SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:31 PM, GFG said:

He certainly wasn't happy about the hits, especially when you couple them with the dirty hits from last season. What's worse is that Eaves said he disagrees with the suspension to Wittchow and said he was going to appeal it. Just goes to show that Eaves doesn't believe in discipline. I honestly don't think it's as much about a rivalry aspect as it is Wisconsin getting frustrated about being consistently beaten by Minnesota. If Eaves can make them good again, although he should be fired because he's an awful coach and his teams are historically garbage more often than they're good, I think it'll be okay. If not, the B1G will have to start being much more aggressive in dishing out lengthy suspensions for lesser offenses to Wisconsin players to send the message that it's not going to be allowed. Downing for Michigan is the same way. He's been ejected 4 times against Minnesota and they've only played 5 series since the league formed.

I agree with the bolded part 100% How did he ever get that job in the first place? I had never heard of Eaves before Wisconsin hired him to replace Jeff Sauer. I was like "Who the heck is this?" I always believed Mark Johnson (Badger Bob's son) would replace Sauer and I think the Badgers would be in better shape now if they had.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with the bolded part 100% How did he ever get that job in the first place? I had never heard of Eaves before Wisconsin hired him to replace Jeff Sauer. I was like "Who the heck is this?" I always believed Mark Johnson (Badger Bob's son) would replace Sauer and I think the Badgers would be in better shape now if they had.

Seriously?  The all time leading scorer for Wisconsin, along with tons of time in the NHL as a player and assistant coach, and by the way he won one of those National Championships that you ripped Hakstol for not winning.  Parise and Suter both said he was one of the best coaches that they have ever had.  He may have run his course, but he had way more of a resume than Johnson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, LetsGoSioux! said:

I don't see gophers beating the Mavericks.  Anyone have that stat about the gophers vs the other 4 state of MN teams?  It is delightful.

1-11 in the last 12 against Minnesota teams someone on GPL said.

Penn State leads 3-2

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Seriously?  The all time leading scorer for Wisconsin, along with tons of time in the NHL as a player and assistant coach, and by the way he won one of those National Championships that you ripped Hakstol for not winning.  Parise and Suter both said he was one of the best coaches that they have ever had.  He may have run his course, but he had way more of a resume than Johnson.

That's correct, Parise did say that, after the World Juniors, I believe.   Eaves was a big time talent and also coached the USNJT and brought those ties to UW. 

I'm no Pairwise expert, but it just seems strange that Minnesota is at 17 in the Pairwise with a 5-9 non-conference record in a bad league, and St. Lawrence has an almost identical overall record with a better non-conference record from a good league, and they are at 27th in the Pairwise.  Is it still too early for all the comparisons, or what.   Just seems like a big discrepancy considering the non-conference records and the respective leagues.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tnt said:

The stars aligned for them in 2006, but other than that, they often played down to the level of their competition. They rarely made the Final Five in St. Paul and usually ended up in the 3rd place game. And yes, I was critical of Hakstol for not finishing the job at the end of the year despite having some of the best blue-chip talent in the country. But that doesn't mean I would have traded Hakstol for Eaves when both of them were coaching in college, Hakstol was clearly a better coach and recruiter than Eaves. Not to mention that Hakstol's teams (while often times overly conservative) were still 10 times as much fun to watch than Eaves and his pre-2004 NHL lockout style of hockey. Other than 2006, that program hasn't done much either within their conference (WCHA or Big Ten) or even nationally.

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm no Pairwise expert, but it just seems strange that Minnesota is at 17 in the Pairwise with a 5-9 non-conference record in a bad league, and St. Lawrence has an almost identical overall record with a better non-conference record from a good league, and they are at 27th in the Pairwise.  Is it still too early for all the comparisons, or what.   Just seems like a big discrepancy considering the non-conference records and the respective leagues.

No expert either. Just looking at it, I would think Minnesota would be right around Mankato at 24. They have similar records, both did poorly out of conference, are from bad conferences, and split with each other. 

I think those teams are really close to each other. Miami dropped from 18 to 23 with a loss and Duluth jumped from 24 to 17 with a win today. Does Jim Dahl still do his Pairwise analysis? That would be interesting to look at after this weekend.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

The stars aligned for them in 2006, but other than that, they often played down to the level of their competition. They rarely made the Final Five in St. Paul and usually ended up in the 3rd place game. And yes, I was critical of Hakstol for not finishing the job at the end of the year despite having some of the best blue-chip talent in the country. But that doesn't mean I would have traded Hakstol for Eaves when both of them were coaching in college, Hakstol was clearly a better coach and recruiter than Eaves. Not to mention that Hakstol's teams (while often times overly conservative) were 10 times as much fun to watch than Eaves and his pre-2004 NHL lockout style of hockey. Other than 2006, that program hasn't done much either within their conference (WCHA or Big Ten) or even nationally.

I don't see how Eaves survives this season. He shouldn't have survived last season. There is no reason a program like Wisconsin should have a 4 win season in a conference as bad as the Big 6. Now this year they only have 6 wins and two of those are against Arizona State (pretty much a club program). He will have fewer wins in two seasons than UND had before Christmas this year. This year will make 6 consecutive years without an NCAA tournament win. And worst of all his teams are ridiculously boring to watch. They've lost thousands of season ticket holders and if USCHO fan forum is any sign, they are about ready to tar and feather him.

He was probably the right call when they hired him but there is no way he is the right coach to be at the helm next year.

6 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

No expert either. Just looking at it, I would think Minnesota would be right around Mankato at 24. They have similar records, both did poorly out of conference, are from bad conferences, and split with each other. 

I think those teams are really close to each other. Miami dropped from 18 to 23 with a loss and Duluth jumped from 24 to 17 with a win today. Does Jim Dahl still do his Pairwise analysis? That would be interesting to look at after this weekend.

That kind of answers my question.  If there is that much volatility, then things will probably wash out at some time.  Would be interesting to see if Minnesota would drop below Mankato with a loss tomorrow.  My guess is they would, since it will be the rubber match.

1 minute ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I don't see how Eaves survives this season. He shouldn't have survived last season. There is no reason a program like Wisconsin should have a 4 win season in a conference as bad as the Big 6. Now this year they only have 6 wins and two of those are against Arizona State (pretty much a club program). He will have fewer wins in two seasons than UND had before Christmas this year. This year will make 6 consecutive years without an NCAA tournament win. And worst of all his teams are ridiculously boring to watch. They've lost thousands of season ticket holders and if USCHO fan forum is any sign, they are about ready to tar and feather him.

He was probably the right call when they hired him but there is no way he is the right coach to be at the helm next year.

I wonder how many talented kids they have lost because they weren't interested in backchecking for 45 minutes every game for four years? I imagine Hakstol and his staff benefited from that in the recruiting game.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, burd said:

That's correct, Parise did say that, after the World Juniors, I believe.   Eaves was a big time talent and also coached the USNJT and brought those ties to UW. 

I don't care what he did as a player, I think he has been very overrated as a college head coach. All the programs at Wisconsin have a lot of assets and resources to work with, but his teams have traditionally underachieved. If Madison wasn't so football and basketball crazy, I think Eaves would have been gone a couple of years ago. What's happening there now would not be tolerated in Grand Forks.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't care what he did as a player, I think he has been very overrated as a college head coach. All the programs at Wisconsin have a lot of assets and resources to work with, but his teams have traditionally underachieved. If Madison wasn't so football and basketball crazy, I think Eaves would have been gone a couple of years ago. What's happening there now would not be tolerated in Grand Forks.

I agree.  Alvarez has been nothing but derelict with the hockey program.  I was just commenting that Eaves had big time creds when he was hired. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tnt said:

You have to wonder when Eaves goes down, how many of the players he recruited will still have a scholarship offer.

I don't follow that program too closely, though I've lived in Wisconsin for 25 years, but I think Eaves has actually done a good job of recruiting high end talent.   What he's failed at, among other things (I think he's a little too controlling with his players and the morale suffers as a result--but I don't know that) is getting the balance of 2-year guys and 4-year guys.   Something the Sioux program has excelled at.  They have these real bad stretches as a result.  

I have to say, though, he seems to be a genuinely decent guy.  I met him at a local hockey fundraiser on an extremely hot July day in Wisconsin Dells 5 or 6 years ago, and Eaves had played probably 9 holes then gave a talk afterward.   Everybody looked a little drawn from the heat.  I was headed for my car, and saw him and his wife by their car close by.  I went up to him and introduced myself as a Sioux fan and thanked him for coming.  He must have been eager to get out of there, but he could not have been more courteous.   Introduced his wife and made some complimentary remarks about NoDak hockey, including an observation about the program up in Bottineau.   So I didn't put the potato in his exhaust pipe. 

• Upvote 1

Someone mentioned that Eaves' buy out is somewhere in the neighborhood of $900k. That's a lot of $ in isolation but maybe it's small potatoes to pay out compared to what the program has lost in recent past and future revenue due to dwindling season ticeket holders, attendance, etc? Not to mention the significant damage that has been done to the Badger hockey brand name and good will? Maybe it's time the school take a bite of the you-know-what sandwich by paying the buy out, and starting fresh with some new blood. 

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Someone mentioned that Eaves' buy out is somewhere in the neighborhood of $900k. That's a lot of $ in isolation but maybe it's small potatoes to pay out compared to what the program has lost in recent past and future revenue due to dwindling season ticeket holders, attendance, etc? Not to mention the significant damage that has been done to the Badger hockey brand name and good will? Maybe it's time the school take a bite of the you-know-what sandwich by paying the buy out, and starting fresh with some new blood. 

1000 season tickets gained back = about $400,000 per year... (20 games at $20 each)