SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

OI don't hate this...

greenhawk.jpg

Agreed, this logo has been getting a lot of hate on these message boards but I think it looks great.  Now, it is a rip off of the Chicago Blackhawks logo but I liked someone's idea of having the same man who created the new Fighting Sioux logo mock up a design like this for us.  I think it's a neat way to incorporate the past logo while moving to a new one.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, this logo has been getting a lot of hate on these message boards but I think it looks great.  Now, it is a rip off of the Chicago Blackhawks logo but I liked someone's idea of having the same man who created the new Fighting Sioux logo mock up a design like this for us.  I think it's a neat way to incorporate the past logo while moving to a new one.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll be shocked if there is any connection to the Sioux logo in the new logo. The PCers just won't let it happen.

If we become the Fighting Hawks, we will have a generic hawk logo, like theses:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hawks+logo&biw=1280&bih=963&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIkti-0L6cyAIVA4I-Ch0pfAmf

I think most people like this logo, but if you think that a logo for the name Hawks will have any elements that could be deemed as Native American imagery, you're not being realistic. The irony of all of this is that Hawks was put forth by the consultant as a name that won't have any baggage, but with limitations on what you can do with the logo because of the feather aspect of it.  If arrows are unacceptable, feathers that look like a headdress will be too. 

Edited by tnt
  • Upvote 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll be shocked if there is any connection to the Sioux logo in the new logo. The PCers just won't let it happen.

If we become the Fighting Hawks, we will have a generic hawk logo, like theses:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hawks+logo&biw=1280&bih=963&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIkti-0L6cyAIVA4I-Ch0pfAmf

I guess that's why I would have preferred mock-ups of logos with the final 5 choices, makes the choice that much easier.

I think most people like this logo, but if you think that a logo for the name Hawks will have any elements that could be deemed as Native American imagery, you're not being realistic. The irony of all of this is that Hawks was put forth by the consultant as a name that won't have any baggage, but with limitations on what you can do with the logo because of the feather aspect of it.  If arrows are unacceptable, feathers that look like a headdress will be too. 

I obviously don't expect it to be as blatant as the logo I mentioned but I still think a really good logo could be made without essentially re-making the old Sioux logo.

Just a reminder to those that have relatives that are alumni and don't have emails to sign them up and get them registered before Thursday!  My dad is an alum but has no need for email but I registered him with Google and then verified him with the alumni association so there will one more vote for Roughriders in the ballot box.

• Upvote 3

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/3849266-letter-still-time-put-undnorth-dakota-option-ballot

Once again, if you are going to try to hide your obsession with the Sioux nickname via "let's stay North Dakota", don't bring up the Standing Rock vote and flat out write Fighting Sioux multiple times in your letter.  :silly:

Dont understand your complaint? He only says Fighting Sioux when talking about the past, he doesnt call them fighting Sioux any other time? " Obsession" yes, but by who...???

Just a reminder to those that have relatives that are alumni and don't have emails and want anything other than Roughriders DO NOT get them registered by Thursday!  If they want Sundogs get them a fake America Online account and just tell them that their vote for the Sundogs has been registered with the Alumni Association and tell them everything is done and verified and its time for their afternoon nap.

Edited by SIOUXFAN97
  • Upvote 1

Hey that was my idea!! :)  While we are at it, Get a side profile pic of Teddy Roosevelt looking to the left using similar colors!!  I am sure that wouldn't cause a stir! :D

Roughriders is the name I will be voting for.  But honestly, looking at the other 4....can anyone make a argument why any of them are better?

Nodaks - derogatory  name used by non-North Dakotans to refer to people from North Dakota

Sundogs - logo options are either a dog (unoriginal) or an icy rainbow reflection!!

Fighting Hawks - the list of schools changing from a native american nickname to a bird is ridiculous.  Lets not be yet another.

North Stars - nickname for the state of Minnesota.  Lame.

So there you have it.  While Roughriders isn't perfect, it is BY FAR the best option we have left.  Not saying it is the lesser of the evils.  Roughriders is a great name and I hope it wins the vote.  But I have yet to hear a convincing argument for any of the other 4 that would cause me to change my mind.

• Upvote 4

I'm Roughriders all the way but I don't mind Fighting Hawks. No to the others. As it relates to logos I would encourage people not to vote for fighting Hawks based on that logo that's out there though. It 100% will not be the logo UND comes up with. Same goes with some of the logos that have been passed around for Roughriders or the other names.

Whatever logo UND will use has not even been mocked up yet. This is a vote on the nickname and while using mock up logos or logos from other teams gives us some ideas UNDs logo is not made yet.

People should vote based solely on the name and logo potential. If you vote fighting Hawks just because you like that logo you might be disappointed. Not saying fighting Hawks couldn't have a good logo just saying it won't be that one.

whatever your opinions are I encourage you to vote based on the name you like not any logo that has been floating around b/c those logos won't be what UND uses.

• Upvote 1

Some thoughts when deciding what to vote for:

Sundogs - Besides the fact that we will be referred to as the "Dogs", and who wants that, especially with Duluth in our league! But the bigger problem is its meaning in the "Urban Dictionary". Google it. Nuff said.

North Stars - First of all, we are not the "North Star" state. That is Minnesota. Secondly, why do you want a specific name that belonged to another team. Plus you would inevitably run into trademark issues.

Roughriders - I agree, its a great name, but as with North Stars, why do you want a specific name that belongs to other teams, especially one of the local high schools in town. And also, trademark headaches.

NoDaks - At least with this one you are not borrowing someone else's name. The problem I have is that it becomes redundant. NoDak means North Dakota so we would really be calling ourselves the "North Dakota North Dakota's". Really?

Fighting Hawks - Not that I have a favorite, but this one is the lesser of all evils. I know there are other teams named the Hawks, but not as many named the Fighting Hawks. Also, it still allows us to use the word "Fighting". Plus the logos that I have seen floating around using the feathers are pretty impressive. Its probably the closest we can come to having a tie with our past while still moving on.

Uh ... new here?

Sundogs was first rolled out by the most PC group on campus, BRIDGES, i.e. the group that drove the name change in the first place. 

And  when Sicatoka was saying "Control what is yours to control";) It became control what is yours to control so we don't end up with something stupid and lame like Sundogs. It was and continues to be a running joke.

Fighting Hawks - Not that I have a favorite, but this one is the lesser of all evils. I know there are other teams named the Hawks, but not as many named the Fighting Hawks. Also, it still allows us to use the word "Fighting". Plus the logos that I have seen floating around using the feathers are pretty impressive. Its probably the closest we can come to having a tie with our past while still moving on.

If you're expecting the hawks logo to look anything like the one "using the feathers" that's floating around, you're going to be disappointed. 

• Upvote 3

Quick someone make a Ben Brien Sioux logo turned into a "Roughrider logo" and post it.... It seems people see that logo (the blackhawks turned hawks logo) especially on social media and think "sweet logo dude, sure i'll vote for that. Is that gonna be the new logo man?"

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 4