SiouxSports.com Forum

We can make this Roughriders vrs. Fighting Hawks

NDinCO

How many actual people was that between the two polls. My guess was 200 people at most changed their mind. Was it more than that?

If your hypothesis is that the only people who changed their mind to Nodaks were people who also voted on this forum, it can't be proven either way but doesn't seem particularly likely to me.

But, I don't think the swing was nearly as pronounced in the general public (which was less exposed to the social media push for it than the average forum reader), which is why Nodaks polled much better here than in the real vote.

No, they can campaign for whatever they want. But I did think it was a little disturbing at how many people jumped on the Nodaks bandwagon after Berry and the team said what they said. It smacked of a herd mentality. I really hope everyone who can vote does so after doing their homework and reaching their own conclusion, not because someone else says so.

I think you can and should lobby for RR, or whatever name you like best.  I for one have no objection to that, even though I didn't vote for RR.

It did bother me a little when we who voted for Nodaks were attacked/criticized, etc..., for our perceived motives or reasons for voting for that name.  That I don't think is right.  It is everyone's free choice.

No that isn't my point at all. This is all I am trying to say. I don't think Berry and the boys swayed as many votes as people think.  If the hockey team did sway 30% more Nodaks votes from the July poll. How many votes was that.

Edited by iluvdebbies

If other people think less of our school because our sports teams are called nodaks or Roughrider or Hawks, that is there prerogative. I don't think less of Missouri cause their school has a lame Tigers name or less of Delaware cause they have a weird blue hen name. Anyone who does is small minded and really shouldn't effect our choice. 

I think it's important to look at this from a business prospective. UND is a big business. It is a major employer and revenue generator for ND. Consequently this is an important marketing, advertising and PR decision.

If someone from Missouri likes, hates or cares less for our name - fine, but every institution, business, etc. worth a damn cares deeply about their brand and the image it projects. Millions of $$$ are spent each year on logo designs for good reason.

I would go on about why I think RR is best for this, but were all just repeating ourselves now...  

• Upvote 2

Well Nodaks means all North Dakotans...even those that go to other universities in the state.  So how is that unique to UND again?? 

Well und is the flag ship for North Dakota and I don't believe any other sports team goes by Nodak, so it seems very unique. 

Specific to UND/northDakota and unique as a school name. Hits the boxes for me personally. Roughriders is a good north Dakota name but I don't believe it's all that unique so I prefer Nodak over it. 

Well und is the flag ship for North Dakota and I don't believe any other sports team goes by Nodak, so it seems very unique. 

Specific to UND/northDakota and unique as a school name. Hits the boxes for me personally. Roughriders is a good north Dakota name but I don't believe it's all that unique so I prefer Nodak over it. 

Personally, I prefer Nodaks over Fighting Hawks with Rough Riders being my first choice.  Rough riders is also unique if you are looking at other NCAA schools.  I just hope that Kelley and the UND Administration come to their senses and either eliminates Nodaks, or adds another round of voting.  I don't see the new nickname, regardless of what is chosen, having much chance to be accepted without a "majority" of those that choose to vote.

I want to be able to support my reasoning in the future, which is why I vote Nodaks.

What was the sioux?

1. Epic

2. Unique

3. Traditional

I'm going to assume we want something that matches these criteria. I'm going to cross epic off the list because, lets be real, we're not going to match the sioux. So we have unique and traditional. Which names are unique and/or traditional? Nodaks or roughriders (kind of).

Roughriders:

we have one in the city of grand forks, albeit high school. two of our best football alum in recent years have played football for the roughriders, of the CFL, saskatchewan. Yes they are green, yes they are a northern-based football team. That brand is taken. Red River highschool and the Sas Roughriders are a legitimate part of the conversation because part of the focus of being D1 is getting in state support -- by bringing in locals as walk-ons or scholarship athletes when possible. I doubt people of the state will like playing second fiddle to Canada (in anything), or to a high school in Grand Forks. In addition, Teddy Roosevelt was not from North Dakota. It is rather petty in my mind, that people from North Dakota reach like that for popularity: "but but but a president liked our state, we should take pride in him and his followers." Please.

Nodaks:

Not my top choice originally. but we used to be known as the Nodaks, and it is unique. IN addition, we get to make the mascot whatever we want. Which is possibly where we start talking about Epic again. It's the closest thing to North Dakota, and that was my top choice.

Hawks:

The logo that will not be picked is the indian feather looking hawk. thats a cool logo. It is not unique or traditional. It won't be picked by the University. In addition, this is popular among students, who for the most part don't attend football or volleyball or basketball games. (we shouldn't let the students make the decision). This is a middle school traveling team mascot--and a great one. but I don't go to middle school traveling games, I go to D1 college games. In addition, there are 46 other institutions in the nation that call themselves some version of 'hawks.'

to those not voting, I hate that I get to be a part of the process, but you have a duty to help make the best decision. The (relatively) few who participate on this message board are no doubt the most passionate followers of athletics here. Whatever you vote for, At least vote. Lastly, lets all just PTL that Sundogs is out.

• Upvote 1

I think it's important to look at this from a business prospective. UND is a big business. It is a major employer and revenue generator for ND. Consequently this is an important marketing, advertising and PR decision.

If someone from Missouri likes, hates or cares less for our name - fine, but every institution, business, etc. worth a damn cares deeply about their brand and the image it projects. Millions of $$$ are spent each year on logo designs for good reason.

I would go on about why I think RR is best for this, but were all just repeating ourselves now...  

Well if the nickname is a business decision, why would we let people who vote purely on emotion decide it? Just let the business consultants decide it.

(Not aimed at you yzer ... but) ....

And there it it. 

Long ago, when it was clear the old name had been lost, I said (ad infinitum, ad nauseum) that those of us who do care need to "control what is ours to control". 

The sentiment in yzer's post is exactly what I feared.

The powers that be (see: Kelley) beat us into process-committee-process submission so they could feed us pablum (see: inoffensive "adjective birds" or not-a-word, no real meaning, postal abbreviations) and prove their "superiority" by not even following their own processes. 

And that's why I say Roughriders. It's not academic-approved pablum. 

For the record, I also support Roughriders.  Also for the record, I never had a vote. 

It is commonplace for a commmittee with an agenda to try and create apathy on the opposition in order to accomplish their goal

• Upvote 2

For the record, I also support Roughriders.  Also for the record, I never had a vote. 

It is commonplace for a commmittee with an agenda to try and create apathy on the opposition in order to accomplish their goal

I wish those voting for Fighting Hawks would recognize this...unless you truly like the name.  Everyone says the consultants have done a horrible job, guess it depends on whose perspective your looking at.  It appears as though the consultants got us to do exactly what they wanted to do, which was adopt a non-controversial nickname (aka  Some variation of Hawk).

So Brad Berry and the Men's Hockey team can openly campaign for Nodaks, but supporters of Roughriders can't do the same? What world are you living in?

And since you brought it up, the Nodaks crowd hasn't exactly been polite about their support for their choice either.

Bottom line: I want this done right and I want this done as soon as possible. This is dividing our fan base and that is not good. I will support our teams no matter what happens and I would like to get back to arguing with Bison and Gopher fans instead of each other.

Define campaigning?

The superiority complex of some people on this site regarding a nickname is astounding.  I think we'd all agree this is a less than ideal scenario but continually harping that your choice is somehow factually better than another is just ridiculous.  As Stoneysioux has stated, you're not changing anyone's mind by putting people down and dividing our fanbase. 

Also... do we really care what other fanbases say about our nickname? That's what we're going for? Something that Gopher, Pioneers, and Maverick fans will pat us on the back for and say "hey great nickname, I wish that was ours".  This isn't going to happen.  We had the best logo and nickname in the country (my opinion) and that still happened. 

Well said, brother.

The gif you attached to my post, now fully applies to this one :)

read the fine print, chief.  I said the "condensed version."   I've given my reasons on here several times before.

I do find the pompous attitude of roughrider supporters quite interesting to put it mildly.  There were 5 choices.  One out of 5 people voted for roughriders.   (which, for the mathematically challenged, also means 80% didn't like roughriders enough to vote for it.)

I'm not sure if you are including me in this or not, but to clarify......you said Roughriders suck, and I basically said.....yeah and so does Nodaks.  And sorry if I missed your other more detailed reasonings on why you think RR's sucks, I haven't been taking notes and keeping track.  :)   

This thread is as big a mess as this whole process. 

FWIW: I voted RR and now will be voting Nodaks. 

And here's my problem.    I voted Nodaks but was inclined to vote RR (prefer either option to FH).    But now we would cancel each other out.    This is what I fear....RR and Nodaks voters swapping votes and cancelling out while FH voters win the day.  Argh.

And here's my problem.    I voted Nodaks but was inclined to vote RR (prefer either option to FH).    But now we would cancel each other out.    This is what I fear....RR and Nodaks voters swapping votes and cancelling out while FH voters win the day.  Argh.

And this is the reason Kelley changed the rules to allow 3 names in the run-off instead of 2. He wants Fighting Hawks.