SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

Seriously? Are you crazy? SDSU wins they get a top 8 seed. They lose they go to Montana. Can you really be that dumb? And early you said we lost to avoid UND? Are you 12?  SDSU sat in an airport from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday. Arrived in Peoria close to 11 p.m. and on Saturday morning got on a bus at 8 a.m. only to sit behind an accident and not arrive in Wacomb till 1 p.m. SDSU wanted to delay the start to 4 p.m., WIU fought it and got their way; the game started at 2:45 pm. SDSU looked flat the entire game. We could not sustain any energy. It had nothing to do with UND or WIU. The winter storm absolutely slaughtered us and WIU refusing to hold off the start to a reasonable 4 pm. hurt, bad. 

SDSU will beat UM, in Missoula. We don't really have a big problem curb stomping BSC schools (see SUU, MSU, UNA). Yes, we allowed UM to come back in our FIRST playoff game against UM in 2009. That was 2009, our first time in they playoffs against a very talented UM team. We are a very different program, so are they. Yes, WIU beating us was bigger than UND beating PSU. Remember, PSU also lost to that powerhouse UNC.

That said, UND should have been in prior to WIU or EIU. I don't really understand the WIU thing. They seemed to have foreknowledge that they were in. EIU got in because the chair of the committee is from Tennessee Tech, an OVC school. It is the same reason the MVFC were put into the same bracket. FCS is becoming D2. I mentioned it on AGS and I'll say it here, this is the beginning of the end of the Dakota schools being in FCS. It is the NCC and D2 all over again.

What seed is SDSU?  I think I need a reminder.

Seriously? Are you crazy? SDSU wins they get a top 8 seed. They lose they go to Montana. Can you really be that dumb? And early you said we lost to avoid UND? Are you 12?  SDSU sat in an airport from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday. Arrived in Peoria close to 11 p.m. and on Saturday morning got on a bus at 8 a.m. only to sit behind an accident and not arrive in Wacomb till 1 p.m. SDSU wanted to delay the start to 4 p.m., WIU fought it and got their way; the game started at 2:45 pm. SDSU looked flat the entire game. We could not sustain any energy. It had nothing to do with UND or WIU. The winter storm absolutely slaughtered us and WIU refusing to hold off the start to a reasonable 4 pm. hurt, bad. 

SDSU will beat UM, in Missoula. We don't really have a big problem curb stomping BSC schools (see SUU, MSU, UNA). Yes, we allowed UM to come back in our FIRST playoff game against UM in 2009. That was 2009, our first time in they playoffs against a very talented UM team. We are a very different program, so are they. Yes, WIU beating us was bigger than UND beating PSU. Remember, PSU also lost to that powerhouse UNC.

That said, UND should have been in prior to WIU or EIU. I don't really understand the WIU thing. They seemed to have foreknowledge that they were in. EIU got in because the chair of the committee is from Tennessee Tech, an OVC school. It is the same reason the MVFC were put into the same bracket. FCS is becoming D2. I mentioned it on AGS and I'll say it here, this is the beginning of the end of the Dakota schools being in FCS. It is the NCC and D2 all over again.

Curb stomp?  Really? Lose to a 5 win team and you think SDSU is capable of curb stomping Montana or any BSC team. UNC won 6 games this year, same as WIU.  So your argument about PSU losing to UNC is moot. FYI...UND got to bed at 2:30 am when they traveled to Weber State and lost by one.

This year there are 80 bowl openings.  70 teams have qualified, but with two or one games to go, maybe up to five slots will not be filled.  The less prestigious bowls, like the Idaho Potato Bowl may be begging for teams.  The NCAA will have to step in to give waivers to five win FBS teams with losing records or winning FCS teams that didn't make the playoffs.  Should Faison put a waiver request in?

A Bowl that doesn't have teams playing in it would have serious legal repercussions for the bowl and the NCAA.  Something needs to be done.

Edited by SiouxVolley

This year there are 80 bowl openings.  70 teams have qualified, but with two or one games to go, maybe up to five slots will not be filled.  The less prestigious bowls, like the Idaho Potato Bowl may be begging for teams.  The NCAA will have to step in to give waivers to five win FBS teams with losing records or winning FCS teams that didn't make the playoffs.  Should Faison put a waiver request in?

YES!!!

Edited by DamStrait

A Bowl that doesn't have teams playing in it would have serious legal repercussions for the bowl and the NCAA.  Something needs to be done.

Get that money.

get-paid-to.gif

Are FCS teams eligible? The only thing I can find about FCS teams being eligible is if teams who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process, if they have at least a 6-6 record.

Are FCS teams eligible? The only thing I can find about FCS teams being eligible is if teams who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process, if they have at least a 6-6 record.

That applies to Ga So and App St.   NDSU talked about getting to a bowl when they were in transition and couldn't go to the FCS playoffs when Walker was their QB.  They were technically still a DII team.  I believe there were enough teams to qualify that year, but now there are maybe 12 more slots.  The growth of FBS has not kept pace with the bowl growth.

Almost every team would prefer a bowl because it allows almost two more weeks of practice.

FCS teams would  need a waiver for an FBS bowl game.  The Celebration Bowl is between the MEAC and SWAC  champions, which is the only approved FCS bowl.

Any bowls short a team will be in contact with the teams they want to get a waiver.

Edited by SiouxVolley

I will bet a paycheck that SDSU did not put forth full effort to win that game against WIU. But, I am curious how you come to the conclusion that beating a ranked team on the road, that ended up only losing two games all year (reminder:  1 of those loses came at the hands of UND) is not better than WIU beating NDSU, who was safely in the playoffs and nothing to lose in the last game of the regular season? Please explain what makes beating NDSU more valuable than beating PSU.

If you're joking then that's kind of funny. If you're serious then that's freaking hilarious.

Nope.  If they want to fill their bowl game, we're not taking a financial loss.  NC$$ can cover it.

The NCAA only authorizes Bowl games, but does not participate financially.

If a bowl opening happens for an FCS team, it would probably match FCS teams, because FBS teams would not want to be part of it.

For UND, could see something like EWU vs UND is the Boise Idaho Famous Potato Bowl.

The picture should becone much clearer after this weekend.

The NCAA only authorizes Bowl games, but does not participate financially.

If a bowl opening happens for an FCS team, it would probably match FCS teams, because FBS teams would not want to be part of it.

For UND, could see something like EWU vs UND is the Boise Idaho Famous Potato Bowl.

The picture should becone much clearer after this weekend.

Let's play WIU in a bowl

I don't EVER want to hear about "7 wins" as a minimum requirement for the playoffs EVER again. That idea was flushed down the toilet yesterday at 10am CT.

I think a 6 win SHSU made it a couple of years ago.  When the Southland lost a bunch of teams and they had a couple of transitional schools.

One quick note to the Jacks fans obviously lurking:

Montana beat NDSU this year and NDSU curb stomped SDSU and you guys think you are going to curb stomp Montana on the road - got it!!  

PS - in all seriousness good luck in the playoffs - SDSU had a good season and deserves to be in the playoffs.  I would be a little pissed about WIU getting a pass into the second round playing Dayton.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious how that changes anything I stated?

It doesn't change your statement - it just added some info. It seems to me that given the variance of actual values, using a conference's unweighted position on the Sagarin list doesn't seem to be a fair way to pick playoff teams. If you continue to follow that as a guide, who would you remove from the playoffs and who would you add?

Had Bubba known earlier what the committees criteria was, he would of made sure to lose to wyoming and port st and beat idaho st and weber!  No great wins but great loses!  Damn it!!  Would of been nice to have known that before the games.   #quality losses

fyi2016 team, a little heads up, make sure to pull the starters for the bowling green game.  DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WIN!!!

• Upvote 1

I was shocked and angry yesterday.  Today, I'm even angrier.  Could someone post (or repost - I just can't find it) which 10 teams are the automatic qualifiers?  It is 10, right?  The other 14 are "at-large"?  I know there's a lot of talk about Western and the 6/7 wins.  The one I don't get is Eastern. Is is a conference/regional thing?  I guess I was dumb enough to think that the top 14 teams that weren't automatic would be in?!