SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

High ankle sprain equals at least a month of not being 100%. Remember, he uses his legs quit a bit.

I see him being more than capable at 80%. If they struggle without him in two weeks, we'll see him in three weeks. I'd rather see him and leave no doubt of what teams better. If we win and he's not playing I can only imagine what will be said. I want this game straight up. Win or lose. 

• Upvote 2

I see him being more than capable at 80%. If they struggle without him in two weeks, we'll see him in three weeks. I'd rather see him and leave no doubt of what teams better. If we win and he's not playing I can only imagine what will be said. I want this game straight up. Win or lose. 

I've hear really positive things about Easton Stick too. It would be really tough coming in to play for the Bison, especially when there is already the pressure of being 0-1, but I have heard he is very capable.

• Upvote 1

I've hear really positive things about Easton Stick too. It would be really tough coming in to play for the Bison, especially when there is already the pressure of being 0-1, but I have heard he is very capable.

Kiper just texted me "Stick is no Wentz"

• Upvote 1

High ankle sprain equals at least a month of not being 100%. Remember, he uses his legs quit a bit.

Severity of this type of injury varies - it will be something to keep an eye on. Weber State game will be a good indicator of where that ankle is at for September 19th. 

Severity of this type of injury varies - it will be something to keep an eye on. Weber State game will be a good indicator of where that ankle is at for September 19th. 

The real measure of an ankle sprain is the next morning.........if you're tough, and Wentz is, you can play through it when it happens but the question is, what does it look like now?

The real measure of an ankle sprain is the next morning.........if you're tough, and Wentz is, you can play through it when it happens but the question is, what does it look like now?

not necessarily.  This is a high ankle sprain, and it is different from what most of us are familiar with (like a rolled ankle from pick up bball).  listen to the Jack Michaels show podcast.  He has an Ortho surgeon on talking about the physiology of a high ankle sprain.

not necessarily.  This is a high ankle sprain, and it is different from what most of us are familiar with (like a rolled ankle from pick up bball).  listen to the Jack Michaels show podcast.  He has an Ortho surgeon on talking about the physiology of a high ankle sprain.

I am not a Dr., just basing it off of personal experiences.  The question of how bad is the ankle?....the answer is I'll tell you in the morning.

a high ankle sprain is basically your two shin bones got twisted apart and the tendon conecting them was injured. So it's very different and more severe than the "normal" sprain that most people have experienced. Toughness is not a factor here.

a high ankle sprain is basically your two shin bones got twisted apart and the tendon conecting them was injured. So it's very different and more severe than the "normal" sprain that most people have experienced. Toughness is not a factor here.

Good clarification, I think alot of people just assume this is like a rolled ankle. Its not. If they think he may be able to play against Weber, I wouldn't expect this to be overly severe, BUT I've seen this be a lingering issue with some NFL player. You hear they have a high ankle sprain, and their return can be 2 weeks or 10 weeks. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, but for this kid's sake, and his future, I hope he heals and gets back on the field soon. A lot of eyes on him this season.

https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/conditions/ailments-of-the-ankle/Pages/High-Ankle-Sprain.aspx 

How long is the recovery?

As mentioned above, the recovery for high ankle sprains can take considerably longer than typical ankle sprains. In fact, it can take six to seven weeks before athletes return to play. In those cases in which a separation of the tibia and fibula or fracture has occurred and surgery is necessary, patients will likely need to be nonweightbearing in a cast followed by a walking boot for about 12 weeks. It is important to do early range of motion passively, meaning with the help of a therapist that moves the ankle, so help avoid stiffness. The screws are commonly taken out in a second, small surgery before full weightbearing is allowed so they will not break. 
Outcomes are generally good if the injury is recognized and treated appropriately. It is more likely, however, to have some stiffness of the ankle after a high ankle sprain as compared to a standard ankle sprain. This is especially true if a fracture has occurred. 

You know what would be really tough, being  a true freshman on the scout team......and coming in with one week of practice and an unproven offensive line and WR's and taking on Vernon Adams :)

• Upvote 2

1. Teams target known injuries on opponents all the time. It's common practice and widely known and done in football and hockey*. I'm fine with practice as long as it's kept within the limits of the rules (i.e. no bounties or illegal hits). Don't believe me? Look at all the times guys could try to tackle Tony Romo up around the shoulders but instead go in at the hip (lower back) level. 

2. Yes, I'm a moderator. And ... 

*In hockey they've gotten smart enough to stay abstract with ever popular "upper body" or "lower body" injury reports. 

Sicatoka,

Your comments are absolutely pathetic and cross the line big time. I have no problem with someone advocating to rush the QB because they are injured but to target the injury specifically ? Put < profanity removed > trash. I was speaking with a former Bison player last night while I read about his comment. His first were that in the 5 years he played under Bohl and Babich he never was told to target a player's injury.

These comments are the main reason why I never wanted NDSU to schedule UND. Pure classless losers. 

• Downvote 10

Sicatoka,

Your comments are absolutely pathetic and cross the line big time. I have no problem with someone advocating to rush the QB because they are injured but to target the injury specifically ? Put fucking trash. I was speaking with a former Bison player last night while I read about his comment. His first were that in the 5 years he played under Bohl and Babich he never was told to target a player's injury.

These comments are the main reason why I never wanted NDSU to schedule UND. Pure classless losers. 

Your comments that suggest UND is a dirty team and targets players lacks just one thing.  Proof!!  Has a UND player had a cheap shot on an opposing player in the last 120 years?  Sure.  Same could be said about every other team.  Including the "always the victim" Bison team.  But to label the UND football team as "classless losers" means that there is a trend of this occuring game after game, season after season.  I am calling you out on this one to back up your classless comment.  Let's hear it.  Give us some examples of this being a trend for our "Classless" team!!!   

The point was, if you're going to put a hobbled QB out there, expect him to see extra pressure. It isn't rocket science, it is game strategy. Kind of like clock management is but by the looks of things, not sure that one has reached FargoU yet.

• Upvote 4

Sicatoka,

Your comments are absolutely pathetic and cross the line big time. I have no problem with someone advocating to rush the QB because they are injured but to target the injury specifically ? Put fucking trash. I was speaking with a former Bison player last night while I read about his comment. His first were that in the 5 years he played under Bohl and Babich he never was told to target a player's injury.

So you think one person's comments identify an entire program and fanbase? Even you aren't that stupid. I agree that targeting a player's injury would be a horrible thing to do, and I also agree that making that extra effort to rush the QB because they are injured makes sense. If a player is going to try to play injured, they are giving up a competitive advantage, and the defense will try to use that against them; but that also doesn't advocate intentionally going after that players injury.

I have to imagine Sic's comments on the "gator ankle death roll" were intended to be somewhat satirical, and if not then that is somewhat unfortunate. Either way, let not generalize an entire fanbase on a single comment, which may or may not have been taken out of context; then take it to the next step and base your entire opinion of scheduling a specific school on that same individual comment. It is simply putting way to much stock in a message board post.

That being said, it is a fast paced game, and depending on where Wentz is with the high ankle sprain, he certainly is taking a risk going out there if he is not 100%. I can't imagine the coaching staff would EVER actually direct players to intentionally try to go after an injury. You probably need to calm down a bit on this one.