SiouxSports.com Forum

We can make this Roughriders vrs. Fighting Hawks

NDinCO

I'm not sure if you are including me in this or not, but to clarify......you said Roughriders suck, and I basically said.....yeah and so does Nodaks.  And sorry if I missed your other more detailed reasonings on why you think RR's sucks, I haven't been taking notes and keeping track.  :)   

no, I wasn't including you in it.  Some RR supporters' bashing of every other name had reached a new record high, while at the same time they were asking people who preferred other choices to come join them in voting RR.   Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not sure if you are including me in this or not, but to clarify......you said Roughriders suck, and I basically said.....yeah and so does Nodaks.  And sorry if I missed your other more detailed reasonings on why you think RR's sucks, I haven't been taking notes and keeping track.  :)   

Dude, you really need to work on that. I have notebooks, binders, post its, all sorts of stuff filed away on this. :)

This whole thing is such a gong-show.   Over it.  Call them whatever the hell you want.

yep.  I abstained from voting because all the options sucked in my opinion.  Now we have a corrupt process to pick one of these lack luster names.  My give a $h1t factor has now hit zero.  I am embarrassed over how our university has handled this and can't wait until President Bob is out the door.  No matter what name has been selected/manipulated....

Fighting Sioux Forever!!!

• Upvote 2

And here's my problem.    I voted Nodaks but was inclined to vote RR (prefer either option to FH).    But now we would cancel each other out.    This is what I fear....RR and Nodaks voters swapping votes and cancelling out while FH voters win the day.  Argh.

Stick to nodaks ;)

• Upvote 2

While I fully support anyone who wants to move into the Nodak camp .... in reality, there is no reason to start switching votes at this point. Not when there is going to be a 3rd vote.

If you don't switch votes now, Nodak may not make it to the Third vote. Just vote how you want people!

It will be interesting to see the reallocation of the Sundogs and Northstars voters, especially with Nodaks and Roughriders being so close. Will Roughriders pull away or will Nodaks end up taking the lead. Essentially, this votes seem like it is more to determine the favorite between Nodaks and Roughriders. It will then be intersting to see if enough people switch between those two names in the final vote. I know I'm voting Nodaks, but I would much rather see Roughriders than Fighting Hawks.

I still think there is a good chance that Fighting Hawks does not win this.

I'm voting Roughriders, but there is no way on this earth that I will ever vote for Nodaks. It is the worst of the choices by far. I don't care much for Fighting Hawks because it is generic, but at least it does not subject us to ridicule for having a name that makes us sound like a bunch of hicks. If it is between Nodaks and Fighting Hawks, I will vote for Fighting Hawks.

• Upvote 3

I'm voting Roughriders, but there is no way on this earth that I will ever vote for Nodaks. It is the worst of the choices by far. I don't care much for Fighting Hawks because it is generic, but at least it does not subject us to ridicule for having a name that makes us sound like a bunch of hicks. If it is between Nodaks and Fighting Hawks, I will vote for Fighting Hawks.

Well if you don't like Nodaks, then we don't really care what you think. So please stop posting your nonsense!

Just kidding, its the beauty of everyone getting a vote. Until Kelly changes the process against to only allow certain individuals to vote.

Go Nodaks!

It will be interesting to see the reallocation of the Sundogs and Northstars voters, especially with Nodaks and Roughriders being so close. Will Roughriders pull away or will Nodaks end up taking the lead. Essentially, this votes seem like it is more to determine the favorite between Nodaks and Roughriders. It will then be intersting to see if enough people switch between those two names in the final vote. I know I'm voting Nodaks, but I would much rather see Roughriders than Fighting Hawks.

I still think there is a good chance that Fighting Hawks does not win this.

I think Roughriders will receive a huge bump from Sundog supporters.   I've heard the urban dictionary brought up in these nickname threads a few times in regard to sundogs.  The first definition of a sundogger is almost identical to the second definition listed for a roughrider.   So I would think the similarities would help roughrider poling.  er, polling. 

So I think the Roughrider supporters can rest easy, as it will make it thru to the next round of voting.   In fact I don't even think it's necessary for everyone to bother to vote this time; it will easily beat out Nodaks.

:xmas:

Teddy Roosevelt is quoted as follows:

"I have always said I would not have been President had it not been for my experience in North Dakota."

"It was here that the romance of my life began."

"I grow very fond of this place, and it certainly has a desolate, grim beauty of its own, that has a curious fascination for me."

I love North Dakota and it's history. It is wonderful that we have a connection to a man who became
President of the United States. A man who lead the "Roughriders" in their famous charge up San Juan Hill. A man who loved North Dakota and was appreciative of how the state impacted his life.

I will be voting for Roughrider as the UND nickname.

I can't believe you forgot to add this quote from TR as well:

‘I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth.’ 

‘I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth.’ 

Guess Ron His Horse is Thunder forgot about that quote too, as well as many Native Americans of his time. 

Wonder why they still put him on Mt Rushmore and his name on the National Park in North Dakota? 

TR has been cleared in the court of public opinion. 

We celebrate genocidal historical figures around here by giving them national holidays.

... and I assume you had no problems with the nickname Sioux, who scalped and brutalized people?   This is the very reason we will end up getting a generic name like Fighting Hawks because you can find skeletons in everybody's closet.  Romans 3:23 .

• Upvote 2

... and I assume you had no problems with the nickname Sioux, who scalped and brutalized people?   This is the very reason we will end up getting a generic name like Fighting Hawks because you can find skeletons in everybody's closet.  Romans 3:23 .

I am wondering why you would assume this.  To your second sentence, a good point well put.

I am wondering why you would assume this.  To your second sentence, a good point well put.

Yes, I guess that was an assumption.  There are so many things in our history that we aren't proud of, but put us where we are today.  Without Manifest Destiny our country doesn't look like it does today, and we wouldn't be having this conversation about UND.  We can only hope we learn from those historical circumstances.  

We're not trying to be the UND Teddy Roosevelts.

Did any Sioux leaders ever say anything derogatory in 1910? I'd guess probably many.

The previous poster quoted Teddy as well.  But your point is accurate, I'm guessing many people said derogatory statements about Native Americans back in those days.