SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

I am not trying to throw conspiracys out there but this does not add up.

No you are not, I AM, because you are right, this does NOT add up. If the minimum standard is 7 FCS wins, why would a 6 FCS win team ever think they would be picked? That makes ZERO sense. If they were just watching to see how their conference did, that would be a possible explanation. But even that is a stretch.

• Upvote 1

Little tidbit from yesterday: Western Illinois had a "watch party" at 6-5. You telling us things weren't going on behind scenes?

From SFI ^

Craig Haley from STATS FCS had them in his final bracket the night before as well. I believe he had 23 out of 24 correct, putting Towson in instead of New Hampshire (both of which are head-scratchers). I think that was the only projected bracket I saw that had WIU in it, though as other have stated, WIU is only one of the teams that got in that raises some questions.

No you are not, I AM, because you are right, this does NOT add up. If the minimum standard is 7 FCS wins, why would a 6 FCS win team ever think they would be picked? That makes ZERO sense. If they were just watching to see how their conference did, that would be a possible explanation. But even that is a stretch.

I believe the criteria for selecting playoff teams states the threshold to be considered is 6 DI wins.  The unwritten rule is 7 DI wins as a 6 DI team has never made it since the playoffs were expanded to 24 teams.  As others have said, I am more baffled by EIU, SHSU, and UNH, although we probably should've been in before WIU as well.  

All 5 MVFC teams were on one side because SDSU !@#$ the bed and lost their seed. After that, it all becomes regionalization. That is written into the selection committees criteria, but keep crying that it is a conspiracy (note that I'm not agreeing with it, strictly pointing out that it is laid out for all to see). Before the selection show, the complaint was that McNeese was a mirage but would get seeded above NDSU. The committee gave the MVFC fans exactly what they wanted, ISU and NDSU were the next best teams behind JSU. Not hard to work backwards from there and see how the bracket ended up the way it does when regionalization is written into the criteria of how the brackets are set. 

As for the toughest conference thing, Sagarin has the Big Sky as the #2 conference. Here's how the top 5 conferences, in Sagarin's order of "toughness" fared.

1. MVFC - 5 of 10 (50% of the conference) made the field. Had 5 eligible teams (100% success rate)
2. Big Sky - 3 of 13 (23% of the conference) made the field. Had 7 eligible teams (43% success rate)
3. Southern - 2 of 8 (25% of the conference) made the field. Had 3 eligible teams (67% success rate)
4. CAA - 4 of 12 (33% of the conference) made the field. Had 6 eligible teams (67% success rate)
5. OVC - 2 of 9 (22% of the conference) made the field. Had 4 eligible teams (50% success rate)

The 2nd hardest conference had the least success. Since its all about conference strength, I'd love to hear your explanation.

If you are going to use Sagarin rankings, including the numerical value for each conference might have some value. The gap between FCS #1 & #2 is significantly bigger than between FCS #2 & #5.

1	BIG 12              	79.40
 2	SEC                 	77.67
 3	PAC-12              	75.99
 4	BIG TEN             	75.52
 5	ACC                 	75.37
 6	I-A INDEPENDENTS    	72.87
 7	AMERICAN ATHLETIC   	67.71
 8	MWC                 	61.51
 9	MAC                 	59.80
10	MISSOURI VALLEY     	58.54
11	CONFERENCE USA      	55.19
12	SUN BELT            	54.48
13	BIG SKY             	48.42
14	SOUTHERN            	46.67
15	COLONIAL            	46.51
16	OHIO VALLEY         	44.90
17	IVY LEAGUE          	44.44
18	BIG SOUTH           	42.19
19	SOUTHLAND           	41.04
20	PATRIOT             	35.55
21	NORTHEAST           	34.32
22	MID-EASTERN         	32.51
23	SWAC                	26.85
24	PIONEER             	24.99

• Upvote 1

For the last time, read the original post I responded to. You guys are ridiculous.

The original poster stated you guys have a case for being in over WIU because your win over PSU trumped WIU's win over SDSU, I disagreed and provided reasons.

I believe UND got screwed, I have made that clear from the outset. What I don't agree with is PSU is a better win than SDSU. That's it.

I will bet a paycheck that SDSU did not put forth full effort to win that game against WIU. But, I am curious how you come to the conclusion that beating a ranked team on the road, that ended up only losing two games all year (reminder:  1 of those loses came at the hands of UND) is not better than WIU beating NDSU, who was safely in the playoffs and nothing to lose in the last game of the regular season? Please explain what makes beating NDSU more valuable than beating PSU.

If you are going to use Sagarin rankings, including the numerical value for each conference might have some value. The gap between FCS #1 & #2 is significantly bigger than between FCS #2 & #5.

1	BIG 12              	79.40
 2	SEC                 	77.67
 3	PAC-12              	75.99
 4	BIG TEN             	75.52
 5	ACC                 	75.37
 6	I-A INDEPENDENTS    	72.87
 7	AMERICAN ATHLETIC   	67.71
 8	MWC                 	61.51
 9	MAC                 	59.80
10	MISSOURI VALLEY     	58.54
11	CONFERENCE USA      	55.19
12	SUN BELT            	54.48
13	BIG SKY             	48.42
14	SOUTHERN            	46.67
15	COLONIAL            	46.51
16	OHIO VALLEY         	44.90
17	IVY LEAGUE          	44.44
18	BIG SOUTH           	42.19
19	SOUTHLAND           	41.04
20	PATRIOT             	35.55
21	NORTHEAST           	34.32
22	MID-EASTERN         	32.51
23	SWAC                	26.85
24	PIONEER             	24.99

The whole selection pretty followed Sagarin to a tee, except this pesky detail:

147. North Dakota

156. New Hampshire

Was looking for something, anything to explain this, and thought I'd found it.  Then saw the above.  

I will bet a paycheck that SDSU did not put forth full effort to win that game against WIU. But, I am curious how you come to the conclusion that beating a ranked team on the road, that ended up only losing two games all year (reminder:  1 of those loses came at the hands of UND) is not better than WIU beating NDSU, who was safely in the playoffs and nothing to lose in the last game of the regular season? Please explain what makes beating NDSU more valuable than beating PSU.

Seriously? Are you crazy? SDSU wins they get a top 8 seed. They lose they go to Montana. Can you really be that dumb? And early you said we lost to avoid UND? Are you 12?  SDSU sat in an airport from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday. Arrived in Peoria close to 11 p.m. and on Saturday morning got on a bus at 8 a.m. only to sit behind an accident and not arrive in Wacomb till 1 p.m. SDSU wanted to delay the start to 4 p.m., WIU fought it and got their way; the game started at 2:45 pm. SDSU looked flat the entire game. We could not sustain any energy. It had nothing to do with UND or WIU. The winter storm absolutely slaughtered us and WIU refusing to hold off the start to a reasonable 4 pm. hurt, bad. 

SDSU will beat UM, in Missoula. We don't really have a big problem curb stomping BSC schools (see SUU, MSU, UNA). Yes, we allowed UM to come back in our FIRST playoff game against UM in 2009. That was 2009, our first time in they playoffs against a very talented UM team. We are a very different program, so are they. Yes, WIU beating us was bigger than UND beating PSU. Remember, PSU also lost to that powerhouse UNC.

That said, UND should have been in prior to WIU or EIU. I don't really understand the WIU thing. They seemed to have foreknowledge that they were in. EIU got in because the chair of the committee is from Tennessee Tech, an OVC school. It is the same reason the MVFC were put into the same bracket. FCS is becoming D2. I mentioned it on AGS and I'll say it here, this is the beginning of the end of the Dakota schools being in FCS. It is the NCC and D2 all over again.

• Upvote 3

Seriously? Are you crazy? SDSU wins they get a top 8 seed. They lose they go to Montana. Can you really be that dumb? And early you said we lost to avoid UND? Are you 12?  SDSU sat in an airport from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday. Arrived in Peoria close to 11 p.m. and on Saturday morning got on a bus at 8 a.m. only to sit behind an accident and not arrive in Wacomb till 1 p.m. SDSU wanted to delay the start to 4 p.m., WIU fought it and got their way; the game started at 2:45 pm. SDSU looked flat the entire game. We could not sustain any energy. It had nothing to do with UND or WIU. The winter storm absolutely slaughtered us and WIU refusing to hold off the start to a reasonable 4 pm. hurt, bad. 

SDSU will beat UM, in Missoula. We don't really have a big problem curb stomping BSC schools (see SUU, MSU, UNA). Yes, we allowed UM to come back in our FIRST playoff game against UM in 2009. That was 2009, our first time in they playoffs against a very talented UM team. We are a very different program, so are they. Yes, WIU beating us was bigger than UND beating PSU. Remember, PSU also lost to that powerhouse UNC.

That said, UND should have been in prior to WIU or EIU. I don't really understand the WIU thing. They seemed to have foreknowledge that they were in. EIU got in because the chair of the committee is from Tennessee Tech, an OVC school. It is the same reason the MVFC were put into the same bracket. FCS is becoming D2. I mentioned it on AGS and I'll say it here, this is the beginning of the end of the Dakota schools being in FCS. It is the NCC and D2 all over again.

EWU.  How did those games go?

Anyone catch when the guy said Bohl had to leave the Missouri Vally in order for UND to beat him?  I laughed as he has never beat UND.

I caught that as well.  That guy was clueless on multiple levels, and clearly didn't know that UND never played Bohl while NDSU was in the MVFC, and that Bohl has never beaten UND.  He made it sound like NDSU was beating UND every year during the Bohl era.  Pretty stunning ignorance from someone supposedly knowledgeable enough about FCS football to get a spot on ESPN's telecast.  

You say SDSU had everything to play for against WIU (top 8 seed and a bye) then they lose to WIU who had only won 5 games going into Saturday. Then you follow that up by saying they will in effect curb stomp a BSC team (Montana)? Sounds like you've been curb stomped one too many times with that logic. Now, SDSU may beat Montana, which I could care less if they do or not. But, you try to prop up beating SDSU as some great accomplishment by WIU, but then they are suppose to own Montana in the playoffs in Montana.

BTW...UND got to Ogden, Utah and to their hotel at around 2:00 am, and had a lead, which we blew in the 4th qtr, to Weber State.  We own that one. So don't come making travel excuses for why SDSU lost.

Not sure when it will be podcast but Patty V was on McFeely this morning (970 am) and she mentioned as soon as Western Illinois beat SDSU she knew they were in.