SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

If they blew this whole thing up and kept names that weren't offensive like Nokes and Arrows we could have at least had unique options to choose from.  True, some people would still hate them, but after what we've been through, I would take something like that in a heartbeat.

they deserved a spot at the table

talked to a student:

Me: why do you think the students like FH so much?

Student: it sounds cool, they could have a cool mascot

Me: what does that have to do w/ ND,

Student: Nothing, i guess.

Me: how you feel about Rough Riders

Student: NO! we cant Steal from  a highschool, everyone would wear the same clothes, I dont want it to be too western!

Me: Wow, ok anything else?

Student: there are many kids that wouldnt come here if that were our logo, id rather go to NDSU.

ME: (grabs gun)

Tough to overcome the stupidity of youth.

"Can't fix stupid"!

talked to a student:

Student: it sounds cool, they could have a cool mascot.

Me: what does that have to do w/ ND,......well there are at least 9 Hawks found in ND so kind of surprising that neither of you knew that?

Student: NO! we cant Steal from  a highschool, everyone would wear the same clothes, I dont want it to be too western!

Student: there are many kids that wouldnt come here if that were our logo, id rather go to NDSU......well, this is just stupid.

Student: it sounds cool, they could have a cool mascot..............correct ....although I still wish if we were going Bird that it would have been Falcons related

Student: NO! we cant Steal from  a highschool, everyone would wear the same clothes, I dont want it to be too western!.............I actually have no problem with this answer. Like it our not, UND's reputation used to be that the students were more urban(lots of Twin Cities kids) while NDSU was the small town kids and this created different cultures at the schools and was part of the reason I went to UND as even though Fargo might seem more urban than Grand Forks as a town the campus life and culture was the other way around.

Student: there are many kids that wouldnt come here if that were our logo, id rather go to NDSU......well, this is just stupid....the going to NDSU part I mean. Looking at some of the Roughrider logos that have been proposed here would probably make some of the larger city kids think look at that logo.....what a bunch of nodaks.(see what I did there?)

I see there's a lot of student bashing going on lately out of frustration with their preference for fighting hawks.   Fetch made a comment a few days ago that really got me thinking.  He said Roughriders is just too old school for the kids.   I hadn't thought of it in that light before.  But, I can see how the students may view both Nodaks and Roughriders as old timer names....  old hick farmers, or 1800's cowboys....  Some/most of us that post here are older and maybe more nostalgic, and don't even think twice about an "older" looking logo or theme.    At their age, the students are  looking at future only.  Maybe Hawks wasn't on their short list at the beginning of the process either, but given the 5 choices, it may have become their favorite by default. 

I was surprised the voter turnout wasn't greater.   The low voter turnout has given the current students a much larger influence on the outcome than I would have imagined.  

talked to a student:

Student: it sounds cool, they could have a cool mascot

Me: what does that have to do w/ ND,

Student: there are many kids that wouldnt come here if that were our logo, id rather go to NDSU.

Wouldn't we actually WANT those students to go to NDSU instead?

The Fighting Falcons?   I could have gone with that.

Student: it sounds cool, they could have a cool mascot..............correct ....although I still wish if we were going Bird that it would have been Falcons related

I see there's a lot of student bashing going on lately out of frustration with their preference for fighting hawks.   Fetch made a comment a few days ago that really got me thinking.  He said Roughriders is just too old school for the kids.   I hadn't thought of it in that light before.  But, I can see how the students may view both Nodaks and Roughriders as old timer names....  old hick farmers, or 1800's cowboys....  Some/most of us that post here are older and maybe more nostalgic, and don't even think twice about an "older" looking logo or theme.    At their age, the students are  looking at future only.  Maybe Hawks wasn't on their short list at the beginning of the process either, but given the 5 choices, it may have become their favorite by default. 

I was surprised the voter turnout wasn't greater.   The low voter turnout has given the current students a much larger influence on the outcome than I would have imagined.  

I think it's gonna be lower with each vote, as well. I said it before, I'm really really surprised by how abundant apathy is on this. 

• Upvote 1

Falcons would have been better.  Going with the bird theme, I'd have preferred an owl.

• Upvote 1