SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were three....

Teeder11

Interesting.

Implying that Kelley wants the "Hawk" name...hmmm..  I wonder how many students will change their vote based on this?  Hard to say...  Maybe it will make a social media splash? 

I've seen it on facebook too so its definitely making the rounds on social media.

Dude was a badass and he said he became a badass because of his time in North Dakota.  Even though Roughriders wouldn't have to have a Teddy symbol, who wouldn't want to be associated with him?

Get's shot in the chest before a 90 minute speech in Milwaukee, shrugs it off and gives the speech anyway:

http://www.history.com/news/shot-in-the-chest-100-years-ago-teddy-roosevelt-kept-on-talking

In order to idolize TR too much must be actively ignored.

Hey if the hawk and bird lovers out there want to get behind something, how about the fact that TR created several of the bird refuges in the state, and by executive order created a National Wildlife Refuge.   So yeah, he actually has done a lot of things for North Dakota and the country because his conservation spirit was born here.  Honor him for that alone in my eyes.

Edited by tnt

In order to idolize TR too much must be actively ignored.

True, we build people up way too high, and then look for every way possible to bring them down.  I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle between the myth and reality.  

we would be the only university named after an award named for a cavalry that had nothing to do with our state; maybe that's the "unique" angle being emphasized here.  

:-)

I just took this photo outside my office.   Go Yavapai College Roughriders!   Roughriders are pretty big here....

In case you're interested, here's some historical background:  http://www.sharlot.org/library-archives/days-past/rough-rider-sculpture-on-courthouse-plaza/

rr1.jpg

Edited by Sundog
  • Upvote 1

I guess the next question would be if the other finalists for michigans new name would include cavalries from half way across the country....

Maybe if it was one of the states nickname (Great Lake Staters?)......and/or Michigan Michiganders.

Edited by Cratter