SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

I was leaning towards Hawks but would want the "Fighting" dropped and/or dropped and replaced with Green, Prairie, or White.

So we have 1 acceptable name sort of, if you tilt your head and close 1 eye and squint with the other.

Since the idiots didn't bother to work on any concepts or marketing plans for the names left, I say we go with

The University of North Dakota Kelly which allows us a pretty wide range of options logo and/or mascot wise.

Wayne Nelson shares my sentiments exactly.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3845087-wayne-nelson-heated-debate-over-unds-nickname

Absolutely "no" to Hawks or Sundogs.

North Stars is somebody else's (Minnesota).

So is Roughriders, but more tied to North Dakota.  If this wins, I could live with it.

Nodaks says everything we need to say.  It even has a history of being used before.

To me NoDaks is just as generic as Hawks on top of being redundant.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wayne, hit the nail on the head as far as why I am choosing NoDak's.  It has been used previously, has history beyond the other ridiculous options.  Any of the nicknames left can be used as a "slur" to the university in some way, and it is the most unique, workable option left for me.  I would hope those that wanted the "North Dakota" option left on the table would hop on this band wagon.  My opinion is it is the best choice we have.

• Upvote 1

Wayne Nelson shares my sentiments exactly.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3845087-wayne-nelson-heated-debate-over-unds-nickname

Absolutely "no" to Hawks or Sundogs.

North Stars is somebody else's (Minnesota).

So is Roughriders, but more tied to North Dakota.  If this wins, I could live with it.

Nodaks says everything we need to say.  It even has a history of being used before.

Yeah, just like GFC "says it all" with regard to Grand Forks Central. :silly: And how long did that last, all of about 2 years?

Sorry, but "Nodaks" is just a different version of "UND/North Dakota", which is probably why Nelson is pushing for it.

And if it was so great, why was it dropped in the first place?

Roll Roughriders! (Screw the Climax-Fisher Rule; I cannot believe Wayne Nelson has bought into that argument).

Although no official logo's have been shown for each of the remaining names, the potential logo that will be used should play a role into your decision on what name to vote for.  Let's look at the remaining names and the options for a logo:

North Stars - Old MN Northstar logo, a star, a compass

Nodak -  current interlocking ND logo with "Nodak" written below, Written script saying Nodak, outline of the state with "Nodak" written in it

Sundog - a sun, a rainbow, ice, a dog, a sundog as it appears in nature

Fighting Hawks - many variations of a hawk including full body hawk, a hawk head, etc

Roughriders - Teddy Roosevelt profile, Teddy on a horse, a horse

Just initial thoughts on a potential logo for each name, but definitely something to think about when deciding on a name to vote for.

No to being named after a GF high school team, no to being just another Hawk, no to being named for the state of Minnesota's state motto, and no to being named after a sun halo/shadow. 

I vote for NoDak.  It's the closest to North Dakota, it's representative of who we are, it's unique, it's short and to the point.  

• Downvote 1

i dont understand the arguement about "being named after a GF high school team"

Thats not whats happening, we choosing a name that is best associated w/  our history and future.

Turns out a high school did a good job of that 50 years ago... doesnt mean its not the best choice.

As a 'transplanted' NoDak, I have never understood the North Dakota/Roughrider tie.  The Spanish American War, San Juan Hill, yep, North Dakota not so much.  When I think of Roughriders and North Dakota, I think of RRHS hockey.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wayne, hit the nail on the head as far as why I am choosing NoDak's.  It has been used previously, has history beyond the other ridiculous options.  Any of the nicknames left can be used as a "slur" to the university in some way, and it is the most unique, workable option left for me.  I would hope those that wanted the "North Dakota" option left on the table would hop on this band wagon.  My opinion is it is the best choice we have.

Nodaks is the absolute worst nickname of the 5 remaining, and possibly the worst nickname that could possibly be chosen. It is a derogatory term used by people from other states (primarily Minnesota) to refer to North Dakota. It personifies the "hick" image. It sounds terrible, and there would be no logo. As much as I hate Sundogs, Nodaks is even worse. The other 3 are infinitely better, and in order, I prefer: (1) Roughriders (2) North Stars (3) Fighting Hawks.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Nodaks is the absolute worst nickname of the 5 remaining, and possibly the worst nickname that could possibly be chosen. It is a derogatory term used by people from other states (primarily Minnesota) to refer to North Dakota. It personifies the "hick" image. It sounds terrible, and there would be no logo. As much as I hate Sundogs, Nodaks is even worse. The other 3 are infinitely better, and in order, I prefer: (1) Roughriders (2) North Stars (3) Fighting Hawks.

THIS x 1,000!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think this has been brought up, but maybe someone can resolve it for me. Isn't there some kind of trademark deal with that logo? I thought I remember someone saying that some other team tried to use it, and the Blackhawks successfully argued that it was too similar to their logo. Did I imagine that or does anyone have information on that circumstance?

I think this has been brought up, but maybe someone can resolve it for me. Isn't there some kind of trademark deal with that logo? I thought I remember someone saying that some other team tried to use it, and the Blackhawks successfully argued that it was too similar to their logo. Did I imagine that or does anyone have information on that circumstance?

Well, I think it's butt ugly anyway.

I spent 6 years at UND (BS, MS) and never once heard the term NoDak.  When it started coming up in the nickname discussions I honestly thought that it might be the name of another tribe.  IMO, it is far, far worse than Sundogs, which actually has some relevance to the state, and is not just some ridiculous, redundant shortcut name.  

The voters should choose Roughriders because it is the only name on the list that isn't awful.

• Upvote 2

http://icethetics.squarespace.com/blog/2010/7/12/a-history-of-logo-larceny.html