SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

Wouldn't we actually WANT those students to go to NDSU instead?

The Fighting Falcons?   I could have gone with that.

I could have been happy with a form of that and just be Peregrines.  You could still have a Falcon logo, but have a unique name that has a few ties locally.  Yes, Peregrines doesn't sound right initially, but all unique names need some time to grow on you.  

• Upvote 1

I see there's a lot of student bashing going on lately out of frustration with their preference for fighting hawks.   Fetch made a comment a few days ago that really got me thinking.  He said Roughriders is just too old school for the kids.   I hadn't thought of it in that light before.  But, I can see how the students may view both Nodaks and Roughriders as old timer names....  old hick farmers, or 1800's cowboys....  Some/most of us that post here are older and maybe more nostalgic, and don't even think twice about an "older" looking logo or theme.    At their age, the students are  looking at future only.  Maybe Hawks wasn't on their short list at the beginning of the process either, but given the 5 choices, it may have become their favorite by default. 

I was surprised the voter turnout wasn't greater.   The low voter turnout has given the current students a much larger influence on the outcome than I would have imagined.  

Sioux was an "old timer's name" and they don't have a problem with that.  When I think of a University, I think of traditions and history.  Some of the most popular apparel people wear have a "throw back" appearance to them.  Even as a University student, I appreciated the "old Sioux logos" or older/traditional looking apparel as opposed to the "newer looking" apparel.  As an example, I much prefer the horizontal stripes on the hockey jersey than the "slant" stripes they used to have.  

Sioux was an "old timer's name" and they don't have a problem with that.  When I think of a University, I think of traditions and history.  Some of the most popular apparel people wear have a "throw back" appearance to them.  Even as a University student, I appreciated the "old Sioux logos" or older/traditional looking apparel as opposed to the "newer looking" apparel.  As an example, I much prefer the horizontal stripes on the hockey jersey than the "slant" stripes they used to have.  

IMO that's because there's a history and tradition.  If there was never a Sioux name at UND and they were voting today for a new name, they wouldn't choose Sioux, either.

Lets be real:  The students are flocking to Fighting Hawks for these 3 main reasons

1) It has fighting in it

2) That logo that was passed around

3) H.A.W.K.S (How About We Keep Sioux)

What do they all have in common (they want the name that would best be the de-facto Sioux, generic name = still can chant for the Sioux). 

*What isn't knowledge is that #2 wont happen, and #1 can be changed...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IMO that's because there's a history and tradition.  If there was never a Sioux name at UND and they were voting today for a new name, they wouldn't choose Sioux, either.

Exactly!  Situation is completely different.  Sioux had a tradition and built in love .  What's being picked now is severely hated by many, regardless of which outcome we get.

All the conversation on here not withstanding, a small peak into my world: I will not vote Nodak.  My wife is vehemently opposed to Rough Riders (GFC grad).  Where does that leave us?  Yep, we're now down to "which is the least hated" in the house.  Fortunately for my being able to return to this board, she and I each have a vote and don't have to compromise :)

giphy.gif

talked to a student:

Me: why do you think the students like FH so much?

Student: it sounds cool, they could have a cool mascot

Me: what does that have to do w/ ND,

Student: Nothing, i guess.

Me: how you feel about Rough Riders

Student: NO! we cant Steal from  a highschool, everyone would wear the same clothes, I dont want it to be too western!

Me: Wow, ok anything else?

Student: there are many kids that wouldnt come here if that were our logo, id rather go to NDSU.

ME: (grabs gun)

That's just an absolute garbage reason to have Fighting Hawks.  I don't know how but I'm going to spread that gif for all to see how crazy it is to become another birdie. Maybe tweet it to Big Bad Brad Schlossman or Miller?
Oh and yea that kid can go to NDSU and become a bizun for all I care, I'd rather have UND be Roughriders along with RRHS, than UND be Hawks along with (Insert all the schools).  I'm also pretty sure no one outside GFK cares that there's a high school with Roughriders. My high school was the Rams and a lot of kids ended up going to Fordham U or U of Rhode Island, who are the Rams, and they loved it. "Once a Ram, always a Ram," they say. Whatever. Hawks it is. I give up.

• Upvote 1

I was in Orlando for a work conference this week and wore a polo with the interlocking ND logo on it and on several occasions it was mistaken for a Notre Dame shirt.  I think the logo will end up being a very important part of this process regardless of what the name is.  The logo needs to be unique and distinctive and we need to put money and effort into branding and marketing it on a wide scale.

On the other end of the spectrum, the pilot gave me a "Let's go Sioux!" while we were getting off after he saw my hat (interlocking ND logo).

• Upvote 2

I was in Orlando for a work conference this week and wore a polo with the interlocking ND logo on it and on several occasions it was mistaken for a Notre Dame shirt.  I think the logo will end up being a very important part of this process regardless of what the name is.  The logo needs to be unique and distinctive and we need to put money and effort into branding and marketing it on a wide scale.

On the other end of the spectrum, the pilot gave me a "Let's go Sioux!" while we were getting off after he saw my hat (interlocking ND logo).

I think the heyday of large apparel sales for UND are gone.

I think  people who are alum and graduated as a Fighting Sioux will be inclined to purchase the same type of apparel that is available now with the interlocking ND and The University of North Dakota, etc.

If it is true that most of the students are in favor of Fighting Hawks and the name ends up as something else I think apparel sales will suffer. Also i think most young people in the state would probably have similar tastes.

So who is the market? I guess it depends on what name we end up with.

I could have been happy with a form of that and just be Peregrines.  You could still have a Falcon logo, but have a unique name that has a few ties locally.  Yes, Peregrines doesn't sound right initially, but all unique names need some time to grow on you.  

I was originally going to say Peregrines as well but decided to keep it generic. They are also sometimes know as Bullet Hawks......hey look at that we just accidentally  came up with 2 names better than any of the remaining selections.

• Upvote 1