SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

So when does the voting begin for a new logo and how many rounds of voting will that go? Did Arkansas St, Indiana, PA and other former NA nicknamed schools have this much trouble picking a name? GF Central's nickname process was a hell of a lot smoother than this clusterf$&k.

Probably. But, again, I think that was the right decision to, in the end, not do it.  We are already "North Dakota." Just my opinion, though. 

as long as we are bringing that up again, i agree with you for the most part but i think we should have been just north dakota for 5ish or so more years. At some point I think a new nickname would have gradually picked up some momentum rather than being this forced

• Upvote 1

as long as we are bringing that up again, i agree with you for the most part but i think we should have been just north dakota for 5ish or so more years. At some point I think a new nickname would have gradually picked up some momentum rather than being this forced

That's a good point. 

I've been dealing with this for going on 35 years (1980ish), and lived in the epicenter of it for about half that long...admittedly, my motives are selfish, I couldn't stand another five more years of this. 

Edited by Teeder11
  • Upvote 4

I've always wondered how it was determined that "FIghting Hawks" fit the original criteria that was laid out for the committee and how not one person on the committee ever asked that question. 

This got my curiosity going, so I'm posting the original criteria just for kicks...

1)Be unique, recognizable,inspiring and distinctly UND
2)Promote a sense of pride,strength, fierceness, andpassion
3)Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions & heritage of the past but also looks to the future
4)Be a unifying & rallying symbol
5)Ease of Depicting/Personifying Physical Mascot
6)Cheer/Battle Cry Considerations
7)Meaning of Nickname
8)Linguistic Considerations: Pronounciation
9)Linguistic Considerations: Likelihood of name being abridged resulting indifferent name or name similar to existing name

• Upvote 1

This got my curiosity going, so I'm posting the original criteria just for kicks...

1)Be unique, recognizable,inspiring and distinctly UND
2)Promote a sense of pride,strength, fierceness, andpassion
3)Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions & heritage of the past but also looks to the future
4)Be a unifying & rallying symbol
5)Ease of Depicting/Personifying Physical Mascot
6)Cheer/Battle Cry Considerations
7)Meaning of Nickname
8)Linguistic Considerations: Pronounciation
9)Linguistic Considerations: Likelihood of name being abridged resulting indifferent name or name similar to existing name

.....and we may be the Fighting Hawks.  

This just in.... Twamley says a third vote could be an option to ensure at least a 50 percent majority.

http://und.edu/news/2015/10/new-runoff-voting.cfm

So the question would be if none reach 50 percent, and the last two are close, then what do you do? Now it would be better to use the Herald voting idea.

Now see Jim brought up this possibility.  How would the other two feel if they were close but ousted by Nodaks to get to the runoff.  They would be asking why close isn't utilized in this round.  They sure set themselves up.  Why do they keep acting without thinking?

Edited by tnt

That's a good point. 

I've been dealing with this for going on 35 years (1980ish), and lived in the epicenter of it for about half that long...admittedly, my motives are selfish, I couldn't stand another five more years of this. 

I imagine I would feel the same in your position. My fear is this is going to drag on longer because of all the twists and turns this process has taken and deviating from the original script as much as it has. My hope would be that in a few years that would be lessened and thus the feelings hurt afterwards would be lessened, but that might be a pipe dream

What will UND do if the top vote gets under 50%, but the bottom two are too close?

You mean if the Sundogs/North Stars people drop out or their vote goes pro-rata to the remaining three?  Realistic scenario.  If they figured out Florida's electoral votes 15 years ago I think we can sort through this, right? 

Kelley should just come out and admit what an utter buffoon he is, then go back to the original plan and have the vote between the top two from round one. 

Btw,  Does anyone have an idea how much it will cost the university to have a third vote?  I'm pretty sure that Qualtrics is not doing it out of the goodness of their heart...

Kelley should just come out and admit what an utter buffoon he is, then go back to the original plan and have the vote between the top two from round one. 

Btw,  Does anyone have an idea how much it will cost the university to have a third vote?  I'm pretty sure that Qualtrics is not doing it out of the goodness of their heart...

Just read on Twitter the students in College of Indian Studies at UND are picking up the tab.

• Upvote 1

welcome

as long as we are bringing that up again, i agree with you for the most part but i think we should have been just north dakota for 5ish or so more years. At some point I think the old nickname would have continued to be used and UND would not be forced to move on.

FYP

Edited by Siouxperfan7

They're still manipulating. They should be stepping back and implementing the process as advertised originally. This (Nov 2-6) should be two options, not three. 

Was it planned all along to allow more time for Nodaks (the name the most influential person at UND has publically stated for) to continue to gain momentum? Some people believe so from listening to 1310am today. 

We are back to the same old rules....*with a new vote sandwiched in between to let Nodaks, the third place vote getter, to keep going.

Edited by Cratter

If they blew this whole thing up and kept names that weren't offensive like Nokes and Arrows we could have at least had unique options to choose from.  True, some people would still hate them, but after what we've been through, I would take something like that in a heartbeat.

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 4