybe up to five slots will not be filled.  The less prestigious bowls, like the Idaho Potato Bowl may be begging for teams.  The NCAA will have to step in to give waivers to five win FBS teams with losing records or winning FCS teams that didn't make the playoffs.  Should Faison put a waiver request in?

A Bowl that doesn't have teams playing in it would have serious legal repercussions for the bowl and the NCAA.  Something needs to be done.

The NCAA only authorizes Bowl games, but does not participate financially.

If a bowl opening happens for an FCS team, it would probably match FCS teams, because FBS teams would not want to be part of it.

For UND, could see something like EWU vs UND is the Boise Idaho Famous Potato Bowl.

The picture should becone much clearer after this weekend.

I would have really struggled with this notion, except one of the Herald guys Tweeted on this notion just a while ago. If they are willing to put it out there it has more to it than I  took it for.

So, who should we be cheering for and against this weekend?

C.) The following will help.  Big Sky should have an east and west.  Play all the teams on your side and a game or two with the other side.  Then, for the last week of the FCS regular season, east vs. west get seeded and play each other!! 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, and so on. (Need an even number teams obviously). This would be revolutionary for FCS.  Too crazy??

There should be a split conference. Who would be in East? UND, Mont, MSU, UNC, ISU, NAU/WSU? I would think Mont, MSU, UND, UNC would be obvious, the rest just start to get so close to each other. Need another East(Midwest) Big Sky Team possibly, but have no idea who could fill that role. 

Bowl possibility would be unreal. The '#QualityLosses' hashtag makes me think hes being snarky. I think we need a Northeast and a South division.

Northeast - UND, MSU, UM, EWU, PSU, ISU

South - SAC STATE, UC DAVIS, CAL POLY, NAU, SUU, WEBER, UNC

Obviously i'm a fan of this split because the strength of schedule talks would be unreal in the northeast.

http://www.wday.com/radio/3889149-970-wday-dizzos-den-demand-jeff-kolpack-bubba-schweigert

Bubba is a class act. I am convinced that he is taking this program in the right direction. Take a listen, it's worth your time. (segment 2)

Not disputing that Bubba is a class act at all - however, he and his staff presided over two of the biggest second half collapses I have ever seen at home.  No doubt we got hosed, but in many respects we did it to ourselves.   

• Upvote 1

Not disputing that Bubba is a class act at all - however, he and his staff presided over two of the biggest second half collapses I have ever seen at home.  No doubt we got hosed, but in many respects we did it to ourselves.   

The program is going in the right direction. In a couple of years, no one will remember those "second half collapses".

If that is the case, where did this "7 FCS wins" criteria come from? It gets thrown around like it's an actual rule.

I believe that the criteria was always been 6.  But, no one had made the playoffs with less than 7 wins up until 2013 when SHSU got into the playoffs with 6 win against FCS counters.  But, they played two games against transitional schools.  The selection committee looked past the previous precedence

of 7 wins only and surprised everyone giving them a bid.  SHSU seems to slide bye with a lot of questionable records.  Here are the links (note I think this is the only time up to WIU this year.):

Paragraph from the last game of the season.

Central Arkansas ended Sam Houston’s hopes for a third consecutive FCS playoff berth with a 49-31 defeat at Estes Stadium in Conway.

With the result, last year’s Southland co-champions end this season tied for third in the league race with identical 4-3 conference records. Sam Houston finishes 8-4 for the season while UCA upped its overall record to 7-5.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209322626

Kats thankful for playoff opportunity

Hosting Southern Utah on Saturday in the opening round is something that could have just as easily not happened for the Kats, after losing three Southland Conference games, which included back-to-back losses against Southeastern Louisiana and Central Arkansas to end the season.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209324857

I would have really struggled with this notion, except one of the Herald guys Tweeted on this notion just a while ago. If they are willing to put it out there it has more to it than I  took it for.

So, who should we be cheering for and against this weekend?

CSNBBS has a thread where it lists 75 teams that will likely qualify, maybe 77 if breaks go a certain way.  That means up to five bowl spots could be open.  UND might try to sneak in the Idaho Potato Bowl or Heart of Texas bowls, as those have a more difficult time filling slots with teams.  The Sun Belt will likely only qualify 3 teams, but they have four bowl spots. It would be a boost to our program if nothing else and give us two more weeks of practice.  Granted it would cost us sending the band and cheer team, but it would be good publicity.  An FCS team hasn't gone to a bowl since FBS split off.

Texas will probably miss six wins to be eligible, but their fans won't want to go bowling even if they get a waiver.  

The Camellia Bowl in Montgomery, a first year bowl in Orlando may also have trouble filling slots.

Edited by SiouxVolley