SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

This just in.... Twamley says a third vote could be an option to ensure at least a 50 percent majority.

http://und.edu/news/2015/10/new-runoff-voting.cfm

Why don't we just have a round robin tournament of voting?  All three together, then Fighting Hawks vs. Nodaks, Roughriders vs. Fighting Hawks, Nodaks vs. Roughriders, then vote again between the three of them?  Or maybe President Kelly wants to change his mind again and bring more names back into the conversation?  What a clustermuck this has become.

I really don't understand how people could still be angry about this other than they want the winner to be Roughriders no matter if that's what the majority wants. 

Probably right.

Any bets on how long it takes for a lawsuit to be filed by Red River HS or Mayor "Hawk" from Bismarck (who apparently owns everything) claiming that UND is stealing their trademark name?

What are the proper channels?  The consulting firm was hired to help with the committee.  The committee has been disbanded.

Talk to someone who has more expertise in these elections aand public communication to not continually put themselves in poor situations but giving themselves arbitrary rules. 

Good news but I agree with Sic, it should be between two choices right now.

its embarrassing that the leadership at UND is so cognitively deficient they could not foresee the problem with a 3 way runoff.

What do you expect? They could screw up a two-car parade ... by somehow putting a third car in it. 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 1

So ... they arbitrarily change the rules from "5 -> 2" to "5 -> 3". 

Then they figure out, "We won't get a majority" and backtrack. 

No, they figured they'd split the alumni between 'riders and 'daks and get their generic <adjective><bird>. But people called them on it. 

But I still say they should follow the original rules as presented. 

I'll agree with everyone in the camp of "this vote should be between 2 names, not 3. I also agree with those that say, the reason for including the third option is probably because the number of votes were so close between the 2nd and 3rd options, that there would have been an uproar from the Nodak group. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm not saying changing the rules was right, but it happened.

I do think that the school is, at least, right in ensuring that there is a 50% winner by utilizing a 3rd vote, rather than just using the results with the highest percentage in this vote.

• Upvote 2

What will UND do if the top vote gets under 50%, but the bottom two are too close?

Based on the fiasco they've already created, they surely have put their < part of anatomy > into the wringer, eh?

Eh, they'll just "Don Adam" it ... again. 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Honestly, at this point. I don't even care about the process or how screwed up it is. The University will continue doing what they want. I think all integrity in the process, and any remaining faith by the voters is all but lost. At this point I'll just vote for who I want and when I'm told do.

The end result will be what it will be. I still have my opinion on the name, but I'm getting pretty apathetic here.

Go Sioux!!

Go Nodaks!

Go Roughriders

What will UND do if the top vote gets under 50%, but the bottom two are too close?

I wonder what UND would do if we all scrutinized the actual mission stuff at the school, you know, like teaching and learning, the way we do an athletic nickname?  That'd be something.... They'd be "Don Adaming" everything 24/7!  Thank goodness we and they got our/their eye on the important stuff. :lol:  Mea culpa: I'm as guilty as anyone.

Edited by Teeder11

I wonder what UND would do if we all scrutinized the actual mission stuff at the school, you know, like teaching and learning, the way we do an athletic nickname?  

Fire some faculty and staff that ain't gettin' it done? I have a list. Need a copy?