SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

No doubt NDSU could have just rasied prices $5 but they still would have been stupid if they didn't charge significantly more for the UND game.  Perhaps $40 or $45 for a regular ticket plus the additional $5 for UNI and $25 for UND, still nets them a lot more money.  Especially, when the school says they can't afford COA at this point, $50,000 looks a lot better than $0.  As for dynamic pricing, you first point makes sense but the second doesn't have to be necessary.  I think this year show's that is the case.  It's dynamic pricing, albeit not at the maximum amount NDSU could charge.

How does the increase in price in season tickets relate to this discussion as well?  Was it a natural yearly price increase or do you see the UND game having any effect?  Additionally, I heard there is now a mandatory teammakers fee included on certain tickets.  True?

When all other tickets are underpriced, and 80-90% of all tickets are sold as part of a single-price season ticket package, or distributed to students at no additional cost, it makes no sense to attribute NDSU's increase in ticket revenue to the presence of UND and UNI on the schedule. It's just not true that it was those games that allowed NDSU to increase its ticket revenue from either single-game, or season ticket sales.

If you're asking the question -- did NDSU's football-related donations increase as a result of scheduling UND? I suspect not, but I honestly don't know

BTW - Yes, there are mandatory Team Maker's membership requirements for most season tickets.

If the bison could sell their tickets for $20 more per game why wouldn't they? It would be dam stupid to be selling underpriced tickets with such a high demand. Is it because the Fargo hicks can't afford a more expensive ticket? I guess the trailer has to stay heated some how......

I believe its called marketing. I don't believe I know of ANY school that has raised its prices so drastically per game. NDSU takes a very measured approach. Over the last 10 years they have raised ticket prices, TM dues or both every year. Now they are requiring TM dues for end zone seating. Somewhere along the line they will increase prices for the first 10-15 rows as they are considered prime seating.

No doubt NDSU could have just rasied prices $5 but they still would have been stupid if they didn't charge significantly more for the UND game.  Perhaps $40 or $45 for a regular ticket plus the additional $5 for UNI and $25 for UND, still nets them a lot more money.  Especially, when the school says they can't afford COA at this point, $50,000 looks a lot better than $0.  As for dynamic pricing, you first point makes sense but the second doesn't have to be necessary.  I think this year show's that is the case.  It's dynamic pricing, albeit not at the maximum amount NDSU could charge.

How does the increase in price in season tickets relate to this discussion as well?  Was it a natural yearly price increase or do you see the UND game having any effect?  Additionally, I heard there is now a mandatory teammakers fee included on certain tickets.  True?

When did NDSU say they couldn't afford COA?

I guess you fail to understand how the tickets are priced. BTW how much are your season tickets? Seems yours are much cheaper. to help with the heating bills in GF? LOL

They are dirt cheap because there is no demand. Saves us some money to pay for overpriced beer. One day it won't be so easy to get a ticket

Let's be honest. Right now su has to be at least a four (maybe five) touchdown favorite in this game. Any four time returning champion would be. As far as su needing this game so that they could sell out their home games - no they don't need this game for that RIGHT NOW. su could easily charge much more for their games. Things change though.

When did NDSU say they couldn't afford COA?

They were pretty quick to state that they would be offering it after the original FCOA announcement and then a few months later stated they wouldn't be offering it. There have been comments from Larsen stating they are still looking into the costs and where the funds would come from.

When all other tickets are underpriced, and 80-90% of all tickets are sold as part of a single-price season ticket package, or distributed to students at no additional cost, it makes no sense to attribute NDSU's increase in ticket revenue to the presence of UND and UNI on the schedule. It's just not true that it was those games that allowed NDSU to increase its ticket revenue from either single-game, or season ticket sales.

So are you claiming that the NDSU athletic department doesn't know what they are doing?  That's the only logical explanation if it was as easy to do as you claim.  They finally had a simple reason to increase season tickets and they did.  Last year Montana was on the schedule along with "rival SDSU", yet ticket prices didn't go up.  This is also the highest aggregate total that a whole season worth of single game tickets cost.  Not coincidences.

They were pretty quick to state that they would be offering it after the original FCOA announcement and then a few months later stated they wouldn't be offering it. There have been comments from Larsen stating they are still looking into the costs and where the funds would come from.

So are you claiming that the NDSU athletic department doesn't know what they are doing?  That's the only logical explanation if it was as easy to do as you claim.  They finally had a simple reason to increase season tickets and they did.  Last year Montana was on the schedule along with "rival SDSU", yet ticket prices didn't go up.  This is also the highest aggregate total that a whole season worth of single game tickets cost.  Not coincidences.

No, I wouldn't exactly say they don't know what they're doing. What I would say is that the reason NDSU for which is ostensibly raising ticket prices is irrelevant. What really matters is the underlying conditions that allow them to raise those prices. Again, it makes no difference to the season ticket holder whether you increase the nominal face value of the UND and UNI games, prorate the same increase to all tickets, or adopt any other pricing scheme that results in the same price for the whole season ticket package.

As I've said before, IMO, NDSU could easily have generated the same, or perhaps even more, total ticket revenue without UND on the schedule. That's, of course, just my opinion, but I would say that the facts do tend to support that opinion. For instance, all single game ticket sold out in minutes on Saturday. It's not much of a stretch to say that they would have sold out for an extra 5 bucks a piece.

Edited by Gothmog

As I've said before, IMO, NDSU could easily have generated the same, or perhaps even more, total ticket revenue without UND on the schedule. That's, of course, just my opinion, but I would say that the facts do tend to sport that opinion. For instance, all single game ticket sold out in minutes on Saturday. It's not much of a stretch to say that they would have sold out for an extra 5 bucks a piece.

But my point is that they didn't and they have had a couple years of sold out season tickets to do so, so I'm don't think its as "easy" as you state it would have been or they would have done it.  And regardless of how NDSU is doing (in this case extremely well), they would have charged more for the UND game, just look at any other sport that the two have played in for proof.  The UND ticket price has always been the highest single game on the schedule (UND has done the exact same thing).  I'm not sure if there is a difference in season ticket prices, but when you're talking 15-20 games vs. 6, it is not quite an exact comparison.

But my point is that they didn't and they have had a couple years of sold out season tickets to do so, so I'm don't think its as "easy" as you state it would have been or they would have done it.  And regardless of how NDSU is doing (in this case extremely well), they would have charged more for the UND game, just look at any other sport that the two have played in for proof.  The UND ticket price has always been the highest single game on the schedule (UND has done the exact same thing).  I'm not sure if there is a difference in season ticket prices, but when you're talking 15-20 games vs. 6, it is not quite an exact comparison.

IMO, you're missing the point. It makes no sense to attribute NDSU's 2015 ticket price increase to UND's presence on the schedule, if NDSU could have generated the same ticket revenue without UND on the schedule. It's as simple as that. 

IMO, you're missing the point. It makes no sense to attribute NDSU's 2015 ticket price increase to UND's presence on the schedule, if NDSU could have generated the same ticket revenue without UND on the schedule. It's as simple as that. 

I get what you're saying.  But what I'm saying is that they could have done it the last few years with season tickets sold out and they didn't.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  Contributing factor?  Likely.

I get what you're saying.  But what I'm saying is that they could have done it the last few years with season tickets sold out and they didn't.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  Contributing factor?  Likely.

Could have done what? They have been increasing ticket prices the last few years. 

Larson never said we wouldn't be offering COA. He did say we wouldn't be offering it this year. Of course they are looking at funding. What school isn't. You can look for NDSU to offer COA. I take that view because of a personal conversation and an email I received.

Larson never said we wouldn't be offering COA. He did say we wouldn't be offering it this year. Of course they are looking at funding. What school isn't. You can look for NDSU to offer COA. I take that view because of a personal conversation and an email I received.

I should have been more clear, I meant in the coming year.  The word out of Fargo after the announcement in January was that NDSU would be paying FCOA going forward, though a portion of that was from the "fans" with all the inside information.  Within the last month or so, NDSU pulled back on that and announced they weren't doing it yet and are still looking into it (as are many non P5 and G5 schools)

I should have been more clear, I meant in the coming year.  The word out of Fargo after the announcement in January was that NDSU would be paying FCOA going forward, though a portion of that was from the "fans" with all the inside information.  Within the last month or so, NDSU pulled back on that and announced they weren't doing it yet and are still looking into it (as are many non P5 and G5 schools)

The official word is from the AD. NDSU has not pulled back as they never committed to this school year.

I saw a Big 10 Preview.  Their rules committee said no FCS schools starting in 2016.  Does this affect the SU vs. Iowa game or is that game grandfathered in?  Sorry if I missed it.

I hope no other conference does this.

It doesn't bother me at all if the bigs don't play FCS teams anymore. This IMO will make the top teams schedule each other like the bigs will be doing.

Ive  the Big 10 in not playing everyone in the conference if it was possible. but they got away from that and played what 3-4 ooc games against some tomato cans.

The fans hated those games. Now they are going back to old school schedules and playing teams that mean something.